Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2014, 08:18 AM

10,060 posts, read 12,810,783 times

Advertisements

It is a new show on the Food Network hosted by Dean McDermott (Mr. Tori Spelling). I watched it last night. More restrained than the American version (i.e. no crazy-eyed person declaiming "I'm In It. To Win It!"). No Francophones on last night's show, though.

Chopped Canada : Food Network
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2014, 08:33 AM

26,882 posts, read 38,032,223 times
[quote=Mouldy Old Schmo;33159108]It is a new show on the Food Network hosted by Dean McDermott (Mr. Tori Spelling). I watched it last night. More restrained than the American version (i.e. no crazy-eyed person declaiming "I'm In It. To Win It!")[/quote]

Big surprise!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
. No Francophones on last night's show, though.

Big surprise part deux!

Old 01-24-2014, 09:42 AM

681 posts, read 1,560,724 times
I have watched it and I am impressed!

I'm a big fan of the American version and was expecting the Canadian version to be a *weak* replica, which so often the Canadian reality TV shows are. I don't find this at all - the set is almost identical, the judges are great, the baskets are equally (maybe more) strange and I actually like Dean McDermott as the host!

Surprising about the lack of Francophones though given the absolute poplulation of Quebec and the volume of high quality restaurants. Maybe not many were interested in the show or even knew about it?? Anglo's may have been more likely to be watching the American version and awaiting the introduction of the Canadian version??

Old 01-24-2014, 11:27 AM

26,882 posts, read 38,032,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiredOfyycCold View Post

Surprising about the lack of Francophones though given the absolute poplulation of Quebec and the volume of high quality restaurants. Maybe not many were interested in the show or even knew about it?? Anglo's may have been more likely to be watching the American version and awaiting the introduction of the Canadian version??
Well, I am probably a million times more in tune with Anglo North American culture than the average person in Quebec and this thread is the first I have heard of it.

Overall, people in Quebec tend to watch their own TV shows as opposed to American or English Canadian shows. And this is reflected in the lower per capita interest in taking part in stuff in English like Chopped Canada.

Although Montreal chef Chuck Hughes (basically a francophone in spite of his name) has made a good name for himself in the anglo media across North America.

Old 01-24-2014, 12:33 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
The show is ok,i like cooking shows, problem with this show is every one being under a strict time factor, so what if a contestant needs an extra minute or two to complete the dish.
The show isnt on my preferences of shows to watch, however the individual judges shows are high on my tv viewing agenda.

Old 01-24-2014, 01:51 PM

230 posts, read 535,952 times
Well I used to watch this and other cooking shows at night until I gained 10 lbs. and realized the show was making me eat.

Old 01-24-2014, 05:50 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,555,283 times
I'm more of a Nigella or Delia Smith kind of food program watcher. I also LOVE Ina Garten, the Barefoot Contessa. She's my favourite US cooking show.

Old 01-24-2014, 05:58 PM

3,070 posts, read 5,232,614 times
In Quebec we generally watch Zeste, not Food Network. Zeste is much better anyways - it has some of the good quality American FN programs, without most of the staged garbage like Mystery Diners, plus plenty of good quality francophone cooking shows. I'm anglophone and I still prefer Zeste.

Old 01-24-2014, 11:40 PM

984 posts, read 1,314,827 times
I usually don't watch shows like that but I actually happened to the other day and I really enjoyed it. I also found it refreshing from the American/British ones which tend to be loud, obnoxious, and more to do with the announcer than the cooks.

I find the same with American/Britsh documentaries...........they put more focus on themselves than they do the documentary.

Old 02-07-2014, 01:01 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,810,783 times
The third episode was on last night. Still no Francophones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada