Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2018, 09:01 AM

18,472 posts, read 15,262,903 times

Advertisements

In a few days I am taking my family to Mont Tremblant for a week, so far consisting of 4 days of skiing and 1 day of dog sledding.

I was hoping to get some recommendations of other things to do in the area, as well as some restaurant recommendations.

We will be flying into Montreal, and we will probably spend the better part of that day there, so recommendations there would be appreciated as well.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2018, 09:23 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,502,847 times
It depends very heavily upon what you mean by flying in and spending that day in Montreal. That alone can burn through daylight hours contingent upon your flight time into Dorval and where you're staying, if at all, in the city.

If however you're merely passing through by taxiing into Montreal from Dorval to pick up arranged transport to your hotel at Mt Tremblant later in the day.......well, you understand that doesn't leave you much time to even taste the cultural experience of Montreal.

The city is literally chock-a-block with restaurants of all cuisines and one could very easily recommend a street rather than a particular restaurant as there are
sections like Place Jacques Cartier and streets like St. Denis and Rue St. Charles as two examples that you could walk for blocks and not see the same cuisine twice. stopping into a corner Depanneur store to pick a bottle or two of wine you favour to then present it to the welcoming staff of the restaurant who will then serve it with all of the flourish of any 5 star restaurant is just one of those little experiences that have stayed in my memory banks.

Old Montreal is like no other, (except Quebec City) and one, if looking carefully, can still find the watering hole where you have to duck your head to enter it as the doorway was designed for the 1600's average stature.

A timeline would help limit suggestions to those venues in Montreal you could realistically expect to see and enjoy.

Montreal is a city deserving of all the time you can possibly set aside as it's got it all and then some in terms of European flavour to N.American history.

I would cede to far more authoritative and informative input as that coming from those such as Jambo or Akajack and would hope they jump in.

Last edited by BruSan; 03-20-2018 at 09:36 AM..

Old 03-20-2018, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
It depends very heavily upon what you mean by flying in and spending that day in Montreal. That alone can burn through daylight hours contingent upon your flight time into Dorval and where you're staying, if at all, in the city.

If however you're merely passing through by taxiing into Montreal from Dorval to pick up arranged transport to your hotel at Mt Tremblant later in the day.......well, you understand that doesn't leave you much time to even taste the cultural experience of Montreal.

A timeline would help limit suggestions to those venues in Montreal you could realistically expect to see and enjoy.

Montreal is a city deserving of all the time you can possibly set aside as it's got it all and then some in terms of European flavour to N.American history.
We are arriving at 11:30 AM and have a car rental at the airport. We were planning on staying in Montreal until after dinner and then driving to Mont Tremblant. So, yes, our time there is somewhat limited.

Old 03-20-2018, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
We are arriving at 11:30 AM and have a car rental at the airport. We were planning on staying in Montreal until after dinner and then driving to Mont Tremblant. So, yes, our time there is somewhat limited.
Perfect information to allow us to better provide possible sites to visit. I'm going to leave that to others better qualified as I'd give you a list that would have you burning the tires off that car.

Figuring on the usual de-planing, luggage collection and customs, along with the rental car check-out you'll probably be leaving the airport no earlier than 12:30 with a twenty minute drive into the city leaving you a few hours in the city before your hour and half drive to the Mt. Assuming you don't want to arrive at your accommodations too late to afford a comfortable "settle in" of family for a good night's sleep to hit the slopes with gusto.

Old 03-20-2018, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Perfect information to allow us to better provide possible sites to visit. I'm going to leave that to others better qualified as I'd give you a list that would have you burning the tires off that car.

Figuring on the usual de-planing, luggage collection and customs, along with the rental car check-out you'll probably be leaving the airport no earlier than 12:30 with a twenty minute drive into the city leaving you a few hours in the city before your hour and half drive to the Mt. Assuming you don't want to arrive at your accommodations too late to afford a comfortable "settle in" of family for a good night's sleep to hit the slopes with gusto.
So let me put it to you this way, if you had only 1 thing to see in Montreal, what would it be?

Old 03-20-2018, 11:18 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,059,497 times
Quote:
So let me put it to you this way, if you had only 1 thing to see in Montreal, what would it be?
I think BruSan put you on the right track. If you have just a couple of hours to spend in the city I'd go to the old part of town. All in the same area you have Place Jacques-Cartier, city hall (Hôtel de Ville), Marché Bonsecours, Place d'Armes and the Basilique Notre-Dame, and I believe when BruSan said Rue St-Charles he actually meant Rue St-Paul which leads off of Place Jacques-Cartier.

Going out of town towards Tremblant instead of taking the GPS route that will send you on main highways (likely to be jammed at that time anyway), I'd go up Rue St-Denis which you can get onto it (the parts of it near the old town are a one-way going in the other direction), passing by the lovely Carré St-Louis square - where the street conveniently becomes a two-way.

You can follow St-Denis all the way up through the inner city to Autoroute 40 (Métropolitaine) which you get on eastbound (40 EST Ottawa-Gatineau) and then very soon after you exit to the main highway to Tremblant (Autoroute 15 Nord - Laval / St-Jérôme).

Old 03-20-2018, 11:35 AM

Quote:

The city is literally chock-a-block with restaurants of all cuisines and one could very easily recommend a street rather than a particular restaurant as there are
sections like Place Jacques Cartier and streets like St. Denis and Rue St. Charles as two examples that you could walk for blocks and not see the same cuisine twice. stopping into a corner Depanneur store to pick a bottle or two of wine you favour to then present it to the welcoming staff of the restaurant who will then serve it with all of the flourish of any 5 star restaurant is just one of those little experiences that have stayed in my memory banks.

Old Montreal is like no other, (except Quebec City) and one, if looking carefully, can still find the watering hole where you have to duck your head to enter it as the doorway was designed for the 1600's average stature.

I would cede to far more authoritative and informative input as that coming from those such as Jambo or Akajack and would hope they jump in.
This is great! Thank you so much!

Old 03-20-2018, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I think BruSan put you on the right track. If you have just a couple of hours to spend in the city I'd go to the old part of town. All in the same area you have Place Jacques-Cartier, city hall (Hôtel de Ville), Marché Bonsecours, Place d'Armes and the Basilique Notre-Dame, and I believe when BruSan said Rue St-Charles he actually meant Rue St-Paul which leads off of Place Jacques-Cartier.

Going out of town towards Tremblant instead of taking the GPS route that will send you on main highways (likely to be jammed at that time anyway), I'd go up Rue St-Denis which you can get onto it (the parts of it near the old town are a one-way going in the other direction), passing by the lovely Carré St-Louis square - where the street conveniently becomes a two-way.

You can follow St-Denis all the way up through the inner city to Autoroute 40 (Métropolitaine) which you get on eastbound (40 EST Ottawa-Gatineau) and then very soon after you exit to the main highway to Tremblant (Autoroute 15 Nord - Laval / St-Jérôme).
Thank you!

The highways are usually jammed in that direction on Saturday nights? Your way sounds nicer, but how long will the ride take going that way?

Old 03-20-2018, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post

Aaah dang A/J, a senior moment had me thinking Rue Duluth (La Maison Grecque) off St. Denis and confusing it with ??St Charles??, don't ask me why that happens it just does now. Wrong season to really enjoy the courtyard dining there now.

I would totally agree with your suggestion of Place Jacques Cartier as being a target to start with. The number of wonderful restaurants in that area are too many to list.

Old 03-20-2018, 12:05 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,059,497 times
Quote:
Thank you!

The highways are usually jammed in that direction on Saturday nights? Your way sounds nicer, but how long will the ride take going that way?
Oh it's Saturday night. Shouldn't be too bad but traffic delays are always possible in Montreal. Even on Saturday evening.

The itinerary calculators tell me that the inner city non-highway route will take about 15-20 minutes more.

I guess whether or not it's dark factors in to whether it's worth it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada