Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2016, 07:22 AM

6,327 posts, read 9,154,568 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
In short yes!

I just posted in the Toronto forum 2015 stats that have just been released by tourism Toronto and they are very very good. The best year for tourism the city has ever had. 2016 is expected to be even better.

Tourism - Key Industry Sectors - Operate & Grow Your Business | City of Toronto

in 2015 Toronto welcomed over 40 million visitors. Contrast that with 2012 when it welcomed 25 million. That's 15 million more visitors in only 3 years.. Of course, visitors from the U.S have increased dramatically they are not the only group however. 2015 saw a whopping 24 percent increase in visitors from Mexico and Brazil, 13 percent from China and India and 10 percent from the U.K vs 2014 levels.

I haven't looked at the numbers for other Canadian cities but I expect that visitation is up across the board.
I'm guessing some of the massive amount of visitors Toronto had in 2015 may have been because of the Pan American Games. I feel like it may partially explain the large increase from Brazil and Mexico. It will be interesting to see how the numbers are for this year without that large event.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2016, 05:45 PM

3,973 posts, read 5,770,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Don't expect the low CAD to last too long. It is already moving to 75 cents now. I can see 85 cents pretty soon.
True that, nothing lasts forever and we wouldn't be having this conversation had the Canadian Dollar stayed at $1.05-$1.10 U.S. throughout all last year to now. Currency can fluctuate greatly and some of it has to do purely with trade but some of it wildly based on the trust that a currency will make money for speculating investors. The latest CAD increases were likely more of a correction because the CAD fell too quickly and too deeply the past two months. Notice right now it's back at the same level as in September 2015. I'm no macroeconomic expert but I do think it will take some really poor US economic performance combined with solid Canadian economic performance to get to $1.20 U.S by July (Q3) of this year. That would be a pretty significant jump that may be a sign of more ominous things to come. I just don't think mere words from Poloz (right words) or Yellen (wrong words) will do it.

Old 03-02-2016, 09:20 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,879,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
I'm guessing some of the massive amount of visitors Toronto had in 2015 may have been because of the Pan American Games. I feel like it may partially explain the large increase from Brazil and Mexico. It will be interesting to see how the numbers are for this year without that large event.
The spike from the Pan Am games is probably more negligible than you think. The 24 percent increase from Brazil and Mexico is still only about 20 - 30K more for those two groups for 2015 over 2014.. If the Visa requirements for Mex is finally lifted that'll probably bring in even more Mexicans. Even day trips from the U.S as a result of Pan Am wouldn't have been huge I suspect.. China, UK and India have been growing quite a bit YOY for several years now and nothing to do with Pan Am. I doubt the large increase in Canadian visitors to Toronto had a whole lot to do with Pan Am either. I think T.O is seen as a more multidimensional destination than one event even if its a large one. There's always a bunch of events going on in the city that bring a bunch of people to it for a bunch of different reasons. In 2016 you have the NBA All Star game (just concluded), The Grey Cup and some other large sporting event I don't remember what but its also expected to be a record year per Tourism Toronto even without Pan Am

I think the spike is based primarily on two factors more than others. One, a lower CAD dollar attracting more foreign travel and two, Canadians more likely to travel within our borders as its more expensive to travel to the U.S or abroad these days. Another thing of note, the city is getting larger and I think people are starting to take note. Incremental growth isn't always noticeable until a certain point is reached. Its got very strong U.S, domestic and International air connectivity with an airport growing 7 percent per year. We'll see if 2015 was just an outlier or if there is something deeper, more substantive and more multifaceted going on. I suspect the latter.

Last edited by fusion2; 03-02-2016 at 09:39 PM..

Old 03-02-2016, 09:41 PM

3,624 posts, read 3,411,405 times
Quote:
... Its got very strong U.S, domestic and International air connectivity with an airport growing 7 percent per year....
With that kind of growth, Fusion, do you think that that plans for Pickering Airport will be revisited?

Old 03-02-2016, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
With that kind of growth, Fusion, do you think that that plans for Pickering Airport will be revisited?
7 percent growth right now is like adding an airport the size of YOW - Ottawa (4.6 million pax per year) to YYZ (Toronto) every 2 - 2.5 years. Extraordinary if you think of it.

I think there are certain things that can be done to accommodate such growth ie expansion of existing facilities and intelligent scheduling distribution to mitigate pressure points.. These measures will/should take care of things over the next few decades I imagine. Of course, beyond two or three decades, i'm sure there are a lot of discussions going on regarding what to do when the existing airport just can't accommodate the growth of a region that will have over 10 million people in a contiguous urbanized area. It will be even more when accounting for other nearby smaller CMA's very much linked to it in that thing called the Golden Horsheshoe. Whether that is a Pickering or perhaps a more integrated regional approach with already existing airports in the Horseshoe is really just a guess right now I think

Last edited by fusion2; 03-02-2016 at 10:11 PM..

Old 03-02-2016, 10:23 PM

Some good points, Fusion, especially about other airports in the GTA and environs. Thinking about it, I realize that I've flown into, and out of, Hamilton and Island at various times, in addition to Pearson.

And Buttonville too--no scheduled service in those days (and maybe still not), but I had a pilot friend, and we'd fly various places from Buttonville. I seem to recall some ideas about demolishing Buttonville, as the land was so valuable--what's the news on that front, do you know?

Old 03-02-2016, 10:30 PM

Quote:

And Buttonville too--no scheduled service in those days (and maybe still not), but I had a pilot friend, and we'd fly various places from Buttonville. I seem to recall some ideas about demolishing Buttonville, as the land was so valuable--what's the news on that front, do you know?
Haven't heard anything lately though Buttonville is a huge General Aviation airport. I'd think it would represent less GA opportunities for those using it if it were lost. They'd have to be absorbed by other airports including YYZ and that could be problematic. If I hear anything i'll let you know.

Old 03-02-2016, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Haven't heard anything lately though Buttonville is a huge General Aviation airport. I'd think it would represent less GA opportunities for those using it if it were lost. They'd have to be absorbed by other airports including YYZ and that could be problematic. If I hear anything i'll let you know.
That's a good point--that Buttonville can handle GA traffic. I remember when YYZ handled GA traffic, and then when it did not, and GA traffic was downloaded onto Island, Buttonville, and even Maple (long gone now, but situated next to Canada's Wonderland in its day). And of course, without Maple, the need for GA airports only increased.

I hope Buttonville sticks around. If nothing else, it provides a gateway to all the tech companies in the area. I did some contract work for a tech company beside that airport back in the 90s, and enjoyed watching the corporate jets come and go. Much easier than flying into Pearson and trying to drive to the office in Markham.

Old 03-02-2016, 10:47 PM

Quote:
That's a good point--that Buttonville can handle GA traffic. I remember when YYZ handled GA traffic, and then when it did not, and GA traffic was downloaded onto Island, Buttonville, and even Maple (long gone now, but situated next to Canada's Wonderland in its day). And of course, without Maple, the need for GA airports only increased.

I hope Buttonville sticks around. If nothing else, it provides a gateway to all the tech companies in the area. I did some contract work for a tech company beside that airport back in the 90s, and enjoyed watching the corporate jets come and go. Much easier than flying into Pearson and trying to drive to the office in Markham.
Actually YYZ still gets quite a bit of GA activity.. There's some nice GA FBO's like at Landmark and Skyservice FBO.. That said no arguing that if a Buttonville was lost it would represent a lot less choice for the GA community and also a pain if as you said, you want to go to Markham or even the eastern half of the GTA. Getting from Pearson to the east of the city in rush hour is just a nightmare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada