Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which province is the most corrupt?
Ontario 5 22.73%
Quebec 17 77.27%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2016, 09:13 PM

579 posts, read 664,327 times

Advertisements

On the one hand, the events surrounding Normandeau, Bibeau, Hamad et al proved that Quebec provincial government is highly corrupt, despite currently having highly stringent campaign finance regulations at the provincial level (maximum $100 in political donations) as a result of the Charbonneau Commission.

On the other hand, PLQ's cabinet members' fundraising targets (~$100-150k) pale in comparison to that of the OLP ($500k).

Tasha Kheiriddin: Is Quebec no longer the most corrupt province in Canada? | National Post
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2016, 05:35 AM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,268,346 times
Quebec

Though Ontario is not great either.

Ontario is very poorly run.

Ontario is still a good place to live in spite of being mismanaged for years.

Rae, Harris, McGinty, now Kathleen, all very bad provincial governments.

McGinty imo should have even served some jail time.

Old 04-23-2016, 10:40 AM

15,102 posts, read 15,867,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post
Quebec

Though Ontario is not great either.

Ontario is very poorly run.

Ontario is still a good place to live in spite of being mismanaged for years.

Rae, Harris, McGinty, now Kathleen, all very bad provincial governments.

McGinty imo should have even served some jail time.
To be a bit of a devil's advocate -its always easy to criticize leaders and politicians and what they do. The most common theme in the whole world is to complain about bad governance and politicians regardless of which country or region. I'm not sure its the only problem and that we the people, just aren't privy to the decisions our leaders have to make to make things work at any given time. I also think we the people don't get as involved in politics as we should. We vote and than what, leave it up to them or complain about what they are not doing instead of actually being an ongoing part of it.

Old 04-23-2016, 02:02 PM

I will also play devil's advocate and say that, even if Quebec wasn't the most corrupt province anymore, it still has the best capability to detect corruption.

Old 04-25-2016, 06:36 AM

26,875 posts, read 38,010,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvanung View Post
I will also play devil's advocate and say that, even if Quebec wasn't the most corrupt province anymore, it still has the best capability to detect corruption.
Well, one thing at least that does appear clear is that we have way better investigative reporters in Quebec!

Old 04-25-2016, 07:24 AM

565 posts, read 671,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Well, one thing at least that does appear clear is that we have way better investigative reporters in Quebec!
I was going to say something along the same lines. I really believe it is the case.

Our investigative journalists also have a somewhat easier job, as Quebec is a much smaller haystack where to search for a needle than the rest of Canada.

Old 04-25-2016, 07:39 AM

26,875 posts, read 38,010,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by begratto View Post
I was going to say something along the same lines. I really believe it is the case.

Our investigative journalists also have a somewhat easier job, as Quebec is a much smaller haystack where to search for a needle than the rest of Canada.
The news media here are also way more focused on Quebec news and less distracted by goings-on south of the border like stupid things said by Donald Trump or mass shootings in Ohio, or whatever...

Old 04-25-2016, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by begratto View Post

One would have imagined that Ontario's provincial government would have been ~20-30% larger than Quebec's (in terms of workforce) at most; only the federal government would have represented a much larger haystack than Quebec's government.

And the OPP's Anti-Rackets Unit (which is the closest thing Ontario has to the UPAC) seems to either lack the expertise or the jurisdiction to actually be effective at fighting corruption.

Old 04-25-2016, 03:05 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,397,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I was surprised when I moved to Quebec, I saw a local French paper dedicated to criminal activity in the province. I had never seen anything like it elsewhere.

Old 04-26-2016, 12:12 AM

4,865 posts, read 10,522,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
I was surprised when I moved to Quebec, I saw a local French paper dedicated to criminal activity in the province. I had never seen anything like it elsewhere.
Allo Police? It's since gone bankrupt, I think it's a blog now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada