Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2015, 12:36 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,040,463 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonkid123 View Post
Don't flatter yourself... More like a Canadian Boston
A Canadian Monaco, minus all the money and with sky-high taxes!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2015, 04:56 PM

1,987 posts, read 2,111,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
As much as I hate to get into another discussion over Montreal being European vs. American, I don't get which American city (or cities) Montreal resembles?
As for Montreal looking European, once again - what does a European city look like? Oslo? Helsinki? Naples? Athens?
Montreal has always felt very familiar: the little diners with American-style breakfasts, English heard almost everywhere, two English-speaking universities, an English-language daily newspaper, and the (surprisingly) weak level of French-language skills among most Anglophones there, even Montreal-born. The city reminds me much less of Europe (read: Brussels, Amsterdam, Lyon, Barcelona, Munich) and much more of some American cities with a good quality of life, good parks, "North American" residential neighborhoods (like Westmount or Outremont), and lots of walkable areas: Boston, Minneapolis, Portland, Pittsburgh, and even center-city Philadelphia. I like Montreal, but thought it was very much like the foregoing US cities in most every way except for some Quebec culture, cuisine, and street signs in French. It's subjective, but that's how Montreal has always hit me.

Old 03-05-2015, 06:28 PM

65 posts, read 129,800 times
More and more these days, I notice that nothing but hyperbole is used in any discussion regarding Quebec, mostly just to appease the convenient fantasys of either hardcore sovereignists or federalists. Sure, things are never black and white but to see posters who claim to be federalist be so confident about some assertion that Quebec will separate no matter what just seems completely defeatist and mindless.Has anything really changed aside from what propoganda and fuel is being spewed by the media?...and mainly sensationalist trash too.

The situation is no different then before really, aside from some more people identifying more strongly as quebecois, but that itself is no indication of increased support for independence. If it can be known that having less resentment against canada among Quebecois doesn't equate to more support for Canadian nationalism then why can't the greater Quebec-only idendity not necessarily indicate eventual sovereignty?

It just seems like a case of picking out certain truths among others for your own arguement.

Just to be clear on the whole demographic thing, the 8% refers to mother tongue only and the 10% refers to home language, but as an quebec Anglophone myself , I know that the general minority of anglophones is even slightly beyond that. Not many people like to acknowledge this though.

Old 03-07-2015, 08:33 AM

242 posts, read 242,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nationalistdefeator View Post
More and more these days, I notice that nothing but hyperbole is used in any discussion regarding Quebec, mostly just to appease the convenient fantasys of either hardcore sovereignists or federalists. Sure, things are never black and white but to see posters who claim to be federalist be so confident about some assertion that Quebec will separate no matter what just seems completely defeatist and mindless.Has anything really changed aside from what propoganda and fuel is being spewed by the media?...and mainly sensationalist trash too.

The situation is no different then before really, aside from some more people identifying more strongly as quebecois, but that itself is no indication of increased support for independence. If it can be known that having less resentment against canada among Quebecois doesn't equate to more support for Canadian nationalism then why can't the greater Quebec-only idendity not necessarily indicate eventual sovereignty?

It just seems like a case of picking out certain truths among others for your own arguement.

Just to be clear on the whole demographic thing, the 8% refers to mother tongue only and the 10% refers to home language, but as an quebec Anglophone myself , I know that the general minority of anglophones is even slightly beyond that. Not many people like to acknowledge this though.
I can guess you are a angryphone by the end of the first line. Shocking, no?

Old 03-07-2015, 08:50 AM

428 posts, read 451,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonjour185 View Post
I can guess you are a angryphone by the end of the first line. Shocking, no?
And you can tell you are a Quebec separatist just by your location.

Old 03-07-2015, 09:18 AM

183 posts, read 218,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nationalistdefeator View Post

That's the problem, nothing has changed. Every year that nothing has changed it gets worse. We do not want status quo but that is all that has happened since 1995. Do you rememeber? A "non" vote was not to be a vote to keep things the same they said, but they lied and tricked us. So here it is today and still it is that everything is the same with no thing to show but the clarity act. You know, some people will get tired of waiting for all the changes that the PLQ says they will bring, but they never come even close. Contrast to the PQ which is vigorous and full of life, with at least the courage to try new things.

Old 03-07-2015, 07:51 PM

542 posts, read 503,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViveLeQuebecLibre View Post
That's the problem, nothing has changed. Every year that nothing has changed it gets worse. We do not want status quo but that is all that has happened since 1995. Do you rememeber? A "non" vote was not to be a vote to keep things the same they said, but they lied and tricked us. So here it is today and still it is that everything is the same with no thing to show but the clarity act. You know, some people will get tired of waiting for all the changes that the PLQ says they will bring, but they never come even close. Contrast to the PQ which is vigorous and full of life, with at least the courage to try new things.
You have your priorities in the wrong order. It is increasingly the case that Canadians by and large want to appear "progressive" and "pacifist". For us this means a Canada that will do ask we request.

1. More prone to negotiate

2. Gives us more than we expected to reap

3. Be willing to repeat the process over again

For Quebec this means more gains to come. Separatism advocates tossing aside all that Canada has to give us in exchange for an emotional fulfillment. A separate Quebec will come, but there is no reason to rush.

Old 03-07-2015, 08:21 PM

156 posts, read 200,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBeauchamp View Post
You have your priorities in the wrong order. It is increasingly the case that Canadians by and large want to appear "progressive" and "pacifist". For us this means a Canada that will do ask we request.

1. More prone to negotiate

2. Gives us more than we expected to reap

3. Be willing to repeat the process over again

For Quebec this means more gains to come. Separatism advocates tossing aside all that Canada has to give us in exchange for an emotional fulfillment. A separate Quebec will come, but there is no reason to rush.
You know what PBeauchamp? At least you are direct with your demands. You don't even bother to mask it or pretend that Quebec can ever be placated. I'll give you that. You say it like it is, even if I find your cause deplorable.

Old 03-08-2015, 10:15 AM

428 posts, read 451,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by babyblue1987 View Post
You know what PBeauchamp? At least you are direct with your demands. You don't even bother to mask it or pretend that Quebec can ever be placated. I'll give you that. You say it like it is, even if I find your cause deplorable.
There is the PBeauchamp model which is making direct and open list of demands, then there is the Acajack model of veiling your demands with politeness. In the end it's all the same thing.

Old 03-08-2015, 06:44 PM

542 posts, read 503,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modernrebel View Post
There is the PBeauchamp model which is making direct and open list of demands, then there is the Acajack model of veiling your demands with politeness. In the end it's all the same thing.
What I am saying has been rather reasonable and rational. Would you rather me emulate Acajack? Tip toe around the needs and wants of anglo Canadians? I find it is better to speak truthfully, rather than line my lies with pleasantries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada