Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2017, 12:47 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,924,631 times

Advertisements

I'm considering retiring to Canada. I've wanted to for a long time but an incident at my pharmacy made me wonder whether the sooner I get out of the US the better it might be for me.

I've been taking Klonopin 1 mg for 17 years, no problems, one a day, no early refills, using it exactly as prescribed for myoclonus. Because of an unusual situation in my life that was disturbing my sleep my doctor prescribed a different 1-time 15 tabs very mild dose benzo for sleep while my wife is away. The pharmacist refused to fill the Klonopin until the other benzo runs out even though they are for different things.

This made me think that the US/FDA/DEA is rapidly becoming a police state which I'd like to escape before it really gets out of hand here if it hasn't already. I've always loved British Columbia and would love to move up there. Is the government body regulating drugs in Canada especially Schedule ones as draconian as the FDA has become? I'm not a drug user. I'm 67 and I take what medicines the Dr's prescribe exactly as directed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2017, 01:05 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,328,351 times
The trouble is your age wouldn't qualify you to come here more than six months a year. I think there is an investment class but I don't remember how much it is. But given what I remember from your other post in the Europe section, I think Canada is out for you.

There is a link to the points part on the immigration sticky. Try that and see how many qualifying points you get.

ETA: here is the link http://www.workpermit.com/immigratio...nts-calculator

Last edited by netwit; 10-10-2017 at 01:32 PM..

Old 10-10-2017, 02:49 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,924,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
The trouble is your age wouldn't qualify you to come here more than six months a year. I think there is an investment class but I don't remember how much it is. But given what I remember from your other post in the Europe section, I think Canada is out for you.

There is a link to the points part on the immigration sticky. Try that and see how many qualifying points you get.

ETA: here is the link Canadian Immigration Points Calculator | Workpermit.com
I don't get it. I took the test and answered everything correctly but they still said congrats you could be a skilled worker. But I'm retired. Something must have gone wrong with the calculator.

Old 10-10-2017, 03:37 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,043,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
I'm considering retiring to Canada. I've wanted to for a long time but an incident at my pharmacy made me wonder whether the sooner I get out of the US the better it might be for me.

I've been taking Klonopin 1 mg for 17 years, no problems, one a day, no early refills, using it exactly as prescribed for myoclonus. Because of an unusual situation in my life that was disturbing my sleep my doctor prescribed a different 1-time 15 tabs very mild dose benzo for sleep while my wife is away. The pharmacist refused to fill the Klonopin until the other benzo runs out even though they are for different things.

This made me think that the US/FDA/DEA is rapidly becoming a police state which I'd like to escape before it really gets out of hand here if it hasn't already. I've always loved British Columbia and would love to move up there. Is the government body regulating drugs in Canada especially Schedule ones as draconian as the FDA has become? I'm not a drug user. I'm 67 and I take what medicines the Dr's prescribe exactly as directed.

You need to do your research about Klonopin and benzodiazepine. Klonopin is a type of benzo, it's in the benzodiazepine class of pharmaceuticals, and your pharmacist knows that you'd be doubling up on your medications if you take both prescriptions. To take both together could result in some drastic side effects or even death and the pharmacist knows that. He's looking out for your own best interests as well as his own professional best interests. You should clarify this with an explicit explanation from your doctor and then if necessary get the doctor to communicate and authorize it with your pharmacist if the doctor wants you to take both prescriptions together.

It isn't the United States FDA/DEA that decide on the regulations about medical prescriptions. Its the American Pharmacists Association in conjunction with the American Medical Association that determine what kinds of pharmaceuticals are safe for patients to take together in combinations or doubled up. It's the same deal here in Canada (Canadian Pharmacists Associations and Canadian Medical Association) and if you'd been getting your prescriptions filled here in Canada the Canadian pharmacist would likely have made the same refusal that your own pharmacist did without more explicit authorization from your doctor.

I think due to your senior age and with your medical condition you would probably not qualify for permanent residency or immigrant citizen status to Canada. The best you could do is come and visit for 6 months a year.

Old 10-10-2017, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
I don't get it. I took the test and answered everything correctly but they still said congrats you could be a skilled worker. But I'm retired. Something must have gone wrong with the calculator.
Try this one on a government website. It's the same questions but more specific. Please note that there is a difference in the questions between having educational or work experience and having CANADIAN educational or work experience.

I didn't see anything on the first test about retirees. The test seems to be assuming you would be moving for work. And that would be why you passed, imo. I don't know what questions this particular test has but it is more specific in differentiating between Canadian experience and non-Canadian experience. And if it isn't asking you about retirement, I would assume it is because retirees are out of the running. Whatever your work or education has been before you retired wouldn't count in the points system because you wouldn't be contributing those skills to society.

Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) tool: skilled immigrants (Express Entry)

Old 10-10-2017, 05:41 PM

And we have a pharmacist, Bimbim, who posts on this forum, but I seriously doubt drugs are easier to get here than in the US.

Old 10-10-2017, 07:21 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,528,229 times
Quote:
And we have a pharmacist, Bimbim, who posts on this forum, but I seriously doubt drugs are easier to get here than in the US.
My ears were burning. Yes, OP was not denied his prescription because of the US DEA or the FDA. His pharmacist made a professional judgement call that the medication was not safe for him to take, or the information he had available to him at that moment was not sufficient for him to feel comfortable releasing the medication in good conscience. He absolutely had the right to refuse to dispense any medication, and pharmacists generally do not exercise that right without a good reason. The same situation could have happened in Canada, or any country with a professionally overseen drug distribution system (and these are generally the countries you would want to live in).

Old 10-10-2017, 07:23 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,528,229 times
Quote:
My ears were burning. Yes, OP was not denied his prescription because of the US DEA or the FDA. His pharmacist made a professional judgement call that the medication was not safe for him to take, or the information he had available to him at that moment was not sufficient for him to feel comfortable releasing that medication in good conscience. He absolutely had the right to refuse to dispense any medication, and pharmacists generally do not exercise that right without a good reason. The same situation could have happened in Canada, or any country with a professionally overseen drug distribution system (and these are generally the countries you would want to live in). Benzos are no joke, perhaps a conversation with the pharmacist would have been in order to come to a better understanding of why they did what they did.

Old 10-10-2017, 07:44 PM

Old 10-10-2017, 08:08 PM

2,894 posts, read 2,144,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
You need to do your research about Klonopin and benzodiazepine. Klonopin is a type of benzo, it's in the benzodiazepine class of pharmaceuticals, and your pharmacist knows that you'd be doubling up on your medications if you take both prescriptions. To take both together could result in some drastic side effects or even death and the pharmacist knows that. He's looking out for your own best interests as well as his own professional best interests. You should clarify this with an explicit explanation from your doctor and then if necessary get the doctor to communicate and authorize it with your pharmacist if the doctor wants you to take both prescriptions together.

It isn't the United States FDA/DEA that decide on the regulations about medical prescriptions. Its the American Pharmacists Association in conjunction with the American Medical Association that determine what kinds of pharmaceuticals are safe for patients to take together in combinations or doubled up. It's the same deal here in Canada (Canadian Pharmacists Associations and Canadian Medical Association) and if you'd been getting your prescriptions filled here in Canada the Canadian pharmacist would likely have made the same refusal that your own pharmacist did without more explicit authorization from your doctor.

I think due to your senior age and with your medical condition you would probably not qualify for permanent residency or immigrant citizen status to Canada. The best you could do is come and visit for 6 months a year.

APhA does no such thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada