Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2015, 04:23 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,526,770 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelp88 View Post
Man I think Quebec is cool, I love going there. They are some great people. It's really sad to see some of them betray their own people for the chance to curry favor with the English speakers or for a token financial benefit. It's like some of them look down on their own people and desperately want to be English Canadians and they don't believe they are good enough to have a real country. You feel embarrassed just to watch it, kind of like one of those Indians or Nigerians who are so confused that they wish they were British. Quebec should have gotten independence a long, long time ago. That would be such an awesome country. They have serious potential, and everything they need for a successful country. It boggles the mind! Maybe when you've been a colony for that long, you just get used to it.
The main issue here is that this is not strictly about colonialism, not like it was. Quebec has nothing to do with the UK, and does have the power to make its own rules. The question is whether or not it should remain in a political and economic federation with the other former British colonies in the region, not whether or not it should be free of British imperial oppression, which if you think exists in Quebec I'd be happy to introduce you to my Ghandhist grandparents who faced actual British colonial oppression in India. Nobody is subservient to anyone, just like Nova Scotia isn't oppressed by and currying favour with its imperial masters in Gatineau just by virtue of being in a federation with Quebec that has Quebecois federal politicans in position of power in the federal government. It's a ridiculous narrative that helps no one, we should address this question by looking at the modern situation realistically.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2015, 04:27 PM

261 posts, read 275,774 times
Acajack, you seem to consider Julie Snyder to hold a particularly great amount of soft power. I'm curious to know your reasoning in this regard. To me she's a well-known TV host (and a very successful entrepreneur in her own right), but plenty of well-known TV people have made the jump to politics, and it didn't give them any specific advantage. And Julie Snyder may actually have a bit of a "kitschy" reputation. So what according to you is so special about her?

Old 02-17-2015, 04:41 PM

565 posts, read 672,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Migratory Chicken View Post
Acajack, you seem to consider Julie Snyder to hold a particularly great amount of soft power. I'm curious to know your reasoning in this regard. To me she's a well-known TV host (and a very successful entrepreneur in her own right), but plenty of well-known TV people have made the jump to politics, and it didn't give them any specific advantage. And Julie Snyder may actually have a bit of a "kitschy" reputation. So what according to you is so special about her?
She is Pierre-Karl Peladeau's conjointe.

Old 02-17-2015, 05:05 PM

Well I guess that's "special" in the sense that there's only one person in this role, but does this give her power that he couldn't wield himself?

Old 02-17-2015, 06:38 PM

65 posts, read 67,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
The main issue here is that this is not strictly about colonialism, not like it was. Quebec has nothing to do with the UK, and does have the power to make its own rules. The question is whether or not it should remain in a political and economic federation with the other former British colonies in the region, not whether or not it should be free of British imperial oppression, which if you think exists in Quebec I'd be happy to introduce you to my Ghandhist grandparents who faced actual British colonial oppression in India. Nobody is subservient to anyone, just like Nova Scotia isn't oppressed by and currying favour with its imperial masters in Gatineau just by virtue of being in a federation with Quebec that has Quebecois federal politicans in position of power in the federal government. It's a ridiculous narrative that helps no one, we should address this question by looking at the modern situation realistically.
I understand all of that, just saying that is what I see alot of in Quebec, guys who for some ultra complicated reason want to stay in Canada, but at the same time be completely independent of it. I see others who are are the colonial caricatures of the early 20th century who do what their masters tell them to do in return for a small piece of recognition, sorry but I don't know how else to say it. Yeah, Quebec has a decent amount of control over it's own affairs, but that doesn't mean a large chunk of the population doesn't have a colonial-based mentality. Just saying, the rest of the Americas grappled with this at some point in time.

To be completely honest (some of you will hate me for being so honest, but what the heck) I see a lot of people in Quebec who are quick to bargain their future existence in exchange for.....? I don't even know what. And they don't seem to be able to tell me. They believe that they are better off in Canada, but can't give a real tangible reason. Only some abstract ideas about how they hope the country becoming a devolved confederacy long in the future or how they can get some economic boost or some other completely unrealistic aim. What they place at stake is their future and the actual existence of their culture and the the fantastic nation (and yes say nation because Quebec is undoubtedly a full blown nation) that they have built and that exists in North America. I know you are a pro-Canada guy by the way you talk, and that's fine but this is what I see when I look at the potentially marvelous country of Quebec, but I'm just being 100% straightforward as a guy who has no stake in the fight.

Old 02-17-2015, 06:45 PM

3,070 posts, read 5,232,614 times
Was his conjointe - they split, didn't they?

Anyways, I'm inclined to agree with Acajack. If it didn't happen with Levesque in the height if that era, I don't see it happening now, particularly as young Quebecois generations differ in their perception of being federal, as compared to parents/grandparents.

The minority will always exist, but I see them dying off in current numbers.

Old 02-17-2015, 06:59 PM

"their perception of being federal"?

Oh, and PKP and Julie Snyder got back together a few months after splitting, so they're together now and are planning to marry this year.

Old 02-17-2015, 07:33 PM

565 posts, read 672,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliss2 View Post
Was his conjointe - they split, didn't they?
They've been back together for a while.

Old 02-17-2015, 07:55 PM

3,070 posts, read 5,232,614 times
Ah I see, thanks. I recently left Quebec and don't deal with this anymore. I still watch zeste and evasion, but that's it!

Old 02-18-2015, 01:08 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelp88 View Post
I understand all of that, just saying that is what I see alot of in Quebec, guys who for some ultra complicated reason want to stay in Canada, but at the same time be completely independent of it. I see others who are are the colonial caricatures of the early 20th century who do what their masters tell them to do in return for a small piece of recognition, sorry but I don't know how else to say it. Yeah, Quebec has a decent amount of control over it's own affairs, but that doesn't mean a large chunk of the population doesn't have a colonial-based mentality. Just saying, the rest of the Americas grappled with this at some point in time.

To be completely honest (some of you will hate me for being so honest, but what the heck) I see a lot of people in Quebec who are quick to bargain their future existence in exchange for.....? I don't even know what. And they don't seem to be able to tell me. They believe that they are better off in Canada, but can't give a real tangible reason. Only some abstract ideas about how they hope the country becoming a devolved confederacy long in the future or how they can get some economic boost or some other completely unrealistic aim. What they place at stake is their future and the actual existence of their culture and the the fantastic nation (and yes say nation because Quebec is undoubtedly a full blown nation) that they have built and that exists in North America. I know you are a pro-Canada guy by the way you talk, and that's fine but this is what I see when I look at the potentially marvelous country of Quebec, but I'm just being 100% straightforward as a guy who has no stake in the fight.
You are right Quebec has become a nation within a nation,the logical course of action at this point would be to break from the mother country and go it alone however its just too cozy and comfortable to stay within the confines of the Canadian collective, why bother soaring to new heights as a new nation when you can just sit in the nest and have all your needs met.
Mr Peladeau may shift that attitude as he is a very powerful man who happens to own the lions share of Quebecs media infrastructure,a very powerful tool to wield in the shaping of public opinion and attitude on any given issue including separation...

Any one else think he bares a resemblance to Michael Palin?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada