Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2019, 12:37 AM

3,208 posts, read 3,555,263 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by uicgrad View Post
"However, urban blight is absent from the city's downtown core and northside neighborhoods—the areas that most Chicagoans and tourists interact with. "

I think there is still some urban blight in uptown (especially Kenmore/Winthrop corridor) as well as along Howard east of Clark and west on North Ave in Austin, and Jarvis near Ashland. Do they still have the homeless tent camps near the overpasses on Lake Shore Drive on the north side or have those been cleaned out? Uptown was the poster child for urban blight in the early 70s. I remember my Dad giving my driving tours on Sunday mornings of the skid row on W. Madison St.

http://wendycitychicago.com/chicagos-skid-row/

http://galleries.apps.chicagotribune...otos-20140611/
Uptown is probably the northside's most problematic neighborhood. However, gentrification is starting to nip at its heels. It's becoming a nightlife destination. I find myself at the Aragon and the Riviera on a regular basis. Argyle has long been a stalwart of Asian restaurants. It's pretty active throughout the day. Buena Park on the south end of Uptown has always been upscale.

Uptown doesn't have any 'urban blight,' nor do any other northside neighborhoods. It simply has historically had more low-income residents and crime than most of the other northside neighborhoods. 'Urban blight' refers to areas where there are many abandoned properties, infrastructure decay, and falling/low property values. There is nowhere on the northside of Chicago that fits that description.

Austin isn't the northside, so I don't know why that community was mentioned. Howard east of Clark has improved quite a bit. There is development, including luxury apartments on the Evanston side (there is a sliver of Evanston east of Clark on Howard) and a stable shopping center on the Chicago side. The City has invested quite a bit in beautification projects improving the streetscape. Willye B. White Park and community house are very well put together. Virtually all of the storefronts within a couple blocks of the Howard station are occupied, and vacancy farther east is pretty low. All of the liquor stores have stayed strong even though Evanston's laws have liberalized rather quickly and dramatically.

Homelessness has no relationship to urban blight. Chicago's homeless population is much smaller than more expensive and growing cities like Los Angeles, San Francisco, Vancouver, and Seattle. Chicago's homeless population is also falling. The 'homeless tent camps' that pop up on occasion underneath overpasses have nothing on the 'tent cities' that pop up in California.

We also shouldn't rib too hard on the United States, because urban blight is a significant problem in the United Kingdom, France, Italy, South Africa, and many other affluent countries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada