Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2017, 02:23 PM

4 posts, read 5,506 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I hope this finds you well. I just wanted to see how difficult is it for an American citizen to immigrate to Canada. I just took this little impromptu test and I missed it by 2 points. My number was 65 and it said that if you have 67 points or higher that you could apply to work in Canada.

What could I do to make myself more marketable for Canadian employers?

Sincerely,

kjt1083
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2017, 04:45 PM

525 posts, read 453,835 times
Would it be possible for you to go to school for a higher degree? It would give you more points for education, and if you study in Canada, it would also allow you to apply for a postgraduation work permit, which would help get your foot in the door. Best of luck; I've also been looking into eventually moving to Canada from the US. It doesn't look too easy.

Old 01-25-2017, 04:40 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,288,448 times
Learning French might add to your point totals. Or get a job with a company thats willing to sponsor your immigration.

Old 01-25-2017, 11:47 AM

3,950 posts, read 3,299,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjt1083 View Post
Hello,

I hope this finds you well. I just wanted to see how difficult is it for an American citizen to immigrate to Canada. I just took this little impromptu test and I missed it by 2 points. My number was 65 and it said that if you have 67 points or higher that you could apply to work in Canada.

What could I do to make myself more marketable for Canadian employers?

Sincerely,

kjt1083

Not difficult at all.....for example, recently a girl from Italy just with a high school diploma was sponsored by a fashion shop in Vancouver, her skills were only her work experience in the field and the fact she was speaking Italian (the shops claimed they needed that to deal with purchasing orders from Italy, in reality she never deal with purchasing orders, she just work on the shop floor).

There are cooks, coffee shop and restaurant waiters that have been able to be sponsored in Canada.

Find a company that is willing to sponsor you (first you will get a temporary permit then eventually permanent residence) and you will be good to go.

Old 01-26-2017, 02:07 PM

Thank you for all your replies.

I have a high school diploma and some college. I'm 3 semesters away from a BA degree, but lack of money and no job prospects, I am pretty much stuck. I'm currently in the mountains of TN, and I have tried to relocate, but without a job it's difficult. I have over 15 years as a administrative assistant. I have TESOL certification, but it's not helpful because I do not have a Bachelors degree. Most are seeking people with Bachelor's degree plus the certification.

I do have an Electrocardiogram technician certificate, but not enough experience. So, it's like tug of war kinda thing. A friend in Montreal says I could probably get employment in Canada, I should just come and visit, and look around for sponsorship.

However, I am wondering if I have any marketable skills for the jump into Canada. I am worried. I am not looking for some extravagant I just want to work and have a simple life. Trust me, simple is fine with me. I would be on cloud 9 to have a Honda CR-V a two bedroom apartment.

kjt1083

Old 01-26-2017, 04:45 PM

2,339 posts, read 2,070,632 times
I would say put all your efforts into completing your degree in the US, whatever it takes. Studying here as a foreign student is bloody bloody expensive.

With regards to how easy or hard it is....I guess immigrating here is just like immigrating to any country with a points system. If you have a skill that is in demand the outlook is good.

Old 01-27-2017, 12:00 AM

625 posts, read 1,389,724 times
Americans qualify for the TN visa program through NAFTA (at least for now) for a good number of skilled jobs. I'm not sure how easy it is to translate that into permanent residency, but that is one avenue.

Old 01-30-2017, 01:07 PM

thanks for the info. i do have one more question... let's say i find employment, or someone willing to sponsor me for employment, will the immigration office want them to hire someone from Canada or would they give the employer a difficult time because they are wanting to sponsor someone from America?

Old 01-30-2017, 01:24 PM

5,155 posts, read 4,620,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by docwatson View Post
Americans qualify for the TN visa program through NAFTA (at least for now) for a good number of skilled jobs. I'm not sure how easy it is to translate that into permanent residency, but that is one avenue.
I wouldn't recommend that because if you're not in that profession or work for a job that relocates you, you're out of luck.

I'm an American looking for work to complete her permanent residence application. I have 438 points... I guess that's a different program than the 67 points one?

Old 02-01-2017, 07:31 AM

15,706 posts, read 11,770,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
Not difficult at all.....for example, recently a girl from Italy just with a high school diploma was sponsored by a fashion shop in Vancouver, her skills were only her work experience in the field and the fact she was speaking Italian (the shops claimed they needed that to deal with purchasing orders from Italy, in reality she never deal with purchasing orders, she just work on the shop floor).

There are cooks, coffee shop and restaurant waiters that have been able to be sponsored in Canada.

Find a company that is willing to sponsor you (first you will get a temporary permit then eventually permanent residence) and you will be good to go.
How do you find those kind of jobs that would sponsor you? I find it hard to believe coffee shops and restaurants will sponsor people. I work for a hotel company headquartered in Toronto, and even they won't sponsor me for a work visa, because I'm not upper management.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada