Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2013, 03:08 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,043,276 times

Advertisements

On Thursday there was a spectacular lightning and monsoon rain storm over the lower mainland. It lasted a couple of hours with 1,159 lightning strikes recorded and caused a fair bit of damage, including 3 horses being struck and killed by lightning. The thunder was so close overhead and so loud it was knocking pictures off my walls.

Anyway, several people submitted photos and videos of the lightning, rainbows and orange sky and I wanted to share them here. Some of the photos are stunningly beautiful.

Another Vancouver thunderstorm brings lightning, rainbows and orange sunset (PHOTOS) | Vancity Buzz | Vancouver Events, News, Food, Lifestyle and More

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2013, 03:41 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,430,926 times
Great shots!

Z, I heard that thrunderstorms in Vancouver are pretty rare. Is this true?

I'd get bored with just rain. I love a good thrunderstorm, and we get LOTS here in Windsor.

Old 09-07-2013, 04:28 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,043,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
Great shots!

Z, I heard that thrunderstorms in Vancouver are pretty rare. Is this true?

I'd get bored with just rain. I love a good thrunderstorm, and we get LOTS here in Windsor.
I guess by central and eastern Canada's standards thunder & lightning storms are probably a lot less common in Vancouver, but we do get lots of heat lightning storms throughout the province for about 5 months of the year. Heat lightning storms are what cause 99% of the forest wildfires and the province gets hundreds of spot wildfires every year from lightning strikes. As to Vancouver and the lower mainland, I think it's safe to say that annually we get between 5 - 10 really good, full blown thunder and lightning storms with heavy rain that truly rattle people's cages but they generally never last longer than an hour, maybe a couple of hours at the most. They blow through pretty quickly.

In November is typically when we get really big typhoon class tropical wind and rain storms coming in off the Pacific ocean. We call them the Pineapple Express storms because of their tropical Pacific point of origin and the deluge of monsoon-like rain and hurricane force winds can sometimes last up to 3 or 4 hours before it tapers off to steady heavy rain. It's actually not common for the heavy rain to last more than a day or two and then that turns into boring drizzle. They really are like an express train going through and cause quite a bit of sudden wind and water damage but they're not often accompanied by thunder and lightning.

I love a good thunder and lightning storm but I'm not keen on the wind and heavy rain storms since they bring down too many trees and cause some major mud slides.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada