Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2013, 07:07 PM

152 posts, read 567,056 times

Advertisements

Will be taking a cab from the montreal international airport to the hotel im staying at for 2 days. I used google maps and it takes about 25 minutes to get there. I will not be exchanging any usd for CAD money before i arrive as i was told its cheaper to use atms when im there.

I know Cabbies in montreal take american money but i have a few quick questions.

1. Are there any ATMs at montreal airport? That way i can just withdraw from it and then pay in CAD?

2. Do they accept debit card? If so, i assume you can pay the tip deducted from your debit card correct?

3. I used google maps and it shows 25 minute ride from airport to hotel. I used taxifinder and it shows 3.30CAD as initial fare, 30.57CAD as the metered fare and 5.08CAD as the 15 percent tip which comes to 33.87 CAD pretip and 38.95CAD total after tip. The cabbie will always tell you what the price is pretip correct? So if he says its 34 CAD then its about 39 CAD after tip. But since im giving american money, how much dollars should i be giving? Thus 39 CAD total, how much should i give american money because they will need to exchange this for CAD money afterwards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2013, 10:15 PM

1,726 posts, read 5,859,468 times
No, there's not a single ATM at the airport.

Seriously... how is this even question? Of course there's ATM machines at the airport. Every airport has them.

Old 09-01-2013, 10:29 PM

152 posts, read 567,056 times
I thought there was only those money exchange places there. I only went to a few airports and never used an ATM so i have no idea which is why i asked this.

Can anyone answer my other 2 questions?

Cheers.

Old 09-01-2013, 10:51 PM

3,379 posts, read 5,533,072 times
It's close enough, just give him the 39 or whatever. That is incredibly specific though. I don't ride cabs that often and didn't even really know it was a thing to tip them in Canada.

Old 09-02-2013, 12:42 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
There are money exchange places at the airport and although i've never looked i'd be amazed if there were no ATM machines Most taxis have portable billing machines that take credit cards or debit cards, just make sure the taxi you get into is so equipped before you drive away or you could ask the driver to stop by a bank along the way, fare from airport to downtown with tip was $45 a few months ago.
For $9 you could take the 747 shuttle bus to down town, not sure where it stops but it might be close,if not it would be much cheaper to take a taxi from downtown to the hotel than from the airport.
More about the 747 Aéroport P.-E.-Trudeau / Centre-ville shuttle | Société de transport de Montréal

Old 09-02-2013, 03:27 AM

3,624 posts, read 3,405,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Most taxis have portable billing machines that take credit cards or debit cards...
They do, but I very much doubt that a Montreal taxi is equipped to take a US-issued debit card. If it is part of Interac, sure, but otherwise, nope. A few American friends have found that their debit cards don't work here the hard way.

A Visa, Mastercard, or American Express (check with the cabbie as to AmEx) credit card should be fine. Discover cards are not accepted in Canada.

Best thing, OP, is to get Canadian money from an airport ATM, and pay the cabbie with that. Cash always works.

ETA: Don't give the cabbie American money. You will get hosed--the cabbie may well take it at par (you lose 5c on the dollar at current rates), or worse (you lose 10c to 15c on the dollar). Given that the two dollars are within shouting distance of each other, don't expect a break on using US currency. Use a credit card or Canadian currency.

Old 09-02-2013, 08:58 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,477,951 times
I would also suggest you go the airport ATM route.

Reasons why:

Exiting the airport terminal and arriving on the pick-up apron, you will be amongst a bunch of folks from mulitple flight arrivals all waiting and getting first-come, first-serve taxi's being herded forward by an airport staffer waving them forward from a line-up of waiting cabs. People themselves will also be waving those cars forward and it can get a little cluster-fudgy, like any airport arrival apron.

This staffer might even open the cab's door for you BUT you will not have the ability to check out the cab for earlier mentioned debit equipment. The routine is somewhat hectic with the driver jumping out to throw your bags into the trunk and you being seated simultaneously in the car.

Having cash on hand eases your angst over any complications arising after an already stressful few moments.

Old 09-02-2013, 10:06 AM

Why not just go to your home bank and get a couple of hundred Canadian bucks before you leave...

Old 09-02-2013, 11:58 AM

2,869 posts, read 4,449,141 times
Jambo :

Most US banks don't have CDN currency on hand, unless they are located in a border city or town. If it is a little small town bank, somewhere in Kentucky, the chances are zero that they will have any CDN money on hand.

Jim B.

Toronto.

Old 09-02-2013, 02:02 PM

For some reason i thought the op was from NYC
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada