Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2012, 05:00 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,060,466 times

Advertisements

I might consider living/working in Halifax, NS, Fredericton or Moncton, NB, or possibly a rural area/town for 6 months next year. I'm attracted to the rustic scenery, fall foliage, down to earth traditional people, experience a white Christmas in the north, the closeness to the NE US, the natural wilderness of the area, as well as Quebec and Newfoundland.

I'm Australian, 26, have a degree in town planning although only one year experience in that field so I won't be doing a profession related job there. I've worked at Toys'r'us as a customer service/floor person for a grand total of 6 months. According to the agencies I've spoken to I shouldn't have a problem securing casual employment. I plan to find a job on one of the ski resorts in BC or Alberta later this year, work there about 6 months, and then try somewhere in Eastern Canada.

Just wondering if there's a big job market for Aussies, Brits, and others who have the working holiday agreement with Canada in the Maritime provinces. I'm allowed to live and work for 2 years on the working holiday visa (no limit to how long I can work, although I want to take off at least 2 months to travel, if I'm lucky enough).

Are the cities of the Maritimes exciting places to live/work/play? What about opportunities in rural areas? Are there any ski resorts in the Maritimes? I'm assuming I'll get something in the retail/hospitality industry. If I did work out in the country or in a smaller city like Moncton, would I require a car? How do long-term rentals work?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2012, 08:43 AM

233 posts, read 538,484 times
Moncton isn't the most happening city, it can get quite boring there. However, I've only been a tourist there so maybe people who live there know where the fun is at.

Old 06-03-2012, 09:27 AM

3,059 posts, read 8,284,951 times
Moncton is a bilingual city so being able to speak French is a big advantage in getting a job. You may have better luck in Halifax. As far as ski resorts, there are a few - but they are small like the hills they are on:

45 minute drive from Moncton: PoleyMountain.com | Online Home of Poley Mountain Resorts Ltd.

1 hour from Fredericton, NB: Welcome | Crabbe Mountain

About a 1 hour drive from Moncton (located in Nova Scotia): Mountain - Ski Wentworth

About an hour from Halifax, NS: Welcome to Ski Martock - Home of Atlantic Canada's Best Snow

Old 06-03-2012, 09:39 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,060,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshineleith View Post
Moncton is a bilingual city so being able to speak French is a big advantage in getting a job. You may have better luck in Halifax. As far as ski resorts, there are a few - but they are small like the hills they are on:

45 minute drive from Moncton: PoleyMountain.com | Online Home of Poley Mountain Resorts Ltd.

1 hour from Fredericton, NB: Welcome | Crabbe Mountain

About a 1 hour drive from Moncton (located in Nova Scotia): Mountain - Ski Wentworth

About an hour from Halifax, NS: Welcome to Ski Martock - Home of Atlantic Canada's Best Snow
Actually come to think of it I would probably start there in the summer anyway. After working in a ski resort out west I'd probably want something new.

Although Toronto would offer the best urban life, I actually prefer to experience the more pastoral charm of the Maritimes. The coastal scenery is very beautiful, although we have beaches aplenty here...swimming is probably out of the question there anyway. I wanted to visit when I was in the NE US but lacked time. I would probably finish up there at the end of 2013, so would get the see the Fall colour. It would be awesome to also spend a white Christmas up there, maybe in Quebec City if I'm lucky!

I would probably lean towards Halifax. I mean I know it's not a huge city, but it'd be a good mix of city life with country hospitality/rural scenery. I lived in a small town of 2,000 for a year so I know what small small town life is like!

Old 06-03-2012, 09:44 AM

3,059 posts, read 8,284,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
...The coastal scenery is very beautiful, although we have beaches aplenty here...swimming is probably out of the question there anyway....
Not at all. Shediac has the warmest water north of Virginia, USA due to the Gulf Stream

Town of Shediac

Old 06-03-2012, 10:31 AM

984 posts, read 2,712,476 times
Hello Trimac,

I've seen you mention in a few threads that you are planning a working visit but haven't seen you discuss the paperwork involved. Most people can't just come and visit and work. They must get work visas that aren't the easiest to get. In your case you are fortunate that you are from Australia as they have a special arrangement but there is still some paperwork involved. https://www.whpcanada.org.au/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada