Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2016, 11:57 AM

43 posts, read 52,548 times

Advertisements

I saw a thread that posed the same question for the state of Michigan in the US subforum and it got me thinking...
what is your perception of Atlantic Canada? Have you ever been? Do you think it is a backwards place with the best behind it? Do you think it has a bright future? Do you think of it at all? Seeing as Atlantic Canada doesn't even have a thread on this forum I'd like to hear some thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2016, 06:45 PM

2,339 posts, read 2,071,109 times
I know very little and I want to know more. Damn right we need an Atlantic section.

Old 09-14-2016, 07:11 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,525,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knoxfordguy View Post
I saw a thread that posed the same question for the state of Michigan in the US subforum and it got me thinking...
what is your perception of Atlantic Canada? Have you ever been? Do you think it is a backwards place with the best behind it? Do you think it has a bright future? Do you think of it at all? Seeing as Atlantic Canada doesn't even have a thread on this forum I'd like to hear some thoughts.
I think Atlantic Canada, the area of the country with some of the oldest European-derived cultures, is an interesting part of the country because it's home to some interesting traditions and is deeply rooted. Backwards is definitely not the stereotype I have, but that it is economically a backwater is. That is, I don't have a stereotype that most people there or the culture is backwards, in fact I've always thought of it as a pretty progressive region of the country. I just see it as a region that isn't an economic centre because it lacks strong cities. As such, I don't think the region has a particularly great future in the medium term with such a large percentage of the population living in dying rural areas, which cost way more per capita to service then large towns and cities, and so many young people having left. But in the long term I think that the population will consolidate in the cities and a balance will be struck, and then its best days will be ahead of it.

Old 09-14-2016, 07:34 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,403,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zortation View Post
I know very little and I want to know more. Damn right we need an Atlantic section.
The Calgary and Edmonton section barely get activity, the Montreal and Vancouver don't really get much activity either. I doubt an Atlantic Canada section would get much attention.

Old 09-14-2016, 07:49 PM

26,876 posts, read 38,026,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workoutqueen View Post
I know nothing about it. I don't care either.
Nice attitude.

Old 09-14-2016, 07:57 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,403,667 times
Yeah, terrible attitude considering Atlantic Canada is easily one of the most culturally interesting places in all of Canada. Unfortunately that attitude towards Atlantic Canada is too common.

Old 09-14-2016, 08:04 PM

26,876 posts, read 38,026,310 times
I feel sadly nostalgic about Atlantic Canada as I was born and spent part of my youth there, both my parents are from there and the majority of my family roots are there.

I am not very optimistic for the future though my hopes are that the region will eventually stabilize around a small number of reasonably dynamic cities. One danger is that most of the rural areas are doing so badly that just keeping them afloat might make the provincial governments drain all the financial resources (and therefore economic viability) out of those few cities that are doing well and have a fighting chance.

Old 09-14-2016, 08:26 PM

I agree that our cities are our future. We have really only passed the 50% urban threshold in the last decade or so.

New Brunswick has an issue with the government trying to commit itself just as equally to the rural areas as the urban ones and I think a greater focus on our cities is what will help us to survive.

Not to mention our defeatist attitude that we have lived with since not long after confederation when we started to lose a lot of our economic power to central Canada.

Old 09-14-2016, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workoutqueen View Post
I know nothing about it. I don't care either.
Awesome

Old 09-14-2016, 09:40 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,487,222 times
Considering that Atlantic Canada was actually the first area of North America "discovered" and settled by someone from over the pond about 500 years ahead of the poser Columbus, I'd say the interest in it should be higher.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada