Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2018, 12:47 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,480,492 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Don't you know? In the USA bigger means better.
Word

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
I agree with you. No compromise. We get the territories of both nations in all their glory.
agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
Why can we not be friends, with different political beliefs, with different constitutional methods, with different approaches, but whose goal is the same?
I want it all.

order from chaos
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2018, 01:09 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,560,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
For some reason, I keep seeing Trump's face when that person told you that they were huge.

'guys, guys, we're gonna build that Wall, it's gonna be Huuugggee'
LOL

Actually it was a friend of my parents from Chicago, We were having dinner in the LA area. He really was a nice guy.

My father just glared at me as he saw me about to answer this claim. I kept my mouth shut.

Old 03-25-2018, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Let's put this flag design nonsense away. For that matter, let's put this "join the US and Canada" nonsense away.

It won't happen, and it's for far more reasons than "the metric system" and "gun rights." It's because that no matter how similar we appear in culture, we are two very different peoples. To most people in the world, we appear similar--my house is no different from a house in a similar American suburb; I speak English, like Americans do; and (sorry, Americans) I don't say "aboot the hoose."

Seriously, are there any other Canadians who are sick of that "check your credit" ad featuring "Kyle from Manitoouba"? That's an insult, and I won't do any business with that company.

Americans, individually and collectively, are our friends, and I have many American friends. But I doubt that their idea of a "constitutional republic" jibes with our idea of a "constitutional monarchy." Fair enough. We can be who we are. We have fought with US forces in conflict (Special Service Force, i.e. the Devil's Brigade, in WWII), we train with US forces, and we have helped them out many times (e.g. landing inbound US flights in Canada on 9/11, and the rescue of US diplomats back in 1979).

Why can we not be friends, with different political beliefs, with different constitutional methods, with different approaches, but whose goal is the same?
Good post.

I agree. I have NO interest in having the US join Canada, or vice versa...and it would be vice versa.

Old 03-25-2018, 01:18 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,328,351 times
Quote:
Let's put this flag design nonsense away. For that matter, let's put this "join the US and Canada" nonsense away.

It won't happen, and it's for far more reasons than "the metric system" and "gun rights." It's because that no matter how similar we appear in culture, we are two very different peoples. To most people in the world, we appear similar--my house is no different from a house in a similar American suburb; I speak English, like Americans do; and (sorry, Americans) I don't say "aboot the hoose."

Seriously, are there any other Canadians who are sick of that "check your credit" ad featuring "Kyle from Manitoouba"? That's an insult, and I won't do any business with that company.

Americans, individually and collectively, are our friends, and I have many American friends. But I doubt that their idea of a "constitutional republic" jibes with our idea of a "constitutional monarchy." Fair enough. We can be who we are. We have fought with US forces in conflict (Special Service Force, i.e. the Devil's Brigade, in WWII), we train with US forces, and we have helped them out many times (e.g. landing inbound US flights in Canada on 9/11, and the rescue of US diplomats back in 1979).

I'm with this.

I don't mind the monarchy. It's a connection to history. I like connections.

I like colour. It's right and it's prettier.

And I don't think Americans and Canadians are interchangeable.

I'd like to import warmer weather to Manitoba although with climate change that's going to come anyway, for good or ill. There's nothing American that I want enough, no offense to Americans. It's a different country. I'd like to keep it that way.

Old 03-25-2018, 01:29 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,043,276 times
Quote:
Good post.

I agree. I have NO interest in having the US join Canada, or vice versa...and it would be vice versa.

I have no interest in a merger of US and Canada either, but I must admit that another entirely separate country - Pacific Cascadia - is starting to sound more appealing to me now.

Old 03-25-2018, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
I have no interest in a merger of US and Canada either, but I must admit that another entirely separate country - Pacific Cascadia - is starting to sound more appealing to me now.

I have my moments too, but overall I want Canada to remain Canada.

Old 03-25-2018, 03:30 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,707,457 times
Forget the US, they are too different from us overall and are too divided at the moment IMO. Perhaps things will change down the road but not in the foreseeable future.
I am more interested in the CANZUK proposal of free movement. I think in terms of our values, we have far more in common with Britons, Australians and New Zealanders than we do with Americans despite being next door.

Old 03-25-2018, 04:00 PM

:
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
Forget the US, they are too different from us overall and are too divided at the moment IMO. Perhaps things will change down the road but not in the foreseeable future.
I am more interested in the CANZUK proposal of free movement. I think in terms of our values, we have far more in common with Britons, Australians and New Zealanders than we do with Americans despite being next door.

Old 03-25-2018, 04:09 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,498,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
I never suggested that it should happen anytime soon. As to the similarities, it really depends on the issues at hand. I still feel that Canada is closest to the US and not just geographically.

I'm in favor of CANZUK, but I'd like it to include the US in it, though that's a whole other topic in itself.

Adding the US to the group will make it more of a union between Anglo countries. We all already share intel through the Five Eyes program.

Without the US, CANZUK loses it's meaning. It essentially becomes a union between different subjects of the British crown. By extension, we should then invite other countries that are part of the Commonwealth.

Of course, none of this can happen until Brexit is finalized.

That's just my personal take on the issue.

Old 03-25-2018, 04:11 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,498,681 times
Quote:
LOL

Actually it was a friend of my parents from Chicago, We were having dinner in the LA area. He really was a nice guy.

My father just glared at me as he saw me about to answer this claim. I kept my mouth shut.
That's the first thing that comes to mind when I hear the word 'huge'. Capitalizing it, just gives it even more weight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada