Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2016, 08:32 AM

2,411 posts, read 1,976,514 times

Advertisements

Thank you so much to all Canadian service people, living and deceased. I will never forget.

Dad died in Ottawa (after residing briefly at the Perley) 4 years ago today at the age of 95. He was a British Navy veteran but became a Canadian citizen in the 1950s. No matter where I am, I wear a poppy today each year. Je me souviens.

In Flander's Fields by John McCrae -

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2016, 10:18 AM

126,280 posts, read 19,057,756 times
I am very sorry Aery11 about your father. He and all the Veterans and soldiers of today are heroes. I like to thank all the men and women who served and serve in our Canadian military. I am aware for all the sacrifices you made and make for us to live the good life we do. You will never be forgotten. May God bless and protect you all.Je n'oublierai jamais.

“Silently, one by one, in the infinite meadows of heaven,
Blossomed the lovely stars, the forget-me-nots of the angels.”
― Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, Evangeline: A Tale of Acadie

Old 11-12-2016, 06:09 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,323,443 times
My Dad was also a British Navy vet, he immigrated to Florida back in 1958 and lived a very successful life , he passed away Thursday night .
Godspeed Dad.
http://www.madaboutflags.co.uk/ekmps...--103278-p.png

Old 11-12-2016, 07:51 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,497,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
My Dad was also a British Navy vet, he immigrated to Florida back in 1958 and lived a very successful life , he passed away Thursday night .
Godspeed Dad.
Jambo; very sorry to hear of your father's passing. The world has lost one more of a generation of people who were determined to make it a better place and were prepared to wager the maximum to do so.

Old 11-12-2016, 02:41 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,564,431 times
Quote:
Godspeed Dad.
Just read this. Sorry to hear. Condolences .

Old 11-12-2016, 02:43 PM

126,280 posts, read 19,057,756 times
Quote:
Godspeed Dad.
I am so sorry to read this jambo101.

Old 11-12-2016, 02:44 PM

1,433 posts, read 1,510,610 times
My late father fought with the Polish Free Forces in WWII.

May he RIP, and I thank him, among all the other brave people who fought during the wars that we have had and will see.

There's a special place on the other side for them.

Old 11-12-2016, 02:45 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,564,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Jambo; very sorry to hear of your father's passing. The world has lost one more of a generation of people who were determined to make it a better place and were prepared to wager the maximum to do so.
My group of pub buddies were talking about this. We are part of the last generation that actually knew people who fought in the Second World War, and the First World War in which my great uncles fought in.

On a positive note, one friend who is an elementary school teacher said that they still teach the kids what Remembrance Day is all about, plus they still have a special assembly where the kids pay honour to the veterans.

I was kind of struck by this. I was under the impression people were forgetting.

Old 11-12-2016, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aery11 View Post
Thank you so much to all Canadian service people, living and deceased. I will never forget.

Dad died in Ottawa (after residing briefly at the Perley) 4 years ago today at the age of 95. He was a British Navy veteran but became a Canadian citizen in the 1950s. No matter where I am, I wear a poppy today each year. Je me souviens.

In Flander's Fields by John McCrae -

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.
I am very sad to hear about your father passing away at this time four years ago. Bless his heart.

Old 11-12-2016, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Godspeed Dad.
(((Jambo))) I am so sorry to hear that your father has passed over. Please accept my sincere condolences to you and to your family.

I know that there is little I can say to relieve your pain...but I do believe that he is in good company on the other side.

It's hard to lose a parent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada