Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2018, 05:32 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,815,512 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Interestingly enough, Billie Mae Richards' daughter Judi moved from Toronto to Montreal 40 or so years ago, became a singer and married legendary Quebec comic Yvon Deschamps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5YW1fj63t8

She's a household name in Quebec but no one has heard of her mother, and that Rudolph Christmas special is largely unknown here.
“Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer” is “largely unknown” in Quebec? How sad. Maybe because it was released in 1964, when there was rising separatist sentiment?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2018, 07:14 AM

565 posts, read 672,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
“Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer” is “largely unknown” in Quebec? How sad. Maybe because it was released in 1964, when there was rising separatist sentiment?
I don't think this has anything to do with it. We just have different cultural references.

A Christmas-period classic here in Quebec is to watch Cine-Cadeau ("Cine-Gift") on Télé-Québec on the days leading to Christmas and during the Holidays, where they show one "classic" movie per day.

This might include the movies Acajack referenced to on a previous post, a lot of Asterix , Lucky Luke and Tintin movies, with a sprinkle of American movies like Kung Fu Panda, Madagascar the Christmas movie, and some Quebec movies lies La guerre des tuques, Le coq de St-Victor, Ballerina, etc. Every year, my kids look forward to the day when Télé-Québec releases the Ciné-cadeau schedule.

Old 11-29-2018, 02:07 PM

17,210 posts, read 15,412,961 times
It's not "largely unknown" in Quebec. Where is this coming from? "Le P'tit renne au nez rouge!" Come on, we even sang the song in elementary school.

Old 11-29-2018, 02:18 PM

565 posts, read 672,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
It's not "largely unknown" in Quebec. Where is this coming from? "Le P'tit renne au nez rouge!" Come on, we even sang the song in elementary school.
The song, yes, in its French version, but the TV special is indeed "largely unknown" in Quebec. I don't think it ever appeared on TV.

Old 11-29-2018, 05:19 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,047,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by begratto View Post
I don't think this has anything to do with it. We just have different cultural references.

A Christmas-period classic here in Quebec is to watch Cine-Cadeau ("Cine-Gift") on Télé-Québec on the days leading to Christmas and during the Holidays, where they show one "classic" movie per day.

This might include the movies Acajack referenced to on a previous post, a lot of Asterix , Lucky Luke and Tintin movies, with a sprinkle of American movies like Kung Fu Panda, Madagascar the Christmas movie, and some Quebec movies lies La guerre des tuques, Le coq de St-Victor, Ballerina, etc. Every year, my kids look forward to the day when Télé-Québec releases the Ciné-cadeau schedule.
Yeah, it's such a shame that Anglo North America is missing out on the awesomeness of Ciné-Cadeau.

I mean who could forget Obélix singing Quand l'appétit va tout va, or the famous line "La guerre, la guerre, c'est pas une raison de se faire mal!".

So sad for them... missing out.

Old 11-30-2018, 11:46 AM

17,210 posts, read 15,412,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by begratto View Post
The song, yes, in its French version, but the TV special is indeed "largely unknown" in Quebec. I don't think it ever appeared on TV.
I watched it every year as a kid growing up. Although I do think it was in English... Not sure. But I remember cozying up in our basement by the fireplace and watching it.

Old 11-30-2018, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
I watched it every year as a kid growing up. Although I do think it was in English... Not sure. But I remember cozying up in our basement by the fireplace and watching it.
I totally believe you but that's a reflection of your "anglo" side.

Similarly, some Franco-Ontarian kids in Eastern Ontario may watch Ciné-Cadeau and stuff like La Guerre des Tuques, but that's not indicative of that stuff being well known in Ontario or anywhere outside Quebec for that matter.

These are just exceptions that confirm the rule.

Old 11-30-2018, 01:18 PM

Coincidentally, Judi Richards the daughter of Billie Mae Richards referenced above and the voice of Rudolph in that special, was on *that* talk show last Sunday night with her husband and daughters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbzYUFXFydY

One of Billie Mae Richards' granddaughters was also a contestant on this talent show a few years ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oG766kTIW-4

Old 11-30-2018, 02:24 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,564,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Yeah, it's such a shame that Anglo North America is missing out on the awesomeness of Ciné-Cadeau.

I mean who could forget Obélix singing Quand l'appétit va tout va, or the famous line "La guerre, la guerre, c'est pas une raison de se faire mal!".

So sad for them... missing out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNLPyTvCkyo

Old 11-30-2018, 04:28 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,409,857 times
I rather watch the "bleu nuit" Christmas classics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada