Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 12:56 PM

482 posts, read 2,419,463 times

Advertisements

I've recently read a book called "Canada: A Nation of Regions" Canada: A Nation of Regions: Amazon.ca: Brett McGillivray: Books in which the point made is that Canada is really a Confederation of Regions.

It isn't just a regionalized country by size or economy but also socially. It states that the vast majority of people in Canada stay within their regions for most of their lives. Industries, people, culture, etc. thus create a feedback loop.

You do see this in Canada more so than even the US. Small town Ontario folks tend to move to Toronto for work, Saskatchewan folks move to Alberta rather than Toronto, BC to Alberta (back and forth) is a well worn path for many people throughout their lives.

You even see it in employment markets and academia. You even see it in how traffic moves and flows. Degrees from regional universities are much more valuable regionally than even in the next region over. Employers in Canada even prefer to hire folks from the region than newcomers from across the country (better fit they call that).

People from different regions even vacation and retire differently. BC folks to Arizona, California, Hawaii, etc. and Ontario folks to Florida, etc.

Is this a silly hypothesis or is there something to this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2012, 01:10 PM

179 posts, read 830,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajau View Post
I've recently read a book called "Canada: A Nation of Regions" Canada: A Nation of Regions: Amazon.ca: Brett McGillivray: Books in which the point made is that Canada is really a Confederation of Regions.

It isn't just a regionalized country by size or economy but also socially. It states that the vast majority of people in Canada stay within their regions for most of their lives. Industries, people, culture, etc. thus create a feedback loop.

You do see this in Canada more so than even the US. Small town Ontario folks tend to move to Toronto for work, Saskatchewan folks move to Alberta rather than Toronto, BC to Alberta (back and forth) is a well worn path for many people throughout their lives.

You even see it in employment markets and academia. You even see it in how traffic moves and flows. Degrees from regional universities are much more valuable regionally than even in the next region over. Employers in Canada even prefer to hire folks from the region than newcomers from across the country (better fit they call that).

People from different regions even vacation and retire differently. BC folks to Arizona, California, Hawaii, etc. and Ontario folks to Florida, etc.

Is this a silly hypothesis or is there something to this?
This is probably true IMO.

I think this has to do with the fact that Canada is HUGE and relatively unpopulated. Also the provinces have a bigger autonomy when it comes to their government than, say, a Federal republic with a whole bunch of states.

Old 03-02-2012, 05:00 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,528,229 times
I'd say alot of it also has to do with geography. For the most part each provincial population center is pretty isolated from the other ones, the only exceptions being the original upper and lower Canada, which are now divided by language, and the Maritimes, which are distinct because of their long histories and existence during periods where transportation was very difficult. Newfoundland's on an Island, Northern Ontario and Quebec are just far from everything, 14 hours of mountains separate Coastal BC from Calgary etc.

Old 03-02-2012, 07:44 PM

328 posts, read 997,304 times
Yeah it is also because Canada is more of a east west country and it is so vast. For example I mean a person from Toronto can get to Florida faster than he or she can get to Manitoba which is a bordering province. Kind of amazing when you think about it.

Old 03-02-2012, 10:03 PM

233 posts, read 538,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gosling View Post
Yeah it is also because Canada is more of a east west country and it is so vast. For example I mean a person from Toronto can get to Florida faster than he or she can get to Manitoba which is a bordering province. Kind of amazing when you think about it.
How is that?

Old 03-03-2012, 12:56 AM

1,726 posts, read 5,862,227 times
What do you mean how is that? It's about equal distance, and a faster drive, from Toronto to Orlando, Florida than it is to Manitoba.

Old 03-03-2012, 07:41 AM

832 posts, read 1,255,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poscstudent View Post
How is that?
well, canada is soooo vast... for instance when in nova scotia you are closer to Irland (Europe) than Vancouver (British columbia...) & the country is pretty much a vast desert, you have like hubs, one large city, then nothing for hundreds of killometers then another vast city... the only exeption is the golden horsehole which has about 6.5 million people

Old 03-03-2012, 07:42 AM

637 posts, read 1,027,015 times
tarp is right, driving to Florida from Toronto area takes less time and is
easier than driving to Manitoba.

Just driving to Thunder Bay is an exhausting 16 hours+ drive,
then another 5 hrs to the Manitoba border
Most of it 2 lane highway, not like US Interstate comfort.

Infact driving to Manitoba via USA is quicker and less stressful,
except for actually going through customs (twice).

Yes, Canada is a country of regions, no surprise there, it's big.

Most countries have regions, Canada is certainly not unique in that regard.

As for Canadians not moving around, I'm not so sure I agree.

Newfoundlanders have always moved to where the jobs are,
used to be Ontario, now they move to Alberta (oil sands).

I have moved to different regions myself and alot of people I talk to
in various Canadian cities have moved around too.
I'll be talking to a person in Calgary asking about something
and they'll say "I don't know, I just moved here from Ontario".

Sometimes I'll hear people on TV that are based in Toronto say, "You bet".
When I hear that I know they're orginally from Alberta or maybe
Saskatchewan.

Old 03-03-2012, 05:40 PM

233 posts, read 538,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayo2k View Post
well, canada is soooo vast... for instance when in nova scotia you are closer to Irland (Europe) than Vancouver (British columbia...) & the country is pretty much a vast desert, you have like hubs, one large city, then nothing for hundreds of killometers then another vast city... the only exeption is the golden horsehole which has about 6.5 million people
That still doesn't explain how someone can get from Ontario to the southern US quicker then its neighbouring province.

Old 03-03-2012, 06:42 PM

1,726 posts, read 5,862,227 times
Well maybe you should learn how to read a map, or at least how to use Google Maps or Mapquest then. LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada