Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2014, 06:59 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,043,276 times

Advertisements

Quote:

Originally Posted by drro
That even people who can't afford vehicular or public transportation anymore could walk into Canada and benefit from its social welfare if they were freely allowed to just move to Canada.
It wouldn't work that way. A person has to be a proven citizen of Canada to get social welfare benefits of any kind and the benefits are time limited and highly restrictive even for those Canadian citizens who do qualify. Also - USA already provides its people with way more social welfare benefits than Canada does.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2014, 09:37 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,328,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drro View Post
That even people who can't afford vehicular or public transportation anymore could walk into Canada and benefit from its social welfare if they were freely allowed to just move to Canada.

Obviously, my arguments are somewhat flawed. Most Americans would never move abroad even if they were allowed to by other countries because they are simply too ignorant to understand there are far better countries out there than the US. Just like an American I met in Texas. He kept on talking about how the US is the best in everything, yet he had to drive to Mexico every month to buy his medication because he could not afford to buy them in the US. Really, how can a country where you can't afford medication to keep you healthy be the best country to live in? So, Canada should be safe(for now).
We had chartered busloads of senior Americans coming here (Manitoba) a few years ago for their medications to the point where the province wondered if it was placing a strain on medication for Canadians. I don't know if it is still happening as I haven't heard about it on the news for some time, so I partly agree with you. The thing is that prescriptions are subsidised as well by our taxes, not by Americans and our government negotiates with drug companies for lower prices for Canadians, so there's an irony again in Americans benefiting.

But with an open border I do not believe that Canada would be flooded with Americans looking for jobs for the same reason they would never move abroad as you've stated above. But neither do I believe that Canadians would flood the US. What I believe we would be flooded by are guns and that the conditions the Americans would demand for an open border would amount to Canada giving up its sovereignty. It just doesn't happen otherwise when you are next to a world power, and an especially paranoid one at that.

I don't think any advantage gained with an open border would negate the negative side of that.

Old 04-27-2014, 02:23 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,932,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookyhere View Post
Oh, and I really like that americans have choices as to what kind of weather they want to live with. I think it would be so amazing if I could choose between the warm sweltering bayou of Louisiana, the dry and hot southwest, or even the freezing cold of Alaska. At least, in the USA, one is presented with some real options weatherwise.

You got that right! I just returned to Philly from a work excursion to New Orleans and Mobile, AL. Had a great time despite being there for work. Despite all the crap I'm sure you hear in Canada about how we all hate each other, I had a great time. In fact, we Americans from North and South talked about how all you Canadians flood the US South in winter looking to escape the cold.

And this was Gulf Shores, AL last week. A place where I saw loads of Alberta license plates:

The US has a such a vast array of climates that Canada can not come close to matching, and this is just scratching the surface:

https://www.google.com/search?q=new+...w=1657&bih=954

https://www.google.com/search?q=sier...rker+&tbm=isch

https://www.google.com/search?q=napl...w=1657&bih=954

https://www.google.com/search?q=nava...w=1657&bih=954

https://www.facebook.com/MiddletonPlaceFndtn

Panhandle of FL

White Sands NM

South Carolina

Sierra Nevada Mountains

Naples Beach, FL, lol remind me again where coconut palms grow in Canada.

http://i1186.photobucket.com/albums/...tPalmTrees.jpg

Last edited by Rozenn; 04-28-2014 at 08:29 AM.. Reason: Copyright

Old 04-27-2014, 03:26 AM

2,982 posts, read 4,101,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
Most Canadians have never been interested in becoming Americans. They had chances in both the Revolution and in the War of 1812. They knew what they had with the British, and a pretty good idea of what they'd lose if they became part of the US. They chose the Brits, and most probably aren't sorry.
Interesting viewpoint. May I as how many of Canada's now 33 million citizens you believe were around during the American Revolution and War of 1812 to develop such a conviction?

By your logic, most people living south of the Mason/Dixon line must long for the good ol' days of slavery and can't wait until they are able to challenge those damned Yankees on the battlefield once again.

Old 04-27-2014, 06:49 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,493,436 times
[quote=tom77falcons;34545377]You got that right! I just returned to Philly from a work excursion to New Orleans and Mobile, AL. Had a great time despite being there for work. Despite all the crap I'm sure you hear in Canada about how we all hate each other, I had a great time. In fact, we Americans from North and South talked about how all you Canadians flood the US South in winter looking to escape the cold.

And this was Gulf Shores, AL last week. A place where I saw loads of Alberta license plates:

The US has a such a vast array of climates that Canada can not come close to matching, and this is just scratching the surface

I believe the word you are looking for there, is "vacation" Tom. They return home after it's done.

And, although I wouldn't think you'd enjoy them in the wintertime, Canada has no shortage of beaches.

Beaches in Canada - The Best Beaches in Canada

Old 04-27-2014, 08:28 AM

15,102 posts, read 15,883,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post

I believe the word you are looking for there, is "vacation" Tom. They return home after it's done.

And, although I wouldn't think you'd enjoy them in the wintertime, Canada has no shortage of beaches.

Beaches in Canada - The Best Beaches in Canada
I find it odd that he'd be posting pics of the Sierra Nevada Mountains or White Sands NM as if that is some sort of spectacular scenery that Canada is lacking. Heck Gros Morn and Torngat alone destroy the scenery in those places... easily.. Aside from that, Canadians are also a less insular bunch when It comes to travelling, a larger percentage of us hold passports so many countries benefit from our tourism.

Last edited by fusion2; 04-27-2014 at 08:37 AM..

Old 04-27-2014, 09:48 AM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,275,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
I find it odd that he'd be posting pics of the Sierra Nevada Mountains or White Sands NM as if that is some sort of spectacular scenery that Canada is lacking. Heck Gros Morn and Torngat alone destroy the scenery in those places... easily.. Aside from that, Canadians are also a less insular bunch when It comes to travelling, a larger percentage of us hold passports so many countries benefit from our tourism.
Canada has some spectacular mountains that blow away the Sierra Nevada, LOL.

Also as another poster pointed out, may be a bit cool in winter, but Canada has some very
nice beaches too, PEI any one

Old 04-27-2014, 10:34 AM

15,080 posts, read 14,327,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvinerenter View Post
I think both countries would be better off if its citizens could move freely from one country to another or apply for jobs in each country without worrying about getting visas. It gives each country's citizens more options. Has this ever been considered?
Not just no, but HELL, no!

Old 04-27-2014, 10:44 AM

15,102 posts, read 15,883,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post
Canada has some spectacular mountains that blow away the Sierra Nevada, LOL.

Also as another poster pointed out, may be a bit cool in winter, but Canada has some very
nice beaches too, PEI any one
He needs to watch this.. I fall in love every time lol!

Ancient Land, 2 min TV Ad, Newfoundland and Labrador Tourism - YouTube

If I wanna go to a beach i'll take a cheap flight to Cuba but if I wanna fall in love with beauty... give me Canada please!

Old 04-27-2014, 11:12 AM

15,080 posts, read 14,327,358 times
It's very nice of you to want to share your millions upon millions of illegals with us, but I'm afraid we're going to have to respectfully decline.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada