Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2013, 11:16 PM

3,632 posts, read 3,432,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
How would you get from Panama to Columbia though?
You don't. At least not on a road. Cahill and his co-driver loaded their car on a ship for the trip around the Darien Gap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2013, 09:19 AM

2,869 posts, read 5,146,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yofie View Post
So you're saying perhaps that there are fewer ways to link the west-coast South American countries (Chile to Colombia) together, or the east-coast South American countries (Argentina to Brazil/Bolivia to Venezuela or whatever) together, than to link Canada, the US, and Mexico together?
Theoretically no, but in practice, definitely. I'm not an expert on the origins of the Pan-Am Highway but I always thought the main point was to actually have a paved road that reaches most countries in Central and South America (it's still not even the case between Panama and Colombia). There are already hundreds of ways to go from (say) Montreal or Edmonton to Veracruz or Mexico City, the official designation of one of those routes would achieve an entirely different objective.

Old 09-25-2013, 09:54 AM

837 posts, read 1,261,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barneyg View Post
Theoretically no, but in practice, definitely. I'm not an expert on the origins of the Pan-Am Highway but I always thought the main point was to actually have a paved road that reaches most countries in Central and South America (it's still not even the case between Panama and Colombia). There are already hundreds of ways to go from (say) Montreal or Edmonton to Veracruz or Mexico City, the official designation of one of those routes would achieve an entirely different objective.
So at least in practice there are fewer ways to go from (say) Buenos Aires to Rio de Janeiro or La Paz (Bolivia), or from (say) Santiago de Chile to Bogota, than from Montreal to Mexico City?

Old 09-25-2013, 10:04 AM

2,869 posts, read 5,146,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yofie View Post
So at least in practice there are fewer ways to go from (say) Buenos Aires to Rio de Janeiro or La Paz (Bolivia), or from (say) Santiago de Chile to Bogota, than from Montreal to Mexico City?
There are plenty of ways from BA to Rio, but for your other examples, yes. A quick look at Google Maps should convince yourself of that.

Old 09-25-2013, 02:28 PM

6,560 posts, read 14,485,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
See Tim Cahill's Road Fever, about a trip where he and a co-driver drove the length of the Pan-American Highway. I've read it; it's quite good.
It's a good book, as is anything by Cahill. I suspect it had high Canadian interest (in spite of the glossing over of much of the Canadian part of the trip), given that there can't be many professional endurance drivers in the world and Garry Sowerby (a Canadian) is one of them.

As for me, I have lived fifty years in the US West without seeing a single sign about or mention of a Pan-American Highway until I read the book you mentioned. Since then, I still haven't seen any. I drove down the Alcan without remembering any such signs, either. Sounds like a great idea, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada