Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2018, 12:58 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,813,278 times

Advertisements

Was it once common to find “The Little Rascals”, “The Andy Griffith Show”, “Gilligan’s Island”, “I Love Lucy”, “Gunsmoke”, and other shows like that on Canadian TV, even in Quebec?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2018, 02:47 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,043,276 times
Yes, totally common for all of those for the past 50 or 60 years or whatever. From the time they were first produced onwards. Many of them are still commonly viewable today as reruns just as in the states. In Canada we get both Canadian and American station broadcasts on TV.

Don't forget Beverly Hillbillies, Wagon Train, Perry Mason, Rifleman, Bonanza, Green Acres, Leave it to Beaver, Father Knows Best, Dragnet, Lassie, Alfred Hitchcock show, Paladin, Twilight Zone, Outer Limits, Batman, The Big Valley, 77 Sunset Strip, Route 66, Daniel Boone, Death Valley Days, etc., etc. - we got them and more.

Old 01-12-2018, 02:55 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,040,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Yes, totally common for all of those for the past 50 or 60 years or whatever. From the time they were first produced onwards. Many of them are still commonly viewable today as reruns just as in the states. In Canada we get both Canadian and American station broadcasts on TV.

Don't forget Beverly Hillbillies, Wagon Train, Perry Mason, Rifleman, Bonanza, Green Acres, Leave it to Beaver, Father Knows Best, Dragnet, Lassie, Alfred Hitchcock show, Twilight Zone, Outer Limits, Batman, The Big Valley, 77 Sunset Strip, Route 66, Daniel Boone, Death Valley Days, etc., etc. - we got them and more.

Yeah, I'd even say that back then in the early decades of television you'd have an even more comprehensive availability of American programming given that Canadian TV was quite slow getting out of the gate. So American shows were what filled up most of the airtime. (Some people say that that conditioning of Canadian viewers is one of the reasons that Canadian TV often has so much trouble attracting viewers today.)

By the time the 70s and 80s rolled around there was more Canadian TV and especially more broadcast regulation, and so my sense is that there started to be more U.S. stuff Canadians might not have been exposed to. (But there was still a huge amount shown here.) The U.S. TV scene exploded with new networks and specialty channels and in Canada things moved more slowly and there were restrictions to protect Canadian TV properties. For example - Canada never got MTV, or at least for a very long time (think decades). Though Canada's music network MuchMusic did show MTV programs, they didn't show everything.

And now in the age of the Internet, basically everything is available anywhere to anyone.

Old 01-12-2018, 02:59 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,040,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Was it once common to find “The Little Rascals”, “The Andy Griffith Show”, “Gilligan’s Island”, “I Love Lucy”, “Gunsmoke”, and other shows like that on Canadian TV, even in Quebec?
In Quebec from what I recall of reruns from this era in the 70s, it was hit and miss. Of that list I only recall seeing Gilligan's Island and Gunsmoke in French.

Now, all of these American shows were available in the original English in Quebec too, as both the CBC Montreal station and the CTV Montreal station had repeaters all over the province. But most people did not watch very much due to the language barrier or even out of a lack of interest - contrary to Anglo-Canadian TV, original French language TV in Quebec was very quick out of the gate and became instantly popular. So that's what people in Quebec primarily watched - and have ever since really.

Old 01-12-2018, 05:55 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,560,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Eventually. Here in Vancouver before Cablevision, back in the early 1960's we only had 2 channels. They didn't carry any of those shows as far as I remember. The only way we could see some, but not all, was to have a TV antenna where you could get KVOS a joint US/Canadian station in Bellingham.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KVOS-TV

After Cablevision came, we had all US stations that people in Seattle etc had. Even the same commercials.

Old 01-12-2018, 05:56 PM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,275,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
In Quebec from what I recall of reruns from this era in the 70s, it was hit and miss. Of that list I only recall seeing Gilligan's Island and Gunsmoke in French.

Now, all of these American shows were available in the original English in Quebec too, as both the CBC Montreal station and the CTV Montreal station had repeaters all over the province. But most people did not watch very much due to the language barrier or even out of a lack of interest - contrary to Anglo-Canadian TV, original French language TV in Quebec was very quick out of the gate and became instantly popular. So that's what people in Quebec primarily watched - and have ever since really.
When I lived in Montreal I remember a few old US shows I watched in french....

Ma Sorciere Bien Aimee .....Bewitched

Tes Filles, Mes Garcons......The Brady Bunch

Patrouille de Cosmos......Star Trek

Jinny .....I Dream of Jeannie

Croisiere S’amuse......Love boat

Ile Fantastique ....Fantasy Island

Watching American shows in french was a good way to learn french,
I already knew the shows well and the dubbed french was very clearly spoken.

Old 01-12-2018, 06:39 PM

7,681 posts, read 5,530,949 times
The advent of cable TV made American channels more accessable. However, before that, if you were fairly close to the U.S. border, you could pick up American TV channel signals with a roof antenna.

I remember KCND in Pembina, North Dakota whose target market was Winnipeg, Manitoba:

Quote:
Startup preparations for the station began in March 1959, at an estimated cost of $150,000 according to Community Radio Corporation partner Robert Lukkason. The station was initially expected to be a semi-satellite of KNOX-TV in Grand Forks (now defunct), but would have its own studios.

KCND's original construction permit was based on plans to operate from a 310-foot (94-metre) tower with a power of 21,000 watts. However, this plan changed and one of the tallest broadcast towers in North America was constructed—1,450 feet—100 feet short of the height of the Empire State Building in New York City. The tower was located seven miles west of Pembina and less than a half-mile south of the Canada/U.S. border. The station initially operated at a power of 220,000 watts, later increasing power to 288,000 watts.

According to the 1960 U.S. census, the population of Pembina the year KCND went on the air was a mere 625 people, making Pembina one of the smallest non-suburban municipalities in the U.S. to have its own TV station.

KCND operated as a semi-independent station. It was affiliated with both NBC and ABC for periods, but was not compensated by the networks due to the station's insignificant U.S. audience and thus never showed all of either network's schedule.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/KCND...embina_station

Bad weather sometimes made reception iffy.

As far as Canadian channels were concerned, they would usually pay to broadcast some of the popular shows from ABC, CBS, and NBC.

Old 01-13-2018, 02:35 AM

5,869 posts, read 4,211,939 times
Historically (60s through 80s), Canada had two TV networks, CTV and CBC. Only a few shows, mostly public affairs and variety, were actually produced in Canada. The rest of the prime time schedule was the top network shows from the three (then) USA networks, which the Canadian networks purchased the rights to air. Most aired on different nights, sometimes before in the USA, which as I recall was the case with Bonanza. But Canada didn't transmit in color until about 1972, about a decade after US color transmission.

When US networks went to summer reruns, the CBC aired episodes of the popular British shows, instead of repeating American snows.

Besides Pembina, there was also al TV station in Bellingham, Washington, aimed at Vancouver, and one in Poland Spring, Maine, that could be received in Quebec City but the Poland Spring station was also a prime network carrier for the Portland Bangor markets.

Old 01-13-2018, 04:44 AM

3,625 posts, read 3,412,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
The advent of cable TV made American channels more accessable. However, before that, if you were fairly close to the U.S. border, you could pick up American TV channel signals with a roof antenna.
Bingo. As a child in Toronto, I recall that we got six channels with rabbit ears:

CBC Toronto, channel 6 (later 5)
CTV Toronto, channel 9
CHCH, independent, Hamilton, channel 11
ABC, Buffalo, channel 7
NBC, Buffalo, channel 2
CBS. Buffalo, channel 4

We could get many more with cable, but my Dad refused to subscribe, because with his directional antenna, he could pull in Toronto Argos games (blacked out in Toronto) from Peterborough. The best we could manage was a UHF antenna that brought in PBS Buffalo (channel 17), Channel 19 (which tried to make us into good Ontarians), Channel 29 (Buffalo), which showed cheesy monster movies Sunday afternoons, and Channel 79 (Toronto), which showed Baby Blue Movies Friday nights at midnight. The movies were indeed blue--if showing a bare boob was blue.

Now? I've got 570 channels, and there's nothing on.

Last edited by ChevySpoons; 01-13-2018 at 05:08 AM..

Old 01-13-2018, 06:09 AM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,275,727 times
Right about 570 channels and nothing on.

Montreal close enough to the US border to pull in
WCAX channel 3 Burlington, VT CBS
WPTZ channel 5 Plattsburgh, NY NBC

ABC was tougher to get ...received on UHF channel 22
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada