U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Old 08-21-2015, 12:43 AM
3 posts, read 2,068 times
Reputation: 11



I've been wanting to move to Canada because my boyfriend lives there, and we both want to live there. He also isn't the only reason of course (in case we break up)- I really enjoy being there. BUT I also want to pursue my education though so I was curious if there was ever a way I would be able to transfer from a community college here (I live in Arizona) to a Canadian university?

I've been weighing out my options and here are the other two...

1.) Take a year or two off then I save up money and wait to become a permanent resident in Canada and then become a citizen. Afterwards, I apply to a university there.

2.) Pursue my education here and finish with my degree, secure a job, and then move to Canada after getting work experience.

This is my first post so please be patient and kind
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2015, 02:49 PM
449 posts, read 280,413 times
Reputation: 756
Hi, Livimomo! Welcome to the forum!

I'm almost in the same boat as you (I'm a college sophomore and want to go to Canada for grad school, hoping to stay there afterwards). So I've been looking into immigration, work visas, and study permits.

Unfortunately, it doesn't seem like immigration will be an easy task, even for us Americans. If I am correct, they will not let you stay permanently if you don't have a job offer (assuming you have no work experience). You could apply to a Canadian university and get a study permit, but after graduating, you'd have to come back to the U.S. unless you find a job in Canada and get a work visa. If you do get a job in Canada, then you can work for a year or two and then apply for permanent residency. Then after a few years (4, I think), you can apply for citizenship!

Note that if you marry your boyfriend, you will NOT automatically become a citizen or permanent resident, although it will make it easier for you to get permanent residency. And keep in mind that the odds are against us in terms of applying to schools and for jobs because we'd be immigrants. But I'm sure it's still doable!

As for your other two options, I think Canada would prefer immigrants with a college degree, so your first alternative might not be very realistic. Remember, many people who are trying to immigrate have graduate degrees! Your second alternative might be a good idea, though. You'd be applying to immigrate with a college degree and work experience, which is what they want.

So I think you should either try to transfer or go with your second alternative.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2015, 06:26 PM
3 posts, read 2,068 times
Reputation: 11
Thank you so much for replying! Your response really helped me out

I do have a few more questions if that's okay?

Do you think an Associate's Degree would help me try to get permanent residency in Canada?

Also, with spousal sponsorship, how long do you think it would take to be granted it?

Thank you so much
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2015, 08:15 PM
449 posts, read 280,413 times
Reputation: 756
Sure thing! I'm happy to help!

Six selection factors – Federal skilled workers

^This is a page describing the points system used to evaluate prospective immigrants under The federal skilled workers program.

You need 67 points to qualify. These points are awarded based on language proficiency, education, experience, age, employment, and adaptability.

An associate's degree would give you 19 points. Going in with a high school degree alone would give you only 5.

Sponsor your spouse, partner or children

^ Here's some information about spousal sponsorship. I kinda find it to be quite confusing and vague, TBH. But I'm not very bright, so maybe you'll have an easier time understanding it than I.

I want to say that if your spouse (assuming you two marry, of course) successfully sponsors you, then you'll become a permanent resident if you stay together for two years, but I'm not sure if that's true. I mean, that's what it sounds like, but I think I remember reading (on another official site) that you can't just get PR through marriage, BUT you will be allowed to stay in Canada and will receive an open work permit (meaning you don't have to apply for a work visa for every single job offer you get). Either way, sponsorship would be beneficial, although I really don't think you two should get married unless you both feel ready, of course.

As for how long it takes, I don't know; first you two have to get legally married, and then your boyfriend would have to apply for sponsorship. The government would then go through the application and screen you. If I had to guess, I'd say the process would take a few months after sending in the application for sponsorship, maybe a year.

By the way, if your boyfriend is not sufficiently well-off financially, then sponsorship is out of the question, because sponsorship requires proof that the sponsor can support both themselves and their spouse.

I really wish I could help you out more, but as I've said before, I'm in the same boat as you, so I'm still in the process of figuring this all out myself. But feel free to continue asking me questions, and I'll try to answer them to the best of my ability. This all seems really intimidating, but I'm sure we can do it!

Last edited by Halcyon18; 08-21-2015 at 08:24 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2015, 10:34 AM
449 posts, read 280,413 times
Reputation: 756
I found something that might be helpful :

How to Immigrate to Canada from USA: 3 Steps (with Pictures)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2015, 04:10 PM
3 posts, read 2,068 times
Reputation: 11
I learned you're able to apply through several applications too (through spousal sponsorship, skilled worker, etc.) and that the immigration process kinda holds favor for places that are visa exempt, like the U.S!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top