Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2018, 05:28 AM

20 posts, read 32,376 times

Advertisements

I plan to be around New England this week in my old car. I would really like to cross southern Ontario on the way back to the US Midwest instead of using interstates 80 and 90 again. It would be my first land border crossing.

The purpose of my road trip is to bring my mother to my house in Illinois later in the week, but I would like to surprise her with a quick Canadian trip (Niagara Falls +Toronto), then drive to Detroit to breeze home.. She knows I am a big North America, geography, and history buff. Entering Canada is not neccessary but I would like to spend a day or two there.

I have a large subwoofer box/enclosure and wonder if that would give me difficulties crossing into Canada, and also getting back home (US Border Patrol/Customs). My mother also has a United States passport that shows her "'region'+MEXICO" as place of birth. Dunno if that will influence Canadian authorities.

Sound system has been in the car for +12 years for sound quality, and I only crank the volume up in the highways, another reason why I like to travel in this car. I am a shy person who does not like unwanted attention. Quick Google did not yield much results of people crossing borders with sub woofer boxes. But I can not imaging kids in modified v6 camaros or mustangs, or riced out civics being denied entry. But who knows.

Would rather be turned away + denied entry into Canada so I can just go back the way I came into the region. As opposed to being allowed into Canada, and then be hassled by US authorities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2018, 09:39 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,016,027 times
Personally I wouldn't attempt it. I'd be concerned about customs inspectors insisting to open it up and take the whole thing apart to look for hidden contraband and then causing damage to it.

Old 03-18-2018, 10:35 PM

3,624 posts, read 3,405,054 times
A valid US passport will not be a concern to Canadian authorities. The bearer's place of birth won't matter, as long as it's a valid US passport. Have both passports ready and present them when you pull up to the Canadian customs booth.

As for the sound system--it's a crapshoot. They don't typically x-ray personal vehicles, and if you don't raise any red flags, you could get through with only a few questions: What's the purpose of your visit? (We want to visit Niagara Falls and Toronto, before heading down to Detroit, and crossing back into the US.) How long will you be in Canada? (Three days, tops.) Got any criminal convictions in the US? (Always tell the truth here--Canada Customs can check with US authorities immediately, and if you have any, you won't get in.) Do you have any firearms, pepper spray, or similar? (Be honest here too--not declaring offensive weapons will result in arrest, forfeiture of weapons, and a court date in a Canadian court.) What do you plan to do in Toronto? (Just want to see the city--maybe catch a Blue Jays game, or visit the Hockey Hall of Fame.) Okay, thanks, enjoy your stay.

But if you raise any red flags--smell of marijuana, open alcohol container, 9mm shell casings on the floor of the back seat--prepare to be pulled over into secondary, where they just might look further, and could go so far as to destroying your sound system, if they suspect you've hidden drugs (for example) in it. Heck, even if there are no red flags, you just might win the "Every Fiftieth Car Gets Inspected Regardless" sweepstakes.

I cannot speak to US authorities at Detroit, but I do know that as Americans, you and your Mom have the right of return, so you'll get through there. But you have no right of entry into Canada--give the Canadians every reason to believe that you'll be a law-abiding tourist during your stay, and you'll get through the border just fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada