Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2015, 03:12 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,560,052 times

Advertisements

LOL...didn't take long for a thread about national topics to turn to hockey. Now where are the beer comments?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2015, 01:23 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
American stories that take people to task are so much more juicier/embellished than Canadian stories,Case in point our Mike Duffy story, so boring even the media seems not to want to report on it, can you imagine how this story would have been handled by the likes of FOX.=
Lowly senator threatens to bring down entire government

Old 04-14-2015, 01:34 AM

3,625 posts, read 3,412,654 times
Alberta will have a provincial election soon.

The province's deficit seems to be the major issue. With world oil prices falling, the province can't count on oil revenues to make up the deficit. We've just had a budget that hikes taxes (even on fuel).

Will we re-elect the Conservatives, or will we take a chance on the even-further-right Wildrose? To be honest, I don't like the Wildrose--they are too far to the right for me. They seems to think that they can roll back the clock on issues that are federal: abortion, gay rights, etc. They cannot, and they should know it, but they play to their electorate, whom they convince that they can act ultra vires the province's jurisdiction.

It's gonna be interesting. Stay tuned.

Old 04-14-2015, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
American stories that take people to task are so much more juicier/embellished than Canadian stories,Case in point our Mike Duffy story, so boring even the media seems not to want to report on it, can you imagine how this story would have been handled by the likes of FOX.=
Lowly senator threatens to bring down entire government
Certainly it's less sensationally presented than some other countries would do it, but I find it no less interesting.
At least, the people I know for the most part are following the story closely. Some for a bit of titillation, but most out wanting to know more of the inner workings of this government.

Old 04-14-2015, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
Alberta will have a provincial election soon.

The province's deficit seems to be the major issue. With world oil prices falling, the province can't count on oil revenues to make up the deficit. We've just had a budget that hikes taxes (even on fuel).

Will we re-elect the Conservatives, or will we take a chance on the even-further-right Wildrose? To be honest, I don't like the Wildrose--they are too far to the right for me. They seems to think that they can roll back the clock on issues that are federal: abortion, gay rights, etc. They cannot, and they should know it, but they play to their electorate, whom they convince that they can act ultra vires the province's jurisdiction.

It's gonna be interesting. Stay tuned.
I agree, Wildrose is too extreme.

Old 04-14-2015, 10:41 AM

11,155 posts, read 29,323,086 times
From a B.C. perspective (who also lived and worked in AB on and off) I would love to See Alberta elect a 21st Century Ralph Klein TBH.

Old 04-14-2015, 11:28 AM

11,155 posts, read 29,323,086 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-7Nhyj7y5s
Rex Murphy did a great news piece on Ralph Klein

Old 04-14-2015, 01:26 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,493,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Certainly it's less sensationally presented than some other countries would do it, but I find it no less interesting.
At least, the people I know for the most part are following the story closely. Some for a bit of titillation, but most out wanting to know more of the inner workings of this government.
The little they give us to "flesh" out an item; such as the bit about Duffy having us pay for the framing of his family photos he presented to Barbara Bush (bet we know where those ended up) are just enough to get the imagination percolating. The nerve of that slimeball!

Must give credit where credit is due though: couldn't have asked for better emissaries than he and Whallin to stimulate discussion on an elected senate.

Old 04-14-2015, 11:34 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,528,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
I agree, Wildrose is too extreme.
Newest polls have them out ahead, unfortunately, although we're looking at a tight 3 way race between them, the PCs, the and the NDP surprisingly enough, with the Liberals also making taking a respectable dozen-ish seats. An uncharacteristically competitive election for that province! Very interested to see how this one will play out. I have to say, I'm not from Alberta and have few connections to it, but I'm a bit surprised the PCs are doing so poorly, I was impressed by their handling of the drop in oil, it seemed like a very responsible budget delivered promptly. Of course, I understand that the election is not solely on the budget, that the Redford legacy haunts that party and that they've baggage and inefficiencies after so many decades in power. Still, a very interesting race in an influential province.

ThreeHundredEight.com

Old 04-15-2015, 02:17 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
As we in the east arent really up on the specifics of the Wild Rose party just how right of center are they? are they like the Canadian equivalent of Americas Teabag Party?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada