Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 08:24 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,293,297 times

Advertisements

What the heck, I'll bite a bit.

Vying for a military industrial complex.

Well, lets just say that they are making up for nearly two decades of non-spending by previous governments. The Canadian Forces is in a sorry state of disrepair for a country that has the second largest land mass and longest coastline on earth. No viable naval force. Air force that is 20 years old. The Snowbirds demonstration team flies aircraft that are nearly the age of the PARENTS of the pilots that fly them. If you recall when the Forces went to Afghanistan with the UN they had dark green winter weight BDU to fight in a desert environment. Oh right, you weren't in Canada then.

Income Trusts

That was a financial decision to keep YOUR and MY taxes from going through the roof. The size of the companies vying to go to trust status to defer taxes to unit holders would have resulted in Billions of dollars being diverted from Federal coffers. Trusts were and are a good idea for small/midsize companies, but the rules were too fast and loose and needed to be revised.

Greenhouse Gas

As you may be aware in your nearly two years in Canada, it is a vast, thinly populated country blessed with a resource based economy. While you walk through the pot haze and step over heroin junkies in the streets of Vancouver it is difficult to realize I'm sure, but nearly every employer in the country is somehow related to the production of, release of, or manufacture of something that releases greenhouse gas. Now having been through the NEP of the 80's, something your extensive 700 day experience hasn't given you, when you cut the guts out of Alberta's energy industry, the entire country suffers. Ask around and see what happened when the O&G sector collapsed. While it is very nice to give lip service to cutting X amount of carbon to X level, talking and doing are completely different things. Should it be done, of course. However I like things like heat in the winter, travelling by car, etc. The numbers are arbitrary and take no consideration of climate or geography or industry profile.

I'm done for now.

Mike

Old 01-23-2008, 08:54 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,662,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. Papillion View Post
Dear Mishigas 73 -

You response proves my point. I only said I landed two years ago - not lived in Canada two years. Moreover, length of life in a land absolutely nothing to do with how well one is educated in the ways, culture and laws of that land. Dismiss what I say with reputable facts and I can easily match what in say either in english or if I choose en francais, n'est pas! Let's discuss one of the Bills I referenced for a start. You will loose this conversation. Pick a topic - the platform of any major political party? How about Income Trust Taxation? Or the merits of intensity targets as proposed by both Premier Stelmech of Alberta of the Rt. Honourable Stephen Harper? How about Canada's violation of her obligations under the UN Charter On The Rights of The Child? How about the merits of the recently released "Manley Report" or Chalk River? Have you visited every Province in Canada, hiked, tented, visited many of her National Parks. Canadians enjoy dissing the U.S. but will not discuss with facts their own country. Yes, I an not good enough for Canada, only good enough for Canadian euphemisms. I care more for Canada than you do.
Im still trying to figure out what on earth are you talking about. I cant figure out what side your on. You sound like a politico talking lots and lots of big words but what do they mean?

Old 01-23-2008, 11:18 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,749,873 times
Once again, Ms. Papllion is welcome to start a new thread expressing her point(s) of view, and members are welcome to make responses in that thread.

This thread, however, has left the OP long behind and is now closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada