Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2014, 11:49 AM

10,060 posts, read 12,876,055 times

Advertisements

I wonder if a Canadian version of Big Brother would be successful. Say you put an equal number of Anglophones and Francophones in the same house for an extended period of time and demanded the Anglophones speak French and the Francophones speak English. How long would that last?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2014, 11:58 AM

26,935 posts, read 38,264,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
I wonder if a Canadian version of Big Brother would be successful. Say you put an equal number of Anglophones and Francophones in the same house for an extended period of time and demanded the Anglophones speak French and the Francophones speak English. How long would that last?
It's already been done I think. (But not with the language thingy.)

Old 01-24-2014, 06:01 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,680,125 times
Quote:
if both groups already speak each others language then I don't understand the premise. Are you suggesting that Anglophones and Francophones in Canada would not get along living under the same roof and the resulting conflict would be show worthy?

Old 01-24-2014, 06:09 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,578,716 times
Quote:
Big Brother cast members don't even acknowledge where the other house guest are from, they are all focused on getting that HOH.

Old 01-24-2014, 07:15 PM

14,733 posts, read 15,213,979 times
I think it would make more sense if the Francophones and Anglophones in that house were all required to only speak Inuktitut which is the traditional oral language spoken by the Inuit people in the Arctic in Canada, Greenland and Alaska and some parts of Siberia.

Old 01-24-2014, 07:23 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,680,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
I think it would make more sense if the Francophones and Anglophones in that house were all required to only speak Inuktitut which is the traditional oral language spoken by the Inuit people in the Arctic in Canada, Greenland and Alaska and some parts of Siberia.

Now there's an idea worth pitching.

Old 01-24-2014, 07:33 PM

14,733 posts, read 15,213,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Now there's an idea worth pitching.
I think so too but probably not for whatever reasons MOS was thinking of. I think Inuktitut and some of the more common First Nations languages would be good as some of the other language options for Canadian kids to be learning in school. Also it would give more of a respectful nod of acknowledgement to our Inuit and First Nations people and their traditions seeing as how they were all here first anyway.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada