Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2013, 08:43 PM

21 posts, read 33,148 times

Advertisements

After reading how some person was saying that Canada and the USA should form one country because they have so much in common, for example the USA being a republic and Canada a Monarchy.

So when one gets down to it which country does Canada have more in common with, Australia with it's same government type, the way our legal systems are set up,ie our Supreme/High court judges do not have to swear to be loyal to a political party.
The way both countries believe in a fair go for all, example if a person is born poor neither Canada nor Australia believes in kicking that person into the gutter.

So which country does Canada have more in common with ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2013, 09:39 PM

1,395 posts, read 2,527,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by temata66 View Post
After reading how some person was saying that Canada and the USA should form one country because they have so much in common, for example the USA being a republic and Canada a Monarchy.

So when one gets down to it which country does Canada have more in common with, Australia with it's same government type, the way our legal systems are set up,ie our Supreme/High court judges do not have to swear to be loyal to a political party.
The way both countries believe in a fair go for all, example if a person is born poor neither Canada nor Australia believes in kicking that person into the gutter.

So which country does Canada have more in common with ?
Given their shared parliamentary heritage, it's Australia when it comes to governance. Culturally, it's the United States whatever people on here would have you believe. Save for God, guns, and the deep racial issues in the States, Canadians are significantly more like their American neighbours than they are their far away Australian cousins.

Old 10-30-2013, 09:43 PM
pdw

2,682 posts, read 3,102,254 times
I strongly disagree with the above post. The shared British heritage in Canada and Australia makes our countries far more similar culturally than we are to the United States.

Old 10-30-2013, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdw View Post
I strongly disagree with the above post. The shared British heritage in Canada and Australia makes our countries far more similar culturally than we are to the United States.
Well, you're wrong about that, but then you have that horrible reflexive anti-American tendency of an older generation of Central and Eastern Canadians so you can't help but feel that way. Culturally, Canada has much more in common with the United States than it does Australia. Canada and Australia are miles apart when it comes to matters cultural.

Old 10-30-2013, 10:05 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,444,154 times
^^ Of course you would say that, pdw. The United States is infested with koodies.

Listen, I know you live in some butt ****ed nowhere town in southern Ontario, and have very little, to no real interaction with our American cousins, but they are very much the same as us. Certainly there are many differences, but they are much less then what makes us the same. I think it is high time you come to grips with this.

As far as the subject? I honestly feel Austraila is just Canada-South. We're Austraila-North.

Last edited by Magnatomicflux; 10-30-2013 at 10:36 PM..

Old 10-30-2013, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
^^ Of course you would say that, pdw. The United States is infested with koodies.

Listen, I know you live in some butt ****ed nowhere town in southern Ontario, and have very little, to no real interaction with our American cousins, but they are very much the same as us. Certainly there are many differences, but they are much less then what makes us the same. I think it is high time you come to grips with this.
Hear, hear!

Old 10-30-2013, 10:12 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,444,154 times
I think he feels like if he belives this, he is throwing Canada's sovereignty out the window.

He should come live where I live. I can't look north with out seeing America, with 40 foot tall flags flying off sky scrapers in Detroit. I bet you I feel more comfortable in my Canadian skin than he does.

Old 10-30-2013, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
I bet you I feel more comfortable in my Canadian skin than he does.
It rubs the lotion on its skin or else it gets the hose again.

Old 10-30-2013, 10:19 PM

77 posts, read 103,608 times
USA by far.... Canada feels and looks like America even culturally besides the government, measurement system and currency.

Australia is totally different from Canada, including their culture, accent, lifestyle, stores, cities, suburbs, the left drive, road signs, etc.

Old 10-30-2013, 10:20 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,521,390 times
I hear alot that Australia is very much alike America so i guess there is no right or wrong answer here....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada