Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2012, 11:49 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,647,340 times

Advertisements

Here is what teachers in Canada make, this table is for a teacher with 8 years experience, a B.A. and a 2-yr teaching degree:

Province Salary Year

British Columbia (Vancouver) $73,972 2011
Alberta (Calgary) $87,954 2011
Saskatchewan $72,435 2010
Manitoba (Winnipeg) $76,547
Ontario (Toronto) $83,865 2011
Quebec (Montreal) $52,435
New Brunswick $72,536 2011
P.E.I. $64,608 2011
Newfoundland $69,994

These salaries are a lot higher than the average $40- $42,000 salary of a teacher in the U.S., yet people in the U.S. complain about overpaid teachers.

Teacher Pay Scale Across Canada - Update for 2011 | Nucleus Learning

Teacher Salary - Average Teacher Salaries - PayScale

It seems to me Canadian teachers, especially in Ontario and Alberta are over-paid.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2012, 12:03 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,288,448 times
Just a guess but it might be compensation for the higher taxes we have to pay here in Canada, things like universal healthcare and many other social programs dont come free.

Thought i read or heard recently that American unionized teachers were making huge sums of money,close to $100K
http://www.teachersalaryinfo.com/cal...hool-district/

Old 11-01-2012, 12:10 AM

4,865 posts, read 10,523,785 times
Might also be a bit skewed because it was for cities like Vancouver, Calgary and Toronto you gave rather than the provinces as a whole. It makes sense for teachers in those cities to get paid more because the cost of living is much higher than it is in the US. Especially housing and food, so quality of life isn't that much higher. Also, in the end, you get what you pay for and I'm not sure I'd want to chintz out on the future of the country, the next generation, just to be better off today.

Old 11-01-2012, 12:18 AM

10,553 posts, read 9,647,340 times
Yeah but they only work 10 months of the year with large Christmas breaks and every holiday off. So for the Ontario teacher salary of ~ $84 K a year for 10 months, that's $8,400 a month, which if it was 12 month salary would be over $100,000.

And the numbers I listed are for 8 years experience, whereas many teachers might teach for 15 or 20 years. They must be making over $100,000.

I just think it's strange that in the U.S. the high cost of teacher salaries is always coming up --- and here in Canada, where it really IS high, no one says a word.

Canadians are just too complacent. All the public servants make huge salaries and have huge pensions, and that's part of why Canadians are taxed to death.

Old 11-01-2012, 01:37 AM

1,976 posts, read 2,352,507 times
Teachers in the US are underpaid. They are a current favourite target of right-wing radicals.

Old 11-01-2012, 02:13 AM

254 posts, read 316,216 times
They are not making too much. Teaching is very stressful and requires working both at school and at home (going over homework and hundreds of tests). Plus, you can't really get much in terms of promotions. Take out the economic incentive and all the smart people are going to look to other fields for work.

Old 11-01-2012, 06:22 AM

395 posts, read 859,309 times
I love how supposedly american teachers are over paid, yet by virtually every measure public schools in the states suck. How about citing another country, one who's infrastructure isn't crumbling.

Also you mentioned people that are teacher for 8 years, I know in newfoundland you pretty much peak out at that point. So someone working for 30 years will not make significantly more.

Anyhow I do agree that some teachers may be over paid for the actual amount of work they do, however there are equally, teachers who are severly underpaid for their expertise. The problem is school structures aren't set up to compare and contrast teachers. The teacher is expected to get kids to pass a test that it is it.

I'm strong believer that alternative educational systems will be far more important in the coming generations.

I have friends that are teachers, and the biggest struggle they have is finding a job. There does seem to much uneven distribution of teachers in certain fields.

Old 11-01-2012, 06:35 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,720,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingSamme View Post
They are not making too much. Teaching is very stressful and requires working both at school and at home (going over homework and hundreds of tests). Plus, you can't really get much in terms of promotions. Take out the economic incentive and all the smart people are going to look to other fields for work.
this argument hardly stands.
where exactly will these smart people go to get $85K a year working for 10 months? And did you think teachers are the only ones who had to work after 5pm?

Try to work for a private company with a 2 year degree and 8 years of experience (someone about 30 years old) and make $85K a year, including the banks in Toronto, and I wish you good luck.

If the stats are factual, it goes without saying teachers are overpaid. The stress level is not comparable to many private sector jobs - you never get fired, recession proof, flexible hours (you don't teach 8 hours a day), strong union. Teachers are important, but to pay them $85k a year on average with 2 month vacation, that's ridiculous. I have 8 years of experience exactly, with a master's degree, and don't make that much, or half the vacation. Look for other fields to work, where?

On the contrary, I would love to be paid $75k instead of $85k, and keep the two month vacation. Anyone with me?

Old 11-01-2012, 06:41 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,720,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
. It makes sense for teachers in those cities to get paid more because the cost of living is much higher than it is in the US. Especially housing and food, so quality of life isn't that much higher.
Following your logic, shouldn't all Canadians make higher income than those in comparable US cities?

For the same job and experience level in the private sector,
Is income in Vancouver higher than in Seattle?
Is income in Toronto high than in Chicago/Houston?
Is income in Montreal higher than in Philadelphia/Boston?

Old 11-01-2012, 08:54 AM

654 posts, read 1,495,911 times
Alberta teachers making $87,954 is ridiculous considering the amount of time off they get. It is essentially a PT job.

I went to school in Calgary and my daughter does now. Their schedule is unbelievable as for the amount of days off compared to what we had. They don't go three weeks without a day off.

Off today Nov 1st.....wasn't a holiday just a few years ago. BTW my sister is a teacher, trust me nothing but free time on her hands.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada