Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2015, 07:57 AM

8 posts, read 20,779 times

Advertisements

First, I would like to thank anyone who actually reads this and offers any help... I've tried going through the message boards and cannot find any real information that matches my situation..

So, to begin I am a 37 year old American citizen... I dated a Canadian citizen for 7 years and throughout the time spent pretty much every holiday with her family up north. I also have managed to spend every summer that I dated her up north as well (I am a school teacher - more on this later) which afforded me the opportunity for summer's off to do that sort of thing... However we are now no longer together in that "relationship" sense (which kills the common law partnership angle for sponsorship for PR) ...

My job is currently that of a High School Special Education teacher... I have done that for the past five years. Unfortunately however I read that teachers, especially secondary teachers are not in high demand in Canada so making my way via the Express Entry High Need Job Route... Previously I worked in marketing / sales / licensing for a number of NASCAR Teams (fun high profile job but again nothing of need) and then a Program Manager for a Job Training Centre for Developmentally Disabled Adults..

I have a number of college degrees... I have an undergraduate degree in Sports Management and two masters degrees in Curriculum and Instruction and Special Education. Someday I would very much like to complete my MBA, as I was once in a program but had to drop out due to my travel schedule for work.

So therefore my question - what is my best path for entry? Should I attempt under a student visa - find an MBA Program and then go the work permit route? What are the job prospects like for a non citizen - is there hesitation from companies to higher non citizens in "white collar" jobs... Should I seek a masters degree in a specific program (other than business) that has a high need? What would be the best route?

Also does which Province one desires? For example I would really like to live in the Edmonton area (as that is an area I know and feel comfortable with) ... though I would be flexible - however I would have zero desire to live in the GTA.....

Once again I thank anyone who has any input for my best possible approach to this ...

Cheers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2015, 09:24 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,287,618 times
The easiest way would be to find a position that you're qualified for that falls under the TN status type.

NAFTA Visas for Individuals :: Canada work visa and work permit :: Campbell Cohen - Canadian Immigration Law Firm

Old 10-29-2015, 04:05 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,366,498 times
The types of jobs that are most in demand in Canada are listed here:
Federal Skilled Worker Program Eligible Occupations

You'd have a decent shot, I would guess, if you could get yourself hired in one of those high-demand occupations.

To become a permanent resident, you'd pretty much have to have a job offer in hand in order to come to Canada.

Old 10-30-2015, 03:13 PM

625 posts, read 1,389,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa2011 View Post
To become a permanent resident, you'd pretty much have to have a job offer in hand in order to come to Canada.
Is the regular old points system (by which you can gain PR) no longer in place? My understanding was only a small portion of immigrants were coming under the "express entry" during this transition. And who's to say if the new government will continue with that course?

Under the points system, someone with a degree, knowledge of English or French, work experience, and under middle age seemed to fare pretty well ... but I'm not sure how this is operating now.

Old 10-30-2015, 04:12 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,366,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by docwatson View Post
Is the regular old points system (by which you can gain PR) no longer in place? My understanding was only a small portion of immigrants were coming under the "express entry" during this transition. And who's to say if the new government will continue with that course?

Under the points system, someone with a degree, knowledge of English or French, work experience, and under middle age seemed to fare pretty well ... but I'm not sure how this is operating now.
I'm not sure how that works. According to the CIC website, a PR applicant gets 10 points if they have a job offer in Canada:
Six selection factors – Federal skilled workers
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada