Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2016, 04:03 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,351,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM10 View Post
The thing is I listed so many reasons why they are different yet nobody is telling me how they are very similar. What makes the the two most similar countries in the world? I mentioned the different culture; Canadians are more polite and reserved. We have our own movies, TV shows and music in Canada. We also have American entertainment but so does Australia. The politics are so different I don't even need to explain it. The attitudes are different, Canada is less religious than the US and more open to other religions. Canada is also less capitalist and we are more left leaning than the States. The food: we have Tim Hortons which has a huge cultural importance in Canada. We also have poutine which is becoming popular in all parts of Canada. We have some other unique Canadian dishes like Beaver Tails. We also have McDonalds and KFC but again, so does Australia. The population of Canada is a lot more similar to Australia than the U.S. The U.S. has a giant population not even comparable to Canada. Gun violence is an issue in the U.S., in Canada it is not. We use the metric system, they use imperial. I can list many other differences but hopefully you get the idea. Now tell me the things that make the two countries the "most similar countries in the world"?
Geography and being countries cobbled together out of many ethnicities. We are most like the US. That doesn't mean we are the same as the U.S. I think at our core we are quite different but we are still more like each other than we are to any other country in the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2016, 04:11 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,597,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Geography and being countries cobbled together out of many ethnicities. We are most like the US. That doesn't mean we are the same as the U.S. I think at our core we are quite different but we are still more like each other than we are to any other country in the world.
I'm making a huge generalization here, but in general I think the differences an American feels in Canada is equal to the difference a Canadian feels in the US.

The first things people notice are the superficial things, like money, certain stores etc.

It's only when one spends time in either country that the real differences show.

Some of those things have been mentioned here.

General attitude of the country as a whole. Politics. Institutions and how they operate and are set up. Education, gun laws, social programs, holidays, and important things to Canadian such as OAS, Maternity/Paternity leave, severance pay laws, vacation laws all at the federal level, with add ons provincially.

Yes and accents and words as well. Tell most Americans that your garburator won't work because you have no hydro, is just ONE example of many.

I agree, our core is different.

Old 03-14-2016, 05:26 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,916,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
No offence, but Ontario isn't all of Canada
And no offence but Silverstarr doesn't speak for all Ontarians. He can't even spell it right lol.. Hey I like my Tim's but at the end of the day its a coffee chain to me, nothing more.

Quote:
I know little about the U.S. because I'm not interested in it. All I'm saying is that Canada and the U.S. are very different countries., which is a good thing.
I think everyone is saying that they are two different countries. You've maintained a pretty strong line about how different they are though, without being open enough to actually experiencing the U.S or the American people in the flesh because you aren't interested in it/them. So you may not be interested in something more similar to you than you know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverstarrr View Post
Most Canadians don't live in the prairies. You are more unlike the average Canadian than you know.
That's a pretty arrogant thing to say about millions of Canadians. That type of arrogance gives 'Ontarions' a bad name. You can speak for yourself on this one.

Last edited by fusion2; 03-14-2016 at 05:46 PM..

Old 03-14-2016, 05:50 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,428,983 times
Mod cut: Quoted post deleted.

Quote:
The food: we have Tim Hortons which has a huge cultural importance in Canada. We also have poutine which is becoming popular in all parts of Canada. We have some other unique Canadian dishes like Beaver Tails. We also have McDonalds and KFC but again, so does Australia.
Wow........ I don't even know how to reply to this. Pretty pathetic when a doughnut and coffee chain is considered culturally important. Sad thing is, I have read this on here before and have heard similar things in person, so they are far from alone in that way of thinking.

And how exactly does Tim Hortons make us less like Americans? There are plenty of cheap coffee and doughnut shops in the US.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 03-15-2016 at 07:36 AM..

Old 03-14-2016, 06:06 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,168,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Viewing things from a Canadian only vantage point it's easy to pinpoint the little things that are different between Canada and the U.S. and blow them out of proportion. Not that the two countries aren't different - they are. To a point.

But when you travel abroad and visit other foreign countries it becomes very obvious how Canada and the U.S. are similar and how Canada piggy-backs very heavily on the U.S. for so much stuff, that in other countries would be specific to the country (as opposed to imported or "shared").

There are parts of Canada where society, culture, etc. seem to have more of a home-grown flavour, like Quebec and Newfoundland.

Ironically, that unique flavour is not always seen as Canadian but rather "Québécois" and "Newfoundland".
Maybe in Quebec and Newfoundland they see it more like how states see certain things as a local flavour than a national one. I've never been to Newfoundland but it looks like it would be a very cool place to see one day.

Old 03-14-2016, 06:10 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,168,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
And how exactly does Tim Hortons make us less like Americans? There are plenty of cheap coffee and doughnut shops in the US.
Tim Horton's included in that in the northern states.

Old 03-14-2016, 06:18 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,110,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
I agree with this but how does our superiority complex tie in with the inferiority complex we're accused of having?
I didn't mention a superiority complex in my post. It was about being calculatingly selective in whom Canadians think they are similar to.

Old 03-14-2016, 06:20 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,916,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I didn't mention a superiority complex in my post. It was about being calculatingly selective in whom Canadians think they are similar to.
If I may, a smarter way of putting it would be in whom some Canadians think they are similar to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Not playing anymore. Your MO is showing...again.
Newbies should be given the benefit of the doubt but on a short leash. I think the leash has run out on this one.

Old 03-14-2016, 06:22 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,597,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
If I may, a smarter way of putting it would be in whom some Canadians think they are similar to.

Newbies should be given the benefit of the doubt but on a short leash. I think the leash has run out on this one.
Ya, they had their chance, but we all know who this is...and if I'm wrong about the actual person, I'm not wrong on their intent.

Old 03-14-2016, 06:26 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,110,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post

Agreed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada