Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2014, 10:11 AM

12,535 posts, read 15,204,354 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NilaJones View Post
Your kids don't stop being your kids when they turn 18. Parents helping with college tuition is pretty normal.
I wonder if it's in the guy's settlement. My friend's fiance thought he was done when his eldest turned 18 and couldn't understand why the ex-wife was pitching a fit and threatening to haul him into court. I told my friend, "He needs to check his agreement." Sure enough...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2014, 10:12 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,785,719 times
I know the guy. There could have been some more research into the article. Not sure if he stands a snowball's chance in hell.

Old 04-06-2014, 10:13 AM

11,222 posts, read 16,430,926 times
You can't just up and decide to quit paying child support, just because a kid is 18. Only a judge can do that.

The story says his son is attending graduate school for a masters in math and computer science. <-------That's probably why.
This can happen when the parent has a lot of education, as well. So, say a doctor might have to pay for a kid attending medical school.

It's all up tp the judge, but it isn't going to go on forever. Just till he's done school.

Old 04-06-2014, 10:19 AM

1,340 posts, read 1,628,464 times
Paying/supporting a child in need is indeed indefinite if it is necessary, however it stops being "child support" in itself and it gets into jurisdiction of courts to order support for "adult disabled child/parent". This is where "parental support" in most countries fits for the most cases, because it's much more likely to have older but disabled parents than young disabled children in need of indefinite care. It's NOT child support per se and it gets regulated in a different manner. Child support is regulated by laws to end once you reach 18 y/o OR after you graduate high school (somewhere 18-19 y/o, during summer).
When it comes to care for disbled adults, adult children are obliged to provide for their parents in the same manner, just in case some people weren't aware of it.

In case you didn't know, child support is actually paid to a MINOR but on the account of another person (generally other parent). This kind of formulation is very shaky in its own ground and it is a source of major abuses because some folks do eschew from paying child support once the child is over 18 y/o. It happens because many states will make it legally impossible for the recipient parent to sue for support at that point - only a child can sue for support and only a child may get the money. This means that a liable parent can legally eschew paying child support in a number of states where legislation doesn't regulate payments for physically and mentally able adult child over the age of 18 in a proper way. Even though the payments are legally required until the end of secondary education (high school graduation), the other parent cannot sue for support and the child will generally never sue for support within the legally required period.

However, in a serious twist of events, child support got extended in 19 U.S. states and a number of countries worldwide where this regulation is rewritten in different ways. Unfortunately, the law is once again made in a very flawed manner, it has a number of serious flaws.
Some states will issue obligatory child support payments until 21 y/o, while some will order payments as long as the child attends the university and doesn't have a full-time job, others will require such payments as long as the child lives with the other parent until maximum of 26 years of age and regardless of employment, it really depends on a specific state legislation.
Such laws only contributed to future issues because i.e. a child may NOT be dependent anymore even if the child lives with the "supporting" parent (the child may be working and monetarily contributing while still living with that parent), but the court will order child support payments to the other parent who may even depend on that child's income contributions to his/her household at that point.
Another serious issue with the new regulations is that it generally obliges only one parent (the one who was already paying for child support) to continue with "child support payments" for a child who attends university - even if the child doesn't live with the other parent anymore because the of moving to another town/changing residency to attend university. To make it even worse, most legislations kept the payments in a manner where the recipient is the other parent and they only removed the "age cap" to sue for child support payments.

List of these abuses is really long and it has been discussed in previous topics already, with links on idiotic laws. Anyways - paying for a disabled child is a completely different issue and it is rather covered in the same manner as the obligation for a child to support the parent and it's "classified"/"seen" in a different manner. You are paying a certain amount of money to the caretaker, be it some institution or a certain person, it doesn't matter.

Old 04-06-2014, 10:50 AM

678 posts, read 1,065,269 times
Quote:
Your kids don't stop being your kids when they turn 18. Parents helping with college tuition is pretty normal.
Agreed, my parents helped me out and my mom still does from time to time. This guy's situation is court mandated support which seems a bit odd.

Old 04-06-2014, 10:54 AM

12,535 posts, read 15,204,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omaraz View Post
Agreed, my parents helped me out and my mom still does from time to time. This guy's situation is court mandated support which seems a bit odd.

Well, if SD knows the guy and says that there could have been more research for the article, it's a pretty good bet that we don't know the whole story.

Old 04-06-2014, 11:18 AM

4,463 posts, read 6,229,875 times
Quote:
Pretty normal for a fully intact family where each parent is not trying to start new lives.

Old 04-06-2014, 11:19 AM

So what happens when the parent is too old to work, they just take their SS and throw them in jail. I need to get out of the USA/Canada.

Old 04-06-2014, 11:28 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,171,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highlife2 View Post
So what happens when the parent is too old to work, they just take their SS and throw them in jail. I need to get out of the USA/Canada.
You don't even have children. Are you this afraid of lots of other things that have absolutely nothing to do with you?

Old 04-06-2014, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
You don't even have children. Are you this afraid of lots of other things that have absolutely nothing to do with you?
I don't have kids now, an ops baby can happen to anyone but a priest. Its kinda scary to consider what is happening more and more these days. I have a hard enough time dating I don't need a quarter of my income taken for the rest of my life. But perhaps that is the real reason I need to leave is not the fear of child support but because I don't have women lined up when I am single.

That shows that I am an outcast in US society and perhaps that in and of itself is enough reason to leave, its just hard when you have family here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada