Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2016, 07:25 AM

5 posts, read 9,007 times

Advertisements

I am a US citizen. Can I live in Ontario Canada but work in the United States? I am an RN with my ASN only. I'm trying to find an RN job in Buffalo and I will be staying with friends of mine. They live in Stevensville. I don't have a visa but I do have my passport. My 10-year-old daughter will also be moving with me. I eventually want to go back and get my bachelors but want to get up there so my daughter can start school. Any input would be helpful. Thank you.

Read more: http://www.city-data.com/forum/buffa...#ixzz3wZDFTc00
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2016, 09:56 AM

3,452 posts, read 4,928,353 times
No. You will need to apply for permanent residence as a skilled worker. This process will take 4-5 years.

Old 01-07-2016, 10:01 AM

2,869 posts, read 4,453,096 times
In order to live in Canada, legally................You would have to apply and be approved by the Canadian Government as a Immigrant. Are you prepared to do that ? If not, forget about living in Canada.

US citizens CAN VISIT Canada, for a short period of time, just as Canadians can VISIT the USA, for short periods of time. BUT if you are trying to enter the USA, day after day, from Ontario.....The US Immigration agents are going to have some pointed questions to ask you.............And so will the Canada Border Services Agency, too.

In short this is a bad idea, on a number of levels.

Jim B.

Old 01-07-2016, 04:28 PM

Ok. Thank you very much for your responses. I will just have to research further.

Old 01-07-2016, 11:52 PM

625 posts, read 1,390,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_gardener View Post
No. You will need to apply for permanent residence as a skilled worker. This process will take 4-5 years.
There are many different ways to immigrate. If you dont have a job offer, the skilled worker category is one; I am unaware how long it takes. You can also be sponsored by an employer if you are offered a job. If it is one of the professions on the NAFTA list, you can receive a TN visa. RN is on the list and I think is a job that is generally on demand although I don't know how easily licensure transfers. Most employers particularly in professional and in demand fields should be familiar with this. There are some other routes as well (self employment, and of course family sponsorship.) I'd agree its beat to do some research and contact a (reputable) immigration consultant if you're serious.

It sounds, however, like you simply want to stay with friends while looking for work in the Buffalo area. This too is possible, as a visitor. Generally, Americans are eligible to visit for up to 6 months. You'd also have to satisfy the border folks that you have sufficient resources for your stay andnthat you intend to return to the US, by proving your connections to the U.S. if you don't currently have a job in the US and leave your home to stay with friends in Canada, they may be suspicious. They have a lot of leeway to decide but there are certain things they look for. So, it would be a good idea to have your ducks in a row.

I'm not sure how you could enroll a student in school, unless you paid international tuition (many districts seem to have this.) Maybe best to contact the district ...

Old 01-09-2016, 09:35 AM

4,374 posts, read 11,230,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_gardener View Post
How do you know thus for sure? My Canadian friend is an RN and under NAFTA she went to CA to do a nursing job and it took hours at the border.

Old 01-09-2016, 10:28 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,043,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adventuregurl View Post
How do you know thus for sure? My Canadian friend is an RN and under NAFTA she went to CA to do a nursing job and it took hours at the border.
Sounds like your Canadian RN friend already had a confirmed, pre-arranged nursing job waiting for her in California.

That's not the same thing as an unemployed person who does not have any confirmed job to go to and is applying for permanent residency in another country.

It's also not the same thing as somebody who wants to know if she and her daughter can reside as illegal immigrants in a foreign country while she travels back and forth across the border every work day to work at a job in their own country.

Old 01-10-2016, 08:59 AM

3,452 posts, read 4,928,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adventuregurl View Post
Hours to do what?

Old 01-10-2016, 09:45 AM

112 posts, read 83,694 times
USA is an paradis in comparison to Canada , so theres no 1 logical reason for moving to Canada ...

Old 01-11-2016, 12:02 PM

Ok. I am not trying to live illegally anywhere. I was simply asking if living in Canada and workin in U.S. was an option since I don't have a BSN. I eventually do want to have permanent residency in Canada. My friend offered for my daughter and to stay with her until we figured out all the legalities. Didn't mean to ruffle and feathers. I do appreciate all the feedback I am getting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada