Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2014, 12:42 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,864,231 times

Advertisements

The title of the thread may sound awkward, but I am looking for sources in which French Canadians are expressing their opinions about Quebec politics and society in English. It seems that the overwhelming majority of people who post comments about Quebec on the Canadian newspapers' websites are Anglophones. For example, I would like to read an English-language article by a French Canadian who supports the goals of the PQ.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2014, 01:13 PM

35,308 posts, read 52,484,248 times
Thats a tough one as most people who support the separatist party are separatists and therefore air their opinions in French in French media outlets, Maybe AJ can help us on this one as i havent a clue other than finding a francophone opinion publication and having Google Translate the page.

Old 01-15-2014, 01:28 PM

3,070 posts, read 5,247,171 times
Hmm... I admit, I don't know a lot of places. A lot of francophone women use Doctissimo and it comes up off-topic quite frequently (it's a huge forum but for francophones - not necessarily Quebec but we have our own sections). Very few of these comments would be posted in English though, sorry, I just realized you were looking for it in English.

Old 01-15-2014, 01:40 PM

26,923 posts, read 38,223,160 times
The Montreal Gazette used to have a separatist columnist on staff - Ed Bantey (an anglo separatist in fact) and Josée Legault served this purpose but it's been a while. The Gazette though has taken a harder stance on the issue and the past few years and doesn't really pretend to tell both sides anymore. It sees its role as a pillar in the anglo fortress these days, and so having a pro-independence columnist does not fit well with that image.

So it's hard to find a regular commentator. There are one-offs, for example Jean-François Lisée wrote an op-ed for the New York Times recently on the Charter, etc.

Old 01-16-2014, 07:29 AM

This seems to be an example of how Anglophones and Francophones talk past one another.
I sometimes wonder if some bilingual people say one thing to an Anglophone audience and the opposite to the other.

Old 01-16-2014, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
I sometimes wonder if some bilingual people say one thing to an Anglophone audience and the opposite to the other.
Brian Mulroney was sometimes accused of doing this when he was PM.

Old 01-16-2014, 07:52 AM

Quote:
This seems to be an example of how Anglophones and Francophones talk past one another.
Giving the Quebec independence movement a fair hearing with a true airing of the cons and even hypothetical pros has never been a consideration for the English-language media in Canada. The Quebec independence movement is always portrayed as something like the Flat Earth Society - or much worse.

In spite of perceptions, the French-language media in Canada is much more balanced in its coverage of the issue.

Old 01-16-2014, 10:41 AM

2,869 posts, read 5,154,403 times
Quote:
The title of the thread may sound awkward, but I am looking for sources in which French Canadians are expressing their opinions about Quebec politics and society in English. It seems that the overwhelming majority of people who post comments about Quebec on the Canadian newspapers' websites are Anglophones. For example, I would like to read an English-language article by a French Canadian who supports the goals of the PQ.
My first reaction when I saw your thread title was "isn't this why you've created all those threads about Quebec?"

Let us know if you find something -- I doubt there is a consistent source for such documentation, other than perhaps a stray English-language forum here and there, that would also have French Canadians posting there. I have one in mind but posting the link would violate TOS.

Old 01-16-2014, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Brian Mulroney was sometimes accused of doing this when he was PM.
Do you have an example of his bilingual doubletalk?

Old 01-16-2014, 01:47 PM

4,867 posts, read 10,560,427 times
Here's one:

AngryFrenchGuy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada