Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2018, 04:40 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,813,278 times

Advertisements

What twists do Canadians put on Thanksgiving to make it different from its American counterpart? Has deep-fried turkey become popular up there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2018, 04:52 PM

565 posts, read 672,441 times
In Quebec, for most people, it’s just a day off. Thanksgiving is nowhere as big as Christmas Eve. That’s when we will traditionally eat turkey.

Old 11-22-2018, 05:09 PM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
I'm an American spending Thanksgiving in Ontario. Apparently they don't sell turkey or turkey parts at the supermarket when it's not a holiday here. They even have tons of ground chicken, but no ground turkey. They do have those pressed-parts frozen Butterball "roasts", but I opted for a couple of cornish hens instead.

Old 11-22-2018, 05:23 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,328,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I'm an American spending Thanksgiving in Ontario. Apparently they don't sell turkey or turkey parts at the supermarket when it's not a holiday here. They even have tons of ground chicken, but no ground turkey. They do have those pressed-parts frozen Butterball "roasts", but I opted for a couple of cornish hens instead.
Maybe it's a small supermarket? There's plenty of turkey and ground turkey here and it's available all the time.

Old 11-22-2018, 05:34 PM

484 posts, read 1,286,667 times
Quote:
That’s not true. It’s probably the supermarket you went to. I eat turkey all the time, hell I just made turkey wings on Sunday.

Old 11-22-2018, 06:16 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,328,351 times
We never celebrated Thanksgiving when I was growing up. We only started after we kids moved out/got married and I had a couple of sisters who kind of pushed the idea of Thanksgiving in our family.

Our Thanksgiving usually doesn't include a turkey, although we have had it. Sometimes someone brings smoked turkey. Usually, since my parents have a broiler farm, there are a couple of big roasted chickens, meatballs and holupschi (cabbage rolls). There are mashed potatoes, corn, a couple of green salads, someone may bring some kind of potato type casserole. There's cole slaw and far too many desserts to count. I missed Thanksgiving this year thanks to pneumonia.

I have a large family and there are many occasions celebrated through the year, so Thanksgiving is no big deal. Christmas and Easter are the big holidays.

Old 11-22-2018, 06:44 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,407,761 times
This thread is making me hungry.

Old 11-22-2018, 07:39 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,043,276 times
Quote:

I agree with others it's probably just a quirk of circumstance at the grocery store you were shopping at. You should check out some other markets there. We can get fresh or frozen whole turkey or parts or ground turkey pretty much any time of year at most supermarkets across the country. I just today picked up a six pack of fresh turkey thighs at our local No Frills grocery store (a subsidiary of Real Canadian Superstore). Next time you're looking for turkey or parts try the closest RCS to your location. https://www.shopping-canada.com/stor...rstore/ontario

Old 11-22-2018, 08:18 PM

1,299 posts, read 823,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
What twists do Canadians put on Thanksgiving to make it different from its American counterpart? Has deep-fried turkey become popular up there?
Why do you think that Canadians try to make it different? And why would we? Kind of a weird question.

That said, from my online interactions with American friends, it appears that Thanksgiving is a much bigger deal to Americans than it is to Canadians. For my family it was just a day to gather to eat turkey and pie, and watch CFL games.

As far as the food goes, there do seem to be some differences between Canada and the US. Sweet potato pie made with marshmallows sounds totally gross and I have never heard of it in real life. Deep frying turkey seems like a fast way to a Darwin award, and over-complicates things when compared to the delicious simplicity of roasting. I'm sure some Canadians are doing both of these things, thanks to food trends moving around, but I don't know of any personally.

Last edited by bondaroo; 11-22-2018 at 08:28 PM..

Old 11-22-2018, 08:27 PM

1,261 posts, read 567,868 times
Thanksgiving in Canada is celebrated in October (on Columbus Day in the US). Holiday is still nowhere as big as in the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada