Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2013, 12:32 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,489,598 times

Advertisements

Breaking news has it that two individuals; John Nuttal and Marie Korodoy have been arrested and charged multiple charges relating to a plot to place "Pressure cooker" type (5) bombs in or around the B.C. Parliament buidings to have been detonated during Canada Day celebrations. A totally home grown pair of terrorists inspired by "Al Queda like" idealologies

Oh boy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2013, 02:17 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,526,770 times
Ugh. It's people like this that are destroying our freedom. I hate that the NSA is spying on me, but if they weren't, would this awful mass murder have been prevented?

Old 07-02-2013, 02:30 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,555,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
Ugh. It's people like this that are destroying our freedom. I hate that the NSA is spying on me, but if they weren't, would this awful mass murder have been prevented?
It's debatable. The NSA tactics did not prevent the Boston bombings.

Old 07-02-2013, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Uuuh, where did the TV announcement mention anything at all about the American NSA?

The RCMP were very careful to mention all their partners in this investigation and those consisted of CSIS, Vancouver Police force WITHOUT any mention at all of information coming to them via an American Security agency passing along info from data mining these two.

CSIS may very well have garnered info in the same manner but what the heck has that to do with the U.S. and it's NSA? Just ask'n.

Was there later info released of cross border co-operation that I'm not aware of?

Old 07-03-2013, 02:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Uuuh, where did the TV announcement mention anything at all about the American NSA?

The RCMP were very careful to mention all their partners in this investigation and those consisted of CSIS, Vancouver Police force WITHOUT any mention at all of information coming to them via an American Security agency passing along info from data mining these two.

CSIS may very well have garnered info in the same manner but what the heck has that to do with the U.S. and it's NSA? Just ask'n.

Was there later info released of cross border co-operation that I'm not aware of?
Well, not all the information was out yet when I posted that, but I knew CSIS was involved. I posted what I did because US intelligence services were involved with collaborating to prevent the attack a few months ago on the VIA rail trains by those guys in Montreal and TO. In this event it seems it was CSIS only, but the basic idea still seems valid to me. It just makes me doubt some of my own rhetoric about the surveillance, having something that close to home prevented. I was at the celebrations in Vancouver, so it kind of chills me to the core.

Old 07-03-2013, 02:28 AM

259,024 posts, read 90,595,230 times
When the bombs start going off in small rural towns randomly people will do what it takes to defend the homeland.

Old 07-03-2013, 04:20 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
If NSA type monitoring of peoples conversations can prevent bombing etc. i'm all for it sure it could be looked at as the potential for your privacy to be compromised but i think the potential to out terrorists and the like is worth the compromise.

Old 07-03-2013, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
When the bombs start going off in small rural towns randomly people will do what it takes to defend the homeland.
Uuuh; we already had that with the FLQ bombing mailboxes nonsense back in the early 70's and the Prime Minister of the day put the army on the streets in the Province with the problem while imposing a curfew. I remember vividly, a reporter stuffing a microphone in his face and challenging him with "well Mr Prime Minister what do you intend to do about this?" His answer: "just watch me!"

Kinda harsh? Maybe, but given the alternatives available then, it sure ironed out the kinks in a hurry.

So, I guess we had the terrorist thingy way before the U.S. and dealt with it summarily. One can only hope, given similar circumstances, a currently sitting Prime Minister would have the cojones to perform as effectively.

Old 07-03-2013, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Uuuh; we already had that with the FLQ bombing mailboxes nonsense back in the early 70's and the Prime Minister of the day put the army on the streets in the Province with the problem while imposing a curfew. I remember vividly, a reporter stuffing a microphone in his face and challenging him with "well Mr Prime Minister what do you intend to do about this?" His answer: "just watch me!"

Kinda harsh? Maybe, but given the alternatives available then, it sure ironed out the kinks in a hurry.

So, I guess we had the terrorist thingy way before the U.S. and dealt with it summarily. One can only hope, given similar circumstances, a currently sitting Prime Minister would have the cojones to perform as effectively.
Here's that moment, in living colour. Just before he declared martial law.

CBC Digital

Archives - The October Crisis: Civil Liberties Suspended - 1970: Pierre Trudeau says 'Just watch me' during October Crisis

Here's him doing it and his justification for it:

War Measures Act Broadcast - YouTube

I think one of our greatest achievements as a civilization is that this issue never got violent ever again. Through a commitment to democracy and law and order we've fought over the constitution, had two separation referendums, had the rise of the Bloc Quebecois and just allowed it without things ever having to get ugly, and transitioned into an era when violence over the matter is quite inconceivable and foreign to both sides. That, honestly, is a really special achievement in a world that was ripe with ethnic violence. We've had sometimes bitter ethnic conflict since, but never violence ever again. Pretty amazing.

Old 07-03-2013, 06:44 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,500,362 times
Quote:
Why is the NSA spying on you? are you plotting a terrorist attack?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada