Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2016, 12:31 PM

26,882 posts, read 38,032,223 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
I had a random stranger ask me if I was a Christian a month ago. He turned out to be a retired pastor from Toronto. it was a very strange day and in the parking lot of Shopper's Drug Mart. He started off by asking me if I had a pilot's license (I drive a Pilot) and the segued into was I a Christian.
Sounds like a series of pick-up lines!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2016, 12:41 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,555,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
I had a random stranger ask me if I was a Christian a month ago. He turned out to be a retired pastor from Toronto. it was a very strange day and in the parking lot of Shopper's Drug Mart. He started off by asking me if I had a pilot's license (I drive a Pilot) and the segued into was I a Christian.
I've never had anyone ask me that. I think Acajack, may be right LOL

Old 03-03-2016, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Our evangelicals are just more reserved perhaps? You do see Jehovah Witness's on the street, but I know of no one who has an issue with them. I think that's because they are quiet, stand there in good faith. Us non-believers believe in their right to do that.

I get Jehovah's Witnesses at my door a couple of times a year.

Old 03-03-2016, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
I've never had anyone ask me that. I think Acajack, may be right LOL
Ans we all know how alluring netwit can be!

Old 03-03-2016, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I get Jehovah's Witnesses at my door a couple of times a year.
Not too bad I suppose. I don't live in SFH anymore so I don't get that. We did when I lived in a house, but it didn't really bother me.

Old 03-03-2016, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Ans we all know how alluring netwit can be!

Old 03-03-2016, 02:27 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,326,230 times
Quote:
Sounds like a series of pick-up lines!
I wondered about that!

Old 03-03-2016, 05:13 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,842,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitchenerwaterloo View Post
Yeah like islam. White "Christian" Canada has been in decline for years though. Serious decline. When was the last time you heard about Christianity in the streets of Toronto from a preacher? When was the last time someone tried to convert you? -- this happens all the the time south of the border. I could post video after video of street preachers in the U.S doing this type of thing which you'd never see or hear in Toronro or Vancouver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
that's true. I have never encountered anyone who tried to "convert" me. In the US, it happens naturally. Several times random people asked me to single "oh Jesus" with them. I was totally flabbergasted.

Hmm. I've lived almost 20 years in the US, first in a Midwestern state, and now in the Bible Belt. I've never had anyone approach me to "convert" me. In fact, even here in the buckle of the Bible Belt, I find most people keep their religious beliefs to themselves, for the most part. I'm not a church-goer, and I don't feel the slightest bit out of place. I know lots of other people who aren't either.

But what do I know? I'm sure you guys know know more about this than I.

Old 03-04-2016, 02:26 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,038,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
Hmm. I've lived almost 20 years in the US, first in a Midwestern state, and now in the Bible Belt. I've never had anyone approach me to "convert" me. In fact, even here in the buckle of the Bible Belt, I find most people keep their religious beliefs to themselves, for the most part. I'm not a church-goer, and I don't feel the slightest bit out of place. I know lots of other people who aren't either.

But what do I know? I'm sure you guys know know more about this than I.
I believe you and it doesn't surprise me that religious people don't try to convert you. I wouldn't try to convert you either if I was a religious person bent on making new converts. Have you ever considered that maybe it's that most religious people around where you live simply keep their religious beliefs to themselves when they are talking to YOU. Just because they aren't trying to convert you doesn't mean they aren't approaching and trying to convert other friendlier people who are less argumentative and antagonistic than you are. Really, if your contentious online persona is anything to go by then you are not an approachable person offline and religious people aren't going to try to convert somebody like that. It is approachable and open, easily intimidated or impressionable people that would-be converters are looking for to try to convert to whatever their religion is.

What do you know about it? Not enough, or maybe you just turn a blind eye and pretend it doesn't happen for the sake of controversy. I think that those guys you responded to above DO know a lot more about this than you think they do and I agree with them that it happens a lot since I've had similar experiences every single time I've travelled anywhere visiting in USA. Didn't matter if it was the Bible Belt or not, there's no getting away from it.

If you want evidence of the aggressive attempts at witnessing and conversions that happen in the USA and how many other Americans and visitors resent it then you don't have to leave your house to look for it. All you have to do is read first hand accounts of people complaining about it, and the bullying and then attempts at religious conversion on topics that happens right here on City Data forum.

Try the main R & S forum and all of its subforums and read around a bit with an open and honest mind: http://www.city-data.com/forum/religion-spirituality/

Old 03-04-2016, 03:04 AM

26 posts, read 10,023 times
Yes. I have noticed that certain Americans online try to play down the religious influence in the U.S or attribute it to only a certain area (the south) but the fact of the matter is it's pervasive all through American society. Conversion is an aggressive practice. I do think Moderate Christians and atheists Americans are embarrassed about the degree of dogmatic christinaty in their country so in orde to come across as "normal" to people from other western countries online they try to portray the good old USA as "not that religious at all". Lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada