Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best place to move to?
Estevan, SK 0 0%
Lethbridge, AB 0 0%
Winkler, MB 0 0%
Regina, SK 0 0%
Winnipeg, MB 1 100.00%
Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2015, 05:11 PM

8 posts, read 30,315 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone, I hope you can help me find out the best place for me to move to.

I am a 29-year-old single female who will be relocating to Canada soon. I am doing some research and trying to compare a few places I am interested in:

- Lethbridge, AB
- Estevan, SK
- Winkler, MB

(possibly considering Regina, SK and Winnipeg, MB too).

I really don't mind living in small towns; in fact, I prefer them to big cities. For various reasons, what I am interested in is easy access and close proximity to the US, so places close to the border would be best. Any other interesting communities along/not too far from the border that I have overlooked? Any insights/tips much appreciated as I've never been to the area before (I won't have the chance to visit before I get my visa). Where would you move and why? Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2015, 05:57 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,405,340 times
Lol What exactly about Estevan and Winkler interests you? Those seem like really random choices.

Old 07-02-2015, 09:24 PM

3,624 posts, read 3,411,405 times
What is it that you do, and is it in demand in the locations you've specified? I ask, because there is a great disparity in populations, and most of your choices are not "small towns" by the Canadian definition of the word.

Winnipeg (pop. 663,000) is largest by population. Then comes Regina (pop. 193,000). These are the two largest among the five, so your odds might be better of getting a job there. Lethbridge checks in next, at 89,000 residents. Then come Estevan, at 11,000; and lastly, Winkler, at 10,600. As you can see, if your occupation is unusual or rare, you stand a better chance in Winnipeg than you do in Winkler.

I've never been to Estevan or Winkler, but I can comment on Regina, Winnipeg, and Lethbridge. All three are modern cities, with all services you'd expect of a city: roads, parks, schools, hospitals, malls, garbage pickup, public transit, and so on. All have universities and colleges, so the population swells and contracts with the school year. There are annual festivals and traditions. All three can be quite comfortable places in which to live.

Can I ask why "proximity to the US" is important? I'm asking because I've gone from Lethbridge to the US, and there is very little on the US (Montana) side for quite a while--the first town of any size you get to when travelling I-15 southbound is Shelby MT, which, at 3376 people, fits the definition of a small town; then you get to Great Falls MT, which (at 59,000) is a smaller city than Lethbridge. In other words, you won't find much just across the border, at least from Lethbridge.

Old 07-03-2015, 10:47 AM

7,309 posts, read 9,326,230 times
I agree with the other posters that your choices seem a little odd. I took the liberty of looking up your other posts and it seems you are from Italy. Small towns in western Canada are very different. It won't be of any help to be close to the U.S. border. 'Close' is relative and in that sense all towns in Canada are 'close' to the U.S. border, but since there is no town of any consequence right across the Manitoba-US border, it doesn't matter whether you are in Winnipeg or Winkler.

It would help if you told us exactly what a small town means to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada