Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2014, 01:13 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,280,097 times

Advertisements

Rather unflattering to equate Canadas cuisine with Beaver Tail,a hunk of deep fried dough that is then smothered in sugar.
How about Bannock or Digby fillets,Muktuk,cod tongues,pemmican,sea pie

Last edited by jambo101; 06-21-2014 at 01:25 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2014, 03:56 AM

4,865 posts, read 10,522,039 times
Indian Candy, Butter tarts, Salmon n' Bannock burgers, and BC rolls (sushi).

Old 06-21-2014, 11:36 AM

909 posts, read 1,152,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Rather unflattering to equate Canadas cuisine with Beaver Tail,a hunk of deep fried dough that is then smothered in sugar.
How about Bannock or Digby fillets,Muktuk,cod tongues,pemmican,sea pie
I've never heard of any of those. Come to think of it, I've never even heard of Beaver Tails up until recently. Canada isn't really known for its own famous cuisine. Except for maybe one I won't mention but even that is only known around North America I believe.

Old 06-21-2014, 11:39 AM

11,222 posts, read 16,421,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GM10 View Post
I've never heard of any of those. Come to think of it I've never heard of Beaver Tails up until recently. Canada isn't known for its own famous cuisine. Except for maybe one but even that is only known around North America I believe.

Don't talk about it! Against the rules!!

Old 06-21-2014, 11:50 AM

909 posts, read 1,152,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
Don't talk about it! Against the rules!!
I know I won't mention it. XD

Old 06-21-2014, 12:22 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,319,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa2011 View Post
Some people in New Brunswick eat dulse, which is dried seaweed. You can eat it plain, or crush it and sprinkle it into fish chowder or over fish for seasoning. The exact same type of seaweed grows off the coast of Ireland and used to be harvested and eaten there in ye olden days, but I don't know if anyone does that anymore.

New Brunswickers also eat fiddleheads, the spring shoots of an edible type of wild fern. They do exist elsewhere, but aren't a common dish like they are in NB.

Acadians have some traditional recipes, like rapie pie, a poutine that is completely unlike Quebec poutine (Acadian poutine is pork wrapped in shredded potato and fried), and a vegetable & chicken soup whose name I've forgotten. Chicken fricot!

Moose meat burgers are popular in rural areas during hunting season. I've also had caribou, fried up like a beef steak. Atlantic salmon are commonly eaten in the Maritimes.

For commercial products: Habitant Pea Soup and Kraft Dinner!

Edited to add: Canadian beer and wine... Ice wine.
I love fiddleheads. They're sold in Quebec grocery stores in the spring.
Delicious!

Old 06-21-2014, 12:34 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,540,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Delicious!
Me as well, some restaurants in Vancouver have " the fiddleheads have arrived" promotions. I also think they look really cool.

Old 06-21-2014, 07:06 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,421,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Delicious!

Against the rules!

Old 06-21-2014, 08:37 PM

320 posts, read 480,444 times
I assume the OP is asking about cuisine specific to Canada. However, when I think of "Canadian food" I begin to long for all the foodstuffs I can't buy down here. A representative, but not exhaustive list, includes: Smarties, Crunchie bars, Areo bars, Caramilks, Wonderbars, Jersey milks, Sweet Maries, Hickory Stix, dill pickle flavored potato chips, Campbell's French Canadian pea soup, Dad's Cookies, and so much more.

Old 06-21-2014, 10:00 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,522,039 times
Here's someone making their living from Canada's unique cuisine! A Canadian Bakery in Washington DC:
Canadian Sweets And Treats Bakery Brings Northern Taste To Washington, D.C. (PHOTOS)

Thought of a couple more things after seeing a sign for "Maritimer Donairs" in the neighbourhood I work in today.

Halifax Donair.
Ketchup Chips.
Canadian Cheese varieties.
Gooseberries and Salmonberries.
Calgary Style Ginger Beef.
Toutons (Newfoundland Fry Bread)
Lobster Rolls, like the McLobster
Cipaille
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada