Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2019, 07:28 PM

156 posts, read 304,791 times

Advertisements

My daughter is dating someone in the military. They are seriously considering marriage. Aside from the obvious issues of her being a US citizen, I'm concerned about the finances. She will graduate next spring with a degree in Graphic Design. Not a high paying field. Her boyfriend is in the military--works north of Edmonton and lives with his family. He's being really frugal--trying to pay off his truck and saving money for the immigration process which she says is very expensive. I'm walking the fine line of not pushing her away by prying TOO much, but trying to get a feel for if this is doable--supporting themselves on his income if she can't find a job right away.

Also, what IS the job market like in Edmonton?

TIA

ETA I've tried to do some searching online, but the only info on wages/job market in Edmonton I'm finding is a couple of years old. It was somewhat reassuring though. The stats on military wages was not reassuring.

Last edited by autiger92; 10-01-2019 at 07:53 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2019, 09:51 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,066,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by autiger92 View Post

The stats on military wages was not reassuring.

What stats were you looking at? Were you looking at government websites?
https://www.canada.ca/en/department-...efits/pay.html

Old 10-01-2019, 10:26 PM

156 posts, read 304,791 times
The pay rate i was looking at was apparently for reservists. I have to edit this because my dd just clarified He makes over $50K CAD.

Your link is more in line with what my daughter said.

So the new question is...Is $50K a livable wage for a couple? In US dollars that is around $40K a year. That's definitely not below poverty level, but I can see them living paycheck to paycheck. I guess I need to post in the Edmonton forum for find out more specifics on the cost of living there.

Last edited by autiger92; 10-01-2019 at 11:00 PM..

Old 10-04-2019, 09:10 AM

36 posts, read 25,094 times
It is probably possible to live with 50K for a couple for a while, but that is definitely on the low end.

As for pay rates in the Canadian army, everything is available online. What trade is he in? The pay rate for some trades progress fast, some others at a slower pace. It depends if he is in a spec trade or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada