Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2015, 09:49 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,728,787 times

Advertisements

I have argued many times that the US adopts a double standard when dealing with dictatorship countries where human rights records are abysmal. It seems Canada adopts the same hypocritical foreign policy - when all the fancy self righteous words about freedom and human rights are stripped, what is left is naked self-interest. It makes me disgusted every time John Baird opens his mouth.

Canada

The Canadian government is refusing to say whether it obtained assurances that light armoured vehicles being sold to Saudi Arabia in a massive $15-billion deal would not be used against the Saudi people – a key guarantee required by federal export controls when arms are destined for countries with a “persistent record of serious violations of the human rights of their citizens.”

“If you criticize the government you’re very likely to be jailed, investigated, convicted, [and] sentenced to some ludicrously long prison term, especially in the last few years since 2011 when the Saudis developed a paranoia about the emergence of any sort of domestic challenge or opposition,” - not so different from Russia Canada pretends to hate so much, is it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2015, 10:11 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,560,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
I have argued many times that the US adopts a double standard when dealing with dictatorship countries where human rights records are abysmal. It seems Canada adopts the same hypocritical foreign policy - when all the fancy self righteous words about freedom and human rights are stripped, what is left is naked self-interest. It makes me disgusted every time John Baird opens his mouth.

Canada

The Canadian government is refusing to say whether it obtained assurances that light armoured vehicles being sold to Saudi Arabia in a massive $15-billion deal would not be used against the Saudi people – a key guarantee required by federal export controls when arms are destined for countries with a “persistent record of serious violations of the human rights of their citizens.”

“If you criticize the government you’re very likely to be jailed, investigated, convicted, [and] sentenced to some ludicrously long prison term, especially in the last few years since 2011 when the Saudis developed a paranoia about the emergence of any sort of domestic challenge or opposition,” - not so different from Russia Canada pretends to hate so much, is it?
Everything Harper says and does is hypocritical. I'm not sure why you are surprised. Are you just now coming to the realization that we have one of the most corrupt and despicable PM's in history?

Old 01-23-2015, 10:15 AM

1,706 posts, read 2,437,560 times
Quote:

Canada

You are right. This is most likely not a good idea. Western countries should not trade arms and have relationships with countries like Saudi.

But where is the double standard? Arms manufacturing countries like US/Canada/France will sell weapons to any country that does not pose a direct threat to them and if they don't have arms sanctions applied on them. For example, nearly every country sold weapons to Pakistan when it was a dictatorship. Is Saudi Arabia "worse" than Pakistan? I dont think so ....

Old 01-23-2015, 10:19 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,560,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman249 View Post
You are right. This is most likely not a good idea. Western countries should not trade arms and have relationships with countries like Saudi.

But where is the double standard? Arms manufacturing countries like US/Canada/France will sell weapons to any country that does not pose a direct threat to them and if they don't have arms sanctions applied on them. For example, nearly every country sold weapons to Pakistan when it was a dictatorship. Is Saudi Arabia "worse" than Pakistan? I dont think so ....
Does it frustrate Americans that most of the terrorists of 9/11 were Saudis?

Old 01-23-2015, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Does it frustrate Americans that most of the terrorists of 9/11 were Saudis?
Well, the events around 9/11 do frustrate and anger a lot of people. Especially the Iraq war. But I don't think many people make the Saudi connection because from the outside it appears that the US has a very good relationship with them. US may not be able to control individuals in Saudi, but it would be fair to say that it controls the elite in Saudi.

Osama was also Saudi, but I don't think that people make that clear connection because most of the "extreme radicalization" happened in places like Afghanistan.

I think most smart people realize that American foreign policy has a long history of being messed up. But there is a general feeling that it has gotten a lot better under Obama. Frankly, you turn the clock back on anyone and all you will find are terrible mistakes and true horror.

Last edited by sandman249; 01-23-2015 at 10:44 AM..

Old 01-23-2015, 12:14 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,728,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman249 View Post

and the sanctions are based on what? American wishes? For example, does Canada sell weapons to Iran or Iraq? They don't pose a direct threat on Canada whatsoever. Does Russia pose a direct threat on Canada?

I think it is perfectly fine to deal with whoever suits our national interest, just don't pretend it is due to moral reasons (human rights, freedom), when in fact Canada and US don't care about those in other countries whatsoever.

Old 01-23-2015, 01:17 PM

Quote:
and the sanctions are based on what? American wishes? For example, does Canada sell weapons to Iran or Iraq? They don't pose a direct threat on Canada whatsoever. Does Russia pose a direct threat on Canada?

I think it is perfectly fine to deal with whoever suits our national interest, just don't pretend it is due to moral reasons (human rights, freedom), when in fact Canada and US don't care about those in other countries whatsoever.
I am not going to debate foreign policy with you because I think you have very limited knowledge about it. For example:
(1) You fail to recognize that Canada and Iran have no diplomatic relation. They have a very poor relationship and Iran often calls Canada its enemy.

Why Canada severed relations with Iran - World - CBC News

(2) Russia has been posing a threat to NATO countries including Canada for many years. Canadian northern borders are under constant threat by Russia.

Old 01-23-2015, 01:35 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,293,297 times
Quote:
Does Russia pose a direct threat on Canada?
Absolutely, in a real and tangible manner. I think present day Russia is far more of a threat than the Soviets ever were.

Old 01-23-2015, 01:46 PM

Quote:
I will say one last thing.

I am frankly tired of you using skewed examples of places like Saudi Arabia to paint Western foreign policy with a broad brush.

No one pretends to be doing things for "moral" reasons. It is true that Western countries have made very bad foreign policy decisions in the past. But for the past 6-8 years, I have not witnessed Obama (or other Western leaders) act irresponsibly and talk about regime change in foreign countries.

In fact, the exact opposite has happened. That includes building back ties with Cuba and placing strategic sanctions on countries like North Korea, Russia, etc. And most recently, countries planning on getting together to TALK with Iran.

There has been a clear shift in foreign policy over the past many years. You can keep ignoring it if you want and keep talking about Saudi .... but the fact is that Western foreign policy is much more strategic and much more MORAL (human, rights freedom, etc) than it used to be .. (call it foreign policy 2.0 if you will).

And finally, let's challenge your obsession with Saudi. Why do you think Saudi is so bad? Cause they have archaic Islamic laws and don't let women drive? Is that it? Do you think that there is an equivalency between the actions of the Saudi Kingdom and countries like North Korea or Russia? Is the Saudi Kingdom like Boko Haram? No.

The fact is that Saudi is a country mostly under US control. But there is no doubt that the Western countries should apply more pressure on the Saudi rulers to moderate many of their practices. But what more can they do? Obama has given many speeches that deal with this Saudi problem head on. I am sure that you have never read about them. But the point is that no one trying to "pretend" that Saudi is free country with no human rights problems. But to equate them with other evil regimes like North Korea and Russia is just wrong.

Old 01-23-2015, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
Absolutely, in a real and tangible manner. I think present day Russia is far more of a threat than the Soviets ever were.
Yes. Sadly, the poster botticelli doesn't know much about foreign relations/policies. He just uses Israel and Saudi Arabia to prove all his nonsensical points. Saying that Iran and Russia have good relationships with Canada might be the most bizarre thing I have heard someone state in a long long time!!!!

?Canada to Russia: ?We will defend our sovereignty in the Arctic? ? RT News
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada