Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2013, 02:55 PM

1 posts, read 2,863 times

Advertisements

Hey guys, I have just recently begun to seriously delve into the process of immigration into Canada from the US, but a solid location has not been discovered yet. Do any of you guys know of a place in Ontario that kind of has a feel similar to Asheville? Something artsy that's real close to nature. Bonus points for vegetarian stuff or a nice downtown area, bonus bonus points for a Catholic community. Sorry if I'm being too vague, feel free to get more out of me, I'm sure there's something.

Much obliged!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2013, 04:30 PM

19 posts, read 92,400 times
Not sure about Ontario, but if you want to go to British Columbia, Nelson BC is where you want to go.

There's probably a hip place like Asheville in Ontario - I'm sure someone will chime in.

Old 06-05-2013, 05:57 PM

26,874 posts, read 37,997,315 times
It's hard to find an exact match but probably the most interesting and charming cities in the 100-150,000 range in Ontario would be Kingston and Guelph. In both cities a good portion of cultural life revolves around the university as these are major university towns.

Old 06-05-2013, 08:03 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,520,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrightWhites View Post
Hey guys, I have just recently begun to seriously delve into the process of immigration into Canada from the US, but a solid location has not been discovered yet. Do any of you guys know of a place in Ontario that kind of has a feel similar to Asheville? Something artsy that's real close to nature. Bonus points for vegetarian stuff or a nice downtown area, bonus bonus points for a Catholic community. Sorry if I'm being too vague, feel free to get more out of me, I'm sure there's something.

Much obliged!
Can you tell us more about Asheville? I'm not really familiar with it outside of having heard the name. I can tell you that basically everywhere in Ontario will have a Catholic community, it's the largest single Christian group and there are approximately equal numbers of Protestants and Catholics in the province. Guelph and Kingston do sound like good fits as university towns, I'd got with Kingston though as being closer to undisturbed nature, Guelph is surrounded by cultivated farm land.

Last edited by BIMBAM; 06-05-2013 at 08:14 PM..

Old 06-05-2013, 08:10 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,486,569 times
Asheville has that liberal, artsy, hipster vibe.
basically a very small Portland, Oregon if i'm not mistaken?

Imagine would be easy to find something similar in Ontario.

Old 06-05-2013, 08:31 PM

Hmmm. Well, in that case I suppose Kingston still fits best, but oddly enough, I'd maybe consider Ottawa to. Sure it's a government town and much bigger, but it sometimes has that small town feel and is certainly very green and close to nature with Algonquin park and the greenbelt, even more so than Kingston in many ways. It also has a bigger arts community and cultural amenities because of its size but sometimes doesn't quite feel like a big city despite everything.

Probably the closest to Asheville (now that I've researched it) would probably be some cities in the Maritimes, the landscape of the Maritimes to me feels a bit closer to North Carolina than Ontario does.

Old 06-05-2013, 09:02 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Yeah, don't know of one in Ontario, but you'd live Nelson, BC.

Old 06-06-2013, 04:40 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,800,899 times
There are A LOT of churches in Asheville outside of the hipper-than-thou downtown area. In fact, the Catholic Basilica of St. Lawrence and the First Baptist Church are prominent buildings in Downtown.

Old 06-10-2013, 06:46 AM

1 posts, read 2,708 times
I'm from the Asheville area. I do not believe you would like Ontario. Look more towards B.C. or possibly the Maritimes as people say. I live in B.C. they have a very artsy & food healthy way about them here in Victoria. Expensive though, some of the other towns on the island are much more affordable.

Old 06-10-2013, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
There are A LOT of churches in Asheville outside of the hipper-than-thou downtown area. In fact, the Catholic Basilica of St. Lawrence and the First Baptist Church are prominent buildings in Downtown.
The same is true of the cities I mentioned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada