Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2015, 07:58 PM

3,749 posts, read 4,966,930 times

Advertisements

If you tell the guard you're (an American) going to stay in Canada for say, 4 days and you end up staying two weeks, are you breaking any rules? Or can you stay up to 6 months no matter what? I've always been confused about this, because the guards always want a timeline yet one time I did return to the US a day late and nobody cared or mentioned it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2015, 10:32 PM

625 posts, read 1,390,145 times
They make the decision if you seem legit to let into the country, and for how long. Standard is a 6 month limit for Americans, although they could choose to give you less. You're only breaking a rule if you stay longer than it says you can stay (not sure how they do this - do you get a stamp it the passport or what?) I have no idea of there are any consequences to saying one thing and doing something very different as a visitor; e.g. next time you visit Canada.

Old 06-05-2015, 01:14 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
Usually once you are in the country irregardless of what you tell the border guards you can stay as long as you like,however after 6 months you will be considered an illegal alien,when caught you will be deported and never be allowed entry into Canada again.
Also if you tell the border guard you will be staying in the country for a long time like up to 6 months be assured he will ask how you intend to support yourself financially,working will not be an option as you are a tourist and have no documentation that allows you to work..
Best bet is plan on a week or two stay as a tourist (packing accordingly) then just take it from there once in the country.

Old 06-05-2015, 08:10 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,293,297 times
No one knows because Canada, like the US, doesn't have departure control. Once you're in, you're free to stay up to six months in any 12 month period.

Old 06-05-2015, 09:28 AM

2,829 posts, read 3,174,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
No one knows because Canada, like the US, doesn't have departure control. Once you're in, you're free to stay up to six months in any 12 month period.
Yep, great observation. A lot of countries in the world (EU, China) have departure controls where they check the validity/period of your stay. Some countries also use it to screen out travelers they want to keep within their borders...

Old 06-05-2015, 09:50 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
They do have departure control but its seldom used, also once you are in you can basically stay the rest of your life but after 6 months you will become an illegal alien.
Then theres the problem of income,you wont have a social insurance number,you wont have a healthcare card and you'll always be at risk of being found out and then taken into custody and shortly thereafter deported.

Some of the powers at the CBSAs discretio.
http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/security-...ction-eng.html

Old 06-05-2015, 08:11 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,555,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini-apple-less View Post
If you tell the guard you're (an American) going to stay in Canada for say, 4 days and you end up staying two weeks, are you breaking any rules? Or can you stay up to 6 months no matter what? I've always been confused about this, because the guards always want a timeline yet one time I did return to the US a day late and nobody cared or mentioned it.
You know what works? The truth. Tell them your plans and possible alternate plans. If you plan on staying six months, tell them. Canadians do this all the time when they head south for the winter.

Old 06-06-2015, 08:45 AM

11,155 posts, read 29,323,086 times
Based on what your said here If I were the CBSA I would already have you flagged as a possible flight risk for overstaying your stated visit time since you plan on lying

Old 06-06-2015, 02:27 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,328,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini-apple-less View Post
What Natnasci said. No one is going to check but you are supposed to tell the truth. If you want to stay for two weeks, say two weeks. If you end up staying for three weeks, no one is going to even notice provided you are a normal, everyday, law-abiding person. If you say four days and your intention is to stay for four days, but then something makes you change your mind and you stay for two weeks, you stay for two weeks. There's nothing wrong with that. You just can't stay for longer than 6 months.

Old 06-06-2015, 08:55 PM

3,749 posts, read 4,966,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
What Natnasci said. No one is going to check but you are supposed to tell the truth. If you want to stay for two weeks, say two weeks. If you end up staying for three weeks, no one is going to even notice provided you are a normal, everyday, law-abiding person. If you say four days and your intention is to stay for four days, but then something makes you change your mind and you stay for two weeks, you stay for two weeks. There's nothing wrong with that. You just can't stay for longer than 6 months.
Yeah, I wouldn't overstay my welcome, but I was always curious as to whether the timeline they give you is a contract or just a guideline.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada