Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 02:41 PM

8 posts, read 43,120 times

Advertisements

Ive heard that Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver all have very livley and happening music scenes. Which one is the best for a musician like myself to find a band and play shows etc. Which one is the strongest? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2008, 03:47 PM

1,048 posts, read 6,443,748 times
They all have different things going on.

Toronto has by far the largest music scene, but that's partially in relation to it being the largest city in Canada. It's also home to Canada's media headquarters, record companies, and publishing houses, so by default Toronto has a lot more of that kind of stuff going on. I don't know what it would be like to make a living there, but that's where I'd go if that was my goal.

And yet saying that, Montreal is the more attractive city out of the two (in my opinion) - its' the cheapest of all three cities to live in, it just feels very artsy/bohemian/sentimental, the architecture is beautiful, and the population in general strongly supports the arts. They also have some of the best music festivals in Canada (Montreal Jazz Fest, Pop Montreal, etc). So many people move to Montreal for its music scene because the atmosphere of the city inspires creativity.

Vancouver has a huge DIY music scene and all the touring bands that play Toronto also play Vancouver. Vancouver has the smallest scene, but it's close-knit and a lot of fun. I wouldn't come to Vancouver to make a living as a musician, unless you had a day job or were one of the few that got really successful. Vancouver's a lot of fun for other reasons however (hanging out at the beach, road trips to Seattle, being able to embrace the outdoors)... it's very, very laid back and about as far as corporate culture as you can get. It's a city that's constantly recreating and establishing its own identity, including the identity and direction of its music scene. There are no rules or limits.

Old 01-11-2008, 05:39 PM

1,669 posts, read 4,239,686 times
Toronto is like an indie rock utopia - "Torontopia". Inner city Toronto is packed full of artsy bohemians who ride around town on old fixed gear bikes by day and play in bands by night.

Old 01-11-2008, 05:57 PM

Here's an informative article on the "Torontopia" concept: Exclaim! Canada's Music Authority

Old 01-15-2008, 11:27 PM

35 posts, read 148,463 times
isn't it kind of cold to ride yer bike?

two words: Arcade Fire

(montreal)

Old 01-16-2008, 05:08 AM

People take their bike riding pretty seriously up here, and ride all year round.

Some good Toronto bands:
Broken Social Scene
Metric
Do make Say Think
Feist
The Constantines
The Hidden cameras

Old 01-25-2008, 11:33 PM

167 posts, read 213,810 times
Toronto seems to find lots of good artists, Skye Sweetnam, Avril Lavigne, Three Days Grace, the list goes on.
Oh and credit goes to Vancouver, MandoPop star Elva Hsiao is from there.

Old 01-29-2008, 02:45 PM

10 posts, read 51,933 times
Although I hate Winnipeg with a passion, I would have to say we do have a really good music scene. Maybe not the best in Canada, but it's possible! Small local venues have great acts. Winnipeg is home to BTO, The Guess Who, Chantal Kreviazuk, Burton Cummings, and Neil Young to name a few!!

Old 01-29-2008, 02:50 PM

Winnipeg was home to them until they all moved to Toronto or the U.S.A. ;-)

Another really good band from Winnipeg is the Weakerthans.

Old 01-29-2008, 02:54 PM

10 posts, read 51,933 times
Actually, Fred Turner still lives here, Burton Cummings has a house here as well as ownership of Salisbury House Restaurants. But I know what you mean. Winnipeg isn't exactly one of those place you would like to call home anyways.

The music scene is really good. I am more into the blues type of stuff, so I guess it all depends on what you like. There are a pile of great venues in this city.

By the way, I've never heard of the Weakerthans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada