Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2014, 11:50 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,077,296 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Where in my posts have I not been objective... I stated they contributed more to the world than Canada but to be expected. They have been and will be a much larger and more influential country than Canada. They have actually been the most influential nation in the world since the turn of the 20th century so certainly they have contributed more than their fair share and i'm happy for it. We also have to be objective about the talent that helped put a man on the moon or other such 'American' triumphs - much talent came not from just within but from other countries including our own.. I lament about the talent we lost after the AVRO Arrow project was discontinued - right around the time of rapid gains in the U.S Space program in the 60's... Our Engineers were a part of that.. Not taking away from their own but it wasn't just isolated achievements. That is often the case with any nation however, where it is cumulative gains in Science and Technology with global collaboration over time, even if only one nation gets the cred for the invention or achievement, the overall success was more spread out and shared.
This is all true, but I am not sure that I see the fact that the United States is a place where many of the best and brightest from all over the world go to become even better, and pursue their dreams and realize their ambitions is really a ''weakness" or a ''shortcoming'' of the U.S.

Old 10-12-2014, 12:31 PM

1,217 posts, read 2,601,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Your long post back there was excellent BTW jonathan. Good finger on the pulse.
Thanks. I enjoyed your account of French Canadian history a few posts back. And learned a few interesting things from it.

Old 10-12-2014, 03:21 PM

4,038 posts, read 4,868,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oranje1 View Post
Can anyone explain Canadian culture to me? I am interested in British-Canadian culture, as I have found more answers for the French. Is British Canadian Culture more than "not American"? What are the traditional foods? Any folk dances? Unique Celebrations? How did Canadians develop the the same as American accents? How come Canadians dress and act like Americans? Why do Canadians still have a monarch as head of state? Why does Quebec receive more money from the federal government than other provinces? Thanks in advance! Oranje1
Tea and crumpets at the Empress Hotel in Victoria, British Columbia. But also, salmon bakes on the beach or at home. A more Euro-style approach to taxes and public benefits. A sense of being more humane than the dog-eat-dog system in the US.

Old 10-12-2014, 03:39 PM

29 posts, read 35,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbesdj View Post
I attained my bachelor's degree, lived there for several years, and learned French there. Canada is a part of me and I cherish the time I spent there and the lessons I learned there, I find it to be a fascinating country with countless positive attributes, and I am especially enamored with Quebec which miraculously has survived as a blossoming distinct French language society in North America. Another aspect of Canada that intrigues me is the dynamic between English and French Canada, and the unique development of Canada as part of the British Empire. Seeing as this is an American internet forum, and I have spent significant parts of my life between the two countries, I see no reason why I shouldn't gravitate towards the Canada forums.

Frankly Jesse, you are the one needlessly insulting a new member on an internet forum who has simply shown a new found fascination in your country. Rather than comments like "you mad bro" perhaps you could apologize for insulting our new friend and show him a warm Canadian welcome.
The problem with the internet is that it greatly limits our range of emotional expression. Also many online are just angry people. But in more case than one people who would otherwise be friends end up as nemesises on the internet due to some rather pointless squabbling or hurt feelings and egos.

Old 10-13-2014, 01:57 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,355,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oranje1 View Post
Can anyone explain Canadian culture to me? I am interested in British-Canadian culture, as I have found more answers for the French. Is British Canadian Culture more than "not American"? What are the traditional foods? Any folk dances? Unique Celebrations? How did Canadians develop the the same as American accents? How come Canadians dress and act like Americans? Why do Canadians still have a monarch as head of state? Why does Quebec receive more money from the federal government than other provinces? Thanks in advance! Oranje1
Your topic has been up for a while now, through your own research and responses from posters have you come to any conclusions on your efforts to define Canadian culture?
Some more resources on the issue.
https://www.google.ca/#safe=active&q=Canadian+Culture

Old 10-13-2014, 05:03 PM

320 posts, read 481,097 times
Well, speaking of Canadian culture...

Happy Thanksgiving!!!

(or, as we say here in the U.S.: Happy Canadian Thanksgiving!)

Old 10-13-2014, 05:56 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,337,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Monkey View Post
Well, speaking of Canadian culture...

Happy Thanksgiving!!!

(or, as we say here in the U.S.: Happy Canadian Thanksgiving!)
Thank you. The turkey was delicious and now I'm making turkey soup.

Old 10-13-2014, 07:07 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,341,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Thank you. The turkey was delicious and now I'm making turkey soup.
Awesome glad you had a Great thanksgiving to be honest I am stuffed and had my Fill of pumpkin pie till atleast Christmas..

Man I think my family and relatives deliberately try to over feed me with all the food they make or bring to our annual holiday feasts/get-togethers.

Old 10-14-2014, 06:55 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,077,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Migratory Chicken View Post

I also want to extend my thanks to Acajack for his posts here. I was familiar with him from his comments in a blog I used to read, so I was happy to read him again here, and he does a very good job defending the point of view of francophone Quebec. It's something I've sometimes tried doing, but I don't have his patience, or the obvious love that he also has for English Canada from growing up there. Those qualities really do help him here.
Thanks. I don't recall anyone called Migratory Chicken on any of the forums I frequented, so I guess this is a new name!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.