Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2017, 06:21 PM

2,631 posts, read 2,051,515 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubble99 View Post
Can some one translate this to English? I have no idea what Natnasci is talking about at all.

Also his grammar and punctuation is not proper English.
"are"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2017, 08:13 PM

12,970 posts, read 9,659,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
Absolutely right....the US size can support much more "tiering" of market offering.
Absolutely. Still the world largest economy in terms of GDP, and with a huge population, they will and should have more of everything. There is a market for just about every demographics, and businesses will come and they will go. Competition among businesses is fierce and only the strong will survive, and the consumer should benefit.

Old 02-11-2017, 05:56 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,269,032 times
Quote:
I know Canada always had less stores than the US, it always was like that.Just cross the border it is like day and night comparing stores!!! It like comparing big city like New York city to a really small city. Very little retail in Canada I have notice.
Yeah, Jackson, Mississippi has amazing retail. I hear they're going to open another Walmart.

What are you comparing? Vancouver certainly has world class retail for such a small metro area. It's less than 2.5 million. Ditto Toronto. That's only 5 1/2 million. The New York metro area is 20 million.

Canada taxes their upper middle class that shops the upscale retail stores much higher than the US. $200K USD gross pay spends a lot higher than the equivalent CDN. Canadian retail prices are also higher. If you're buying with USD, even with the crashed Canadian dollar, there aren't any deals.

Europe is the same way. Even with the Brexit currency collapse, shopping in London is 1.3x more expensive than shopping in New York. It's even more pronounced in most Euro currency countries. Do you want health care or a bunch of cheap stuff at Walmart? The US picked Walmart. The rest of the first world made a different choice. It's not good or bad, just different.

Old 02-11-2017, 06:51 AM

1,364 posts, read 1,116,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Europe is the same way. Even with the Brexit currency collapse, shopping in London is 1.3x more expensive than shopping in New York. It's even more pronounced in most Euro currency countries. Do you want health care or a bunch of cheap stuff at Walmart? The US picked Walmart. The rest of the first world made a different choice. It's not good or bad, just different.
Sorry, but that seems absurd.

According to numbeo, prices in New York compared to some European cities:

London:
Consumer prices: +20%
Restaurant prices: +10%
Grocery prices: +66%
Rent: +38%

Paris:
Consumer prices: +22%
Restaurant prices: +26%
Grocery prices: +30%
Rent: +132%

Berlin:
Consumer prices: +57%
Restaurant prices: +83%
Grocery prices: +100%
Rent: +275%

I'm aware that these figures from Numbeo are somewhat questionable and not very accurate. But they are certainly not completely wrong and the price differences are huge.

To pretend that consumer prices in the U.S. are at the exchange rate right now cheaper than in the Eurozone is silly.
Clothing at chains like Primark or Kik in Germany are at the current exchange rate distinctly cheaper than at Walmart. And the prices in Germany already contain 19% VAT.
Identical pieces of clothing at H&M cost without the sales tax up to 30% more than in Germany inclusive the 19% VAT. Basically all clothing items that cost €9.99 in Germany cost $12.99 in the U.S. Comparing the net prices: €8.39 vs. $12.99 or in USD $8.95 vs. $12.99. That's whopping 45% more expensive. For the VAT we get nice amenities in return.
It would get even more scary if we would compare prices at DIY stores, groceries or toiletries.

Old 02-11-2017, 02:55 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,728,787 times
Quote:
Can some one translate this to English? I have no idea what Natnasci is talking about at all.

Also his grammar and punctuation is not proper English.
For someone who wrote "less stores", I don't think you are in a position to question her grammar.

It should be "fewer stores" by the way, and I am not even a native speaker. Less is for uncountable nouns. So less stores, less people are just wrong.

Old 02-11-2017, 05:31 PM

1,230 posts, read 993,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
For someone who wrote "less stores", I don't think you are in a position to question her grammar.

It should be "fewer stores" by the way, and I am not even a native speaker. Less is for uncountable nouns. So less stores, less people are just wrong.
Well for some one like me must be from first grade and that poster having PHD in English.

That do memory comprehension recall.

Quote OP I know Canada always had less stores than the US, it always was like that.Just cross the border it is like day and night comparing stores!!! It like comparing big city like New York city to a really small city. Very little retail in Canada I have notice.Quote

Quote Economy of scale and density.Quote
'

Quote I think a lot of US retailers have a tendancy to over-build. I'm in a suburb of the SF Bay area. From home, I could drive to 3 different Macys stores in less than 15 minutes. In 45 minutes, I could probably drive to at least 7 of them.Quote

Quote I think it is because Canada has less of a buy buy buy culture.Quote

Quote As a Canadian it's always surprising just how much retail there is in the U.S. compared to here. Even smaller cities of 100,000 seem to have retail similar to Canadian cities three to four times bigger.Quote

Quote Just look at Syracuse NY (700 k metro?) with Ottawa ON (1.3 million metro), and the retail options are reasonably comparable. In spite of the fact that Ottawa is almost twice as big. Quote

Quote And let's not mention how the various fast food places often seem to be at every single exit on Interstates, even in the rural stretches.Quote

Quote Low population, big landmass - big transportation costs, high taxes and cost of living. I think the selection we do have here is not a wide selection, but stores tend to stock quality over quantity. And people are willing to pay.Quote

Quote I think the point was you don't see as much massive discount/low end stuff in Canada. The infrastructure costs won't support it.Quote

Quote You mean in terms of products of typology of stores??Yes the US has more tiers in retail outlets and restaurants offering.Quote

Quote Absolutely right....the US size can support much more "tiering" of market offering.Quote

========

But what do I know, I'm not even first grade at reading comprehension!!

I guess Mississauga must be filled with stores long the most busiest streets in city!!

Englinton Ave border to border, Hurontario street border to border, Derry road border to border. Other big streets Brintannia road, Winston Churchill, Mississauga road so on, just like old section of Mississauga southend part of the city.

Dundas, Lakeshore, Hurontario south in old section.

And every major street or at least every two or three major street is filled with stores.

I guess there must be many streets filled with stores like this in suburb in Canada!!

Or at least this after the store fronts before the big box stores took over. Yea a long the big streets the big through streets like Brintannia road, Winston Churchill, Mississauga road, Englinton or Derry so on.

I guess there must be handful of stores along Englinton, Hurontario, Derry just alone selling nothing but leather jackets or nothing but boots or nothing but shoes, or a handful of comic stores and antique stores. I guess there is lot of jewelry stores long Englinton and independent hardware stores. Stores selling jeans only, stores selling athletic wear only, store selling hats only so on.

I guess you don't need to shop at malls or outlet stores, just pick main street and drive to see store and drive in and hit 5 to 10 store on one street and other 5 to 10 on other street so on.

I guess the suburbs look like this.

How many Barnes and Noble do you have in Mississauga anyway alone 8 to 10? How many Target stores 10 to 15? How many best buy stores 5 to 10? How many Costco stores 4?

How many small stores where only 1 to 3 staff working at the store?

All you suburbs are like this GTA and suburbs in Canada?

Old 02-11-2017, 09:18 PM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,275,727 times
Quote:
Well for some one like me must be from first grade and that poster having PHD in English.

That do memory comprehension recall.

Quote OP I know Canada always had less stores than the US, it always was like that.Just cross the border it is like day and night comparing stores!!! It like comparing big city like New York city to a really small city. Very little retail in Canada I have notice.Quote

Quote Economy of scale and density.Quote
'

Quote I think a lot of US retailers have a tendancy to over-build. I'm in a suburb of the SF Bay area. From home, I could drive to 3 different Macys stores in less than 15 minutes. In 45 minutes, I could probably drive to at least 7 of them.Quote

Quote I think it is because Canada has less of a buy buy buy culture.Quote

Quote As a Canadian it's always surprising just how much retail there is in the U.S. compared to here. Even smaller cities of 100,000 seem to have retail similar to Canadian cities three to four times bigger.Quote

Quote Just look at Syracuse NY (700 k metro?) with Ottawa ON (1.3 million metro), and the retail options are reasonably comparable. In spite of the fact that Ottawa is almost twice as big. Quote

Quote And let's not mention how the various fast food places often seem to be at every single exit on Interstates, even in the rural stretches.Quote

Quote Low population, big landmass - big transportation costs, high taxes and cost of living. I think the selection we do have here is not a wide selection, but stores tend to stock quality over quantity. And people are willing to pay.Quote

Quote I think the point was you don't see as much massive discount/low end stuff in Canada. The infrastructure costs won't support it.Quote

Quote You mean in terms of products of typology of stores??Yes the US has more tiers in retail outlets and restaurants offering.Quote

Quote Absolutely right....the US size can support much more "tiering" of market offering.Quote

========

But what do I know, I'm not even first grade at reading comprehension!!

I guess Mississauga must be filled with stores long the most busiest streets in city!!

Englinton Ave border to border, Hurontario street border to border, Derry road border to border. Other big streets Brintannia road, Winston Churchill, Mississauga road so on, just like old section of Mississauga southend part of the city.

Dundas, Lakeshore, Hurontario south in old section.

And every major street or at least every two or three major street is filled with stores.

I guess there must be many streets filled with stores like this in suburb in Canada!!

Or at least this after the store fronts before the big box stores took over. Yea a long the big streets the big through streets like Brintannia road, Winston Churchill, Mississauga road, Englinton or Derry so on.

I guess there must be handful of stores along Englinton, Hurontario, Derry just alone selling nothing but leather jackets or nothing but boots or nothing but shoes, or a handful of comic stores and antique stores. I guess there is lot of jewelry stores long Englinton and independent hardware stores. Stores selling jeans only, stores selling athletic wear only, store selling hats only so on.

I guess you don't need to shop at malls or outlet stores, just pick main street and drive to see store and drive in and hit 5 to 10 store on one street and other 5 to 10 on other street so on.

I guess the suburbs look like this.

How many Barnes and Noble do you have in Mississauga anyway alone 8 to 10? How many Target stores 10 to 15? How many best buy stores 5 to 10? How many Costco stores 4?

How many small stores where only 1 to 3 staff working at the store?

All you suburbs are like this GTA and suburbs in Canada?
Nice pics. Too Mississauga doesn't have mountains along with fewer stores.

Barnes and Noble....no that would be have Chapters instead.

Target ...again none...they left Canada after only one year, they figured Canadian market
is not good for retail, just like you're suggesting.

We have Canadian Tire and lots of Tim Hortons everywhere though.

Costco is popular, their parking lots always seem to be full, I noticed.

Home Depot too, Lowes is expanding in Canada, which is good,
I prefer them to Home Depot.

And yes those streets you mentioned have a lot of retail, I guess you've been checking
them on google street view.

Small shops with 1 to 3 staff? ....check out Lakeshore Rd in "downtown" Oakville,
or Queen St. in Streetsville area of Mississauga.

Old 02-12-2017, 05:00 AM

1,364 posts, read 1,116,324 times
That the U.S. has more retail stores than Canada isn't surprising.

Household final consumption expenditures as a % of GDP:

1967 / 2015 / Net international investment position

Netherlands: xxx% / 44.6% / +63.9%
Denmark: 59.6% / 48.0% / +39.0%
Korea: 77.2% / 49.3% / +14.4%
Canada: 57.6% / 57.5% / +6.9%
Germany: xxx% / 53.9% / +48.7%
Switzerland: 58.1% / 53.9% / +119.6%
Finland: 60.6% / 54.9% / +0.6%
France: xxx% / 55.1% / -16.4%
Japan: xxx% / 56.6% / +74.8%
Italy: 59.4% / 61.0% / -23.6%
United Kingdom: 62.0% / 65.1% / -14.4%
Portugal: xxx% / 65.9% / -109.3%
Mexico: 75.4% / 67.1% / -33.3%
United States: 58.9% / 68.1% / -41.6%
Greece: 71.9% / 69.9% / -134.6%

The overconsumption in the U.S. led to an enormous pile of debt. Similar for countries like Mexico, Portugal or Greece. Whereas Canada consumes a lot less but is therefore basically debt free. Net position for the country (assets - debt).

Not surprising that the infrastructure in the U.S. leave much to be desired. When an ever-growing part of the economic output is consumed. Most other developed countries have reduced it's consumption (in relation to the GDP).

From what I hear I don't have the impression that Canadian households have a lack of consumer goods.

I'm not sure whether those figures are really comparable but they seem to confirm the perception of most people.

Old 02-12-2017, 06:40 AM

2,631 posts, read 2,051,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukas1973 View Post
That the U.S. has more retail stores than Canada isn't surprising.

Household final consumption expenditures as a % of GDP:

1967 / 2015 / Net international investment position

Netherlands: xxx% / 44.6% / +63.9%
Denmark: 59.6% / 48.0% / +39.0%
Korea: 77.2% / 49.3% / +14.4%
Canada: 57.6% / 57.5% / +6.9%
Germany: xxx% / 53.9% / +48.7%
Switzerland: 58.1% / 53.9% / +119.6%
Finland: 60.6% / 54.9% / +0.6%
France: xxx% / 55.1% / -16.4%
Japan: xxx% / 56.6% / +74.8%
Italy: 59.4% / 61.0% / -23.6%
United Kingdom: 62.0% / 65.1% / -14.4%
Portugal: xxx% / 65.9% / -109.3%
Mexico: 75.4% / 67.1% / -33.3%
United States: 58.9% / 68.1% / -41.6%
Greece: 71.9% / 69.9% / -134.6%

The overconsumption in the U.S. led to an enormous pile of debt. Similar for countries like Mexico, Portugal or Greece. Whereas Canada consumes a lot less but is therefore basically debt free. Net position for the country (assets - debt).

Not surprising that the infrastructure in the U.S. leave much to be desired. When an ever-growing part of the economic output is consumed. Most other developed countries have reduced it's consumption (in relation to the GDP).

From what I hear I don't have the impression that Canadian households have a lack of consumer goods.

I'm not sure whether those figures are really comparable but they seem to confirm the perception of most people.
https://data.oecd.org/hha/household-debt.htm

You might want to reconsider your position. Canadians and many Europeans have more personal debt relative to their incomes than Americans, by a fairly wide margin. Canadians are very aggressive consumers and are buried in personal debt. Since the recession, Americans have become better savers than before even if the entire population is not participating in the saver mentality. The figures you posted do not only represent trips to the mall to buy clothes and electronics, they also include things like healthcare expenses and insurance, which are certainly more expensive in the US.

Old 02-12-2017, 07:11 AM

428 posts, read 451,083 times
America is a wealthier country than Canada, and people there have much more disposable income. It's the same reason why cities like Quebec City don't have NHL teams, while a tropical American city of 300k like Tampa has one.

We pay more money and get less because of our overreaching protectionist government, a culture that stifles innovation and most of all the lack of competition. They all interconnect. Anyone remember when Verizon tried to come to Canada? We more or less threw out the economics 101 book and decided to continue being ripped off by Bell and Telus, rather than allow another competitor on the market.

If it was all about vast distances, then most places in the western U.S. like Seattle which are very isolated from the rest of the US would be as difficult to scrape by for the common person as Canada is. Distances play a role but the role is nothing decisive as some make it seem. As long as we continue to value witchunts for misgonysts over helping create opportunities for real-life Canadian workers we will continue to get ripped off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada