Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2014, 09:11 AM

586 posts, read 831,099 times

Advertisements

I was informed yesterday that for a few days in July i'll be in the company of some members of the Royal 22e Régiment or the "Van Doos". I'll be their guest along with several NCOs from some British regiments. In case you didn't know this is where they'll be and what they'll be doing.

Quote:
14 – 19 July ¦ Mounting of the Guard
London ¦ The Royal 22nd Regiment from the Canadian Army (fondly known as the VanDoos) are famously Canada’s first French Canadian regiment formed in 1914 at the outbreak of WWI. It has since fought side by side with the British Army in conflicts around the world. As part of a centennial celebration, they will be re-enacting a period in 1940 when they mounted the Queen’s Guard. They will once again mount the Queen’s Guard on 14, 16 and 18 July at Buckingham Palace, St James’s Palace and the Tower of London. The public is welcome to view this very special event, starting from 11:30 a.m. on Monday, July 14th at Buckingham Palace, where orders will be given in French for the first time since 1940!
[Quote from Canada Plus - The email newsletter from the High Commission of Canada in the United Kingdom.]

It should be quite interesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2014, 10:02 AM

7,309 posts, read 9,326,230 times
How interesting. Are you a member of a military, if I may ask?

Old 06-28-2014, 10:33 AM

15,080 posts, read 14,324,813 times
Cool!
I do wish they would stop using real bear skins for their hats, though.

Old 06-28-2014, 11:13 AM

586 posts, read 831,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
How interesting. Are you a member of a military, if I may ask?
I am a Defence Attaché Assistant (Army) at the French Embassy in London at the moment but my proper job is as an Adjudant (Warrant Officer) in 2e REP.

My boss is a Contre-Admiral (Rear-Admiral) so anything involving aircraft or ships he attends, however, if it could include "playing in mud or talking about things that might involve playing in mud" he sends me.

Last edited by Mr Blue Sky; 06-28-2014 at 12:38 PM.. Reason: .. consistency

Old 06-28-2014, 12:27 PM

2,869 posts, read 4,452,265 times
Black bears in Canada are not in any way endangered, as you should know. Bearskin head gear is very durable, lasting on average 15 years in use.

Here is a link to the Royal 22 Regiment of Canada, photo pages. Note their Regimental motto, in English, it is " I Remember ". In French it is ' Je Me Souviens ". Their cap badge bears a beaver, so the unofficial nick name for the Regiment is the pond builders . At least that is one that can be used in polite company.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=royal...w=1280&bih=621

In the news story , mention is made of the fact that the last time that a Canadian Army unit used French commands on parade at Buckingham Palace was in 1940. That refers, I believe, to the last time that the Van Doos mounted guard there, during WW2. In the more modern era, commands on the march are given in French, while movements while in place are given in English. This is done in all CF units, to be uniform in drill and manouvers.

My old regiment, the 48th Highlanders of Canada, when wearing full dress, have a Ostrich feather head dress that is 18 inches high, with white hackles for NCO ranks, and red hackles for Officers. When I was issued my "feather bonnet" in 1966, it was found to have been made in 1921, so at that point it was at least 45 years old. A full dress uniform, for a 48th Highlander in 2014, is worth about $2500 for a private, and about three times that for a Officer, given the silver buckles , and gold wire rank badges, and ceremonial sword ands scabbard , usually from Wilkinsons' .

The cost of Full Dress Uniforms are not provided by the Canadian Forces, but the Regimental Fund does cover all costs. The 48th's Regimental Fund is managed by a prominent Bay Street management company. At last report the RF was worth over four million dollars.

48th Highlanders Of Canada, photo webpage, and Regimental history. 123 years of continual service to Canada.

Their motto is "Forever Faithful " and they wear the Davidson tartan, in honour of the first Colonel, who was a Davidson.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=48th+...w=1280&bih=621

48th Highlanders of Canada | Reserve Unit | Canadian Army

Jim B. Toronto.

Old 06-28-2014, 12:33 PM

2,869 posts, read 4,452,265 times
Mr Blue Sky:

A Legionaire, and a jumper. My kind of soldier, for sure.

Jim B. Toronto.

Old 06-28-2014, 01:19 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,324,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post
Black bears in Canada are not in any way endangered, as you should know. Bearskin head gear is very durable, lasting on average 15 years in use.

Here is a link to the Royal 22 Regiment of Canada, photo pages. Note their Regimental motto, in English, it is " I Remember ". In French it is ' Je Me Souviens ". Their cap badge bears a beaver, so the unofficial nick name for the Regiment is the pond builders . At least that is one that can be used in polite company.

In the news story , mention is made of the fact that the last time that a Canadian Army unit used French commands on parade at Buckingham Palace was in 1940. That refers, I believe, to the last time that the Van Doos mounted guard there, during WW2. In the more modern era, commands on the march are given in French, while movements while in place are given in English. This is done in all CF units, to be uniform in drill and manouvers.

My old regiment, the 48th Highlanders of Canada, when wearing full dress, have a Ostrich feather head dress that is 18 inches high, with white hackles for NCO ranks, and red hackles for Officers. When I was issued my "feather bonnet" in 1966, it was found to have been made in 1921, so at that point it was at least 45 years old. A full dress uniform, for a 48th Highlander in 2014, is worth about $2500 for a private, and about three times that for a Officer, given the silver buckles , and gold wire rank badges, and ceremonial sword ands scabbard , usually from Wilkinsons' .

The cost of Full Dress Uniforms are not provided by the Canadian Forces, but the Regimental Fund does cover all costs. The 48th's Regimental Fund is managed by a prominent Bay Street management company. At last report the RF was worth over four million dollars.

48th Highlanders Of Canada, photo webpage, and Regimental history. 123 years of continual service to Canada.

Their motto is "Forever Faithful " and they wear the Davidson tartan, in honour of the first Colonel, who was a Davidson.

Jim B. Toronto.
That's not the point. Mink isn't endangered, either, but to slaughter them for their skins is just wrong.
Each bear that is baited, shot and skinned makes one hat. That's it.

Last edited by weltschmerz; 06-28-2014 at 02:23 PM..

Old 06-28-2014, 02:13 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,489,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post

Jim B. Toronto.
Aaaah, the 48th Highlanders. My Uncle; William Trent was a Sergeant with them through WWII. My own father was a Troop Sgt in the GGHG throughout WWII.

I attended a Tattoo of the 48th at Maple Leaf Gardens way back in the late 60's I believe. Stirring stuff.

Looking forward to seeing their band perform at Fergus this summer as usual. I attend the opening ceremonies for the massed bands and the closing for the same. Have American guests who come up to see that also. Nothing like the pipes to get your heart pounding and the eyes watering.

Old 06-28-2014, 02:24 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,326,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Blue Sky View Post
I am a Defence Attaché Assistant (Army) at the French Embassy in London at the moment but my proper job is as an Adjudant (Warrant Officer) in 2e REP.

My boss is a Contre-Admiral (Rear-Admiral) so anything involving aircraft or ships he attends, however, if it could include "playing in mud or talking about things that might involve playing in mud" he sends me.
Very interesting. I hope you'll post about how it all goes.

Old 06-28-2014, 03:26 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,038,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
That's not the point. Mink isn't endangered, either, but to slaughter them for their skins is just wrong.
Each bear that is baited, shot and skinned makes one hat. That's it.
I hate to deflect from the actual topic and while I think your concern for the bears is comendable it needs to be pointed out that in this case you're a bit misinformed about them being slaughtered for their skins. The bearskins used by regiments come from Canada, which has approximately 400,000 black bears. Because of their high numbers there is the need for an annual culling of a selected population numbering in the several hundreds of black bears culled across the nation to maintain a healthy, sustainable, vibrant population in the Northern Hemisphere. The regimental bearskins are a commissioned annual by-product of culls taken by Inuit for meat, and the bearskins are used for more than just making headwear. Canada's Inuit people are commissioned to provide around 100 bearskins per year to be used for regimental uniform purposes but they are licensed to cull many more than 100 bears per year for their sustenance.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada