Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2014, 03:27 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,635,939 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Well yeah, English or no English, I have to admit migration might be making Australia less friendly. It may just be technological change in general though. While of Asian ancestry I don't know if I feel comfortable surrounded by Mandarin speakers (I only speak English), and feeling like I'm in a foreign country, though I do enjoy the different cuisines.
Cantonese is more common in Vancouver than Mandarin. I grew up in Vancouver, I'm non - Asian, but feel a sort of kinship with Chinese people and people of Chinese ancestry. So much so, that when I travel and there is not a significant Chinese population, that I feel something is missing.

We do have an area, Richmond, a city suburb south of Vancouver, that is the new Chinatown. I love going there because you do feel like you are in a foreign country! A little get away just a metro ride away.

As for integration, it's like any other group of immigrants. The parents don't integrate as well as their kids, but some do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2014, 07:47 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,860,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Cantonese is more common in Vancouver than Mandarin. I grew up in Vancouver, I'm non - Asian, but feel a sort of kinship with Chinese people and people of Chinese ancestry. So much so, that when I travel and there is not a significant Chinese population, that I feel something is missing.

We do have an area, Richmond, a city suburb south of Vancouver, that is the new Chinatown. I love going there because you do feel like you are in a foreign country! A little get away just a metro ride away.

As for integration, it's like any other group of immigrants. The parents don't integrate as well as their kids, but some do.
Mandarin has far outstripped Cantonese here...I think Melbourne's Chinatown was traditionally mostly Cantonese (dating from the Gold Rush) but now you here a lot more Mandarin there and in the Chinese enclaves like Box Hill. Springvale has a lot of Vietnamese, Chinese, Cambodians.etc so there's a sort of fusion, same with Cabramatta in Sydney.

Yes, I guess I'm used to be around a lot of Asians and that's not my issue, but it's things like at restaurants being spoken to in Mandarin, because since I look Chinese they expect me to know it. I've encountered this issue in Singapore as well. I also dont like being lumped into the 'FOBs' (not out of any superiority complex) but because I'm Australian and don't have much in common with them.

Old 01-27-2014, 05:23 AM

3,452 posts, read 4,944,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
I also dont like being lumped into the 'FOBs' (not out of any superiority complex) but because I'm Australian and don't have much in common with them.
Yeah I know the feeling. It's like when FOB Indians start up a conversation with me in Hindi. I know just enough to understand what they're saying (most of the time) and I respond in English. Puzzled, they speak even louder in Hindi, hoping that will spur me into responding likewise, and I continue responding in English. It's quite comical for any third party who's watching.

Old 01-27-2014, 06:11 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,860,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_gardener View Post
Yeah I know the feeling. It's like when FOB Indians start up a conversation with me in Hindi. I know just enough to understand what they're saying (most of the time) and I respond in English. Puzzled, they speak even louder in Hindi, hoping that will spur me into responding likewise, and I continue responding in English. It's quite comical for any third party who's watching.
Haha, I guess they know you understand, haha...whereas for me they soon get the message when they see the blank look on my face lol.

Old 01-31-2014, 01:21 PM

2,096 posts, read 4,790,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_gardener View Post
That's hilarious.

Old 01-31-2014, 09:18 PM

33,596 posts, read 37,237,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
The city of Vancouver's population is over 604 thousand, Victoria's population is just over 80 thousand. Victoria has a lot of seniors and retired people living there because of the milder, warmer climate. To some people that less congested, small city atmosphere with more older people might make Victoria seem more laid back than Vancouver.

I've lived in and out of Vancouver back and forth for over 30 years and I think the city of Vancouver is a little bit insular compared to the suburbs that surround it. It's been my experience that the further out you get from the city into the suburbs and other smaller towns in the rest of the lower mainland then the more open and friendlier and more communal oriented the people are. I do agree with Mooguy that Vancouverites are friendly but take a long time to get to know. I don't think Vancouver is sterile or the people self-absorbed though. They're just more private than small town people, minding their own business living tightly together with a big population jammed into a small area and expect other people to do likewise and all respect each other's space and privacy. I think Vancouver is a good city for people who are highly independent, confident and self-possessed, not for people who are socially needy and demanding of a lot of emotional support from other people.

That population figure is misleading, as Greater Victoria is made up of several adjoining communities and has a population of about 345,000. I do find the people here quite open and friendly, but then I'm the type of person that will start a conversation with almost anyone... Greater Victoria - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by sanspeur; 01-31-2014 at 09:44 PM..

Old 02-01-2014, 12:07 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,152,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
That population figure is misleading, as Greater Victoria is made up of several adjoining communities and has a population of about 345,000. I do find the people here quite open and friendly, but then I'm the type of person that will start a conversation with almost anyone... Greater Victoria - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I was trying to keep it simple and talking about just the cities of Victoria and Vancouver only, not the Greater Victoria region or Greater Vancouver region. The population numbers I gave were correct for the cities.

Victoria the city's is 80,000

Vancouver the city's is 604,000

Greater Victoria's is 345,000

Greater Vancouver's is 2,476,145

See map: Greater Vancouver - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada