Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2019, 09:42 AM

225 posts, read 152,902 times

Advertisements

I get a strong feeling that Quebec has a bad reputation in the ROC. This is from my experience traveling in the country and also polls or maybe some of the posts in Canada. Like, OK, we get hate, and then they are to wonder why is it that there are so many separatists.

Fractured federation: Amid competing priorities, which provinces believe they give & get more from Canada? - Angus Reid Institute
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2019, 11:38 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,057,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quebec Is My Country View Post

I get a strong feeling that Quebec has a bad reputation in the ROC. This is from my experience traveling in the country and also polls or maybe some of the posts in Canada. Like, OK, we get hate, and then they are to wonder why is it that there are so many separatists.

Fractured federation: Amid competing priorities, which provinces believe they give & get more from Canada? - Angus Reid Institute

Thanks for posting the above report from January of last year. I know it's a year old but I found it interesting and was pleased to see that it was inclusive instead of exclusive, about all of Canada, not just focused on only one or two provinces.

Your particular question with regard to Quebec has already swamped the Canada forum and been getting addressed exhaustively in several topics on the forum since July 2019 and there are still a couple of threads that are ongoing about it. You have either started or participated in several of them yourself so I'm sure you're aware of that. So I will pass on making any comments about Quebec's reputation in this thread since I think enough is enough and too many threads about one topic is not constructive, it's waspish and self-centered overload. You could have just as easily posted your comment and the link to that report in one of the other active threads about Quebec and its reputation instead of starting yet one more thread about it.

Old 12-31-2019, 12:28 PM

225 posts, read 152,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Thanks for posting the above report from January of last year. I know it's a year old but I found it interesting and was pleased to see that it was inclusive instead of exclusive, about all of Canada, not just focused on only one or two provinces.

Your particular question with regard to Quebec has already swamped the Canada forum and been getting addressed exhaustively in several topics on the forum since July 2019 and there are still a couple of threads that are ongoing about it. You have either started or participated in several of them yourself so I'm sure you're aware of that. So I will pass on making any comments about Quebec's reputation in this thread since I think enough is enough and too many threads about one topic is not constructive, it's waspish and self-centered overload. You could have just as easily posted your comment and the link to that report in one of the other active threads about Quebec and its reputation instead of starting yet one more thread about it.

I have not started another thread on any topic like this. I have started threads in the Canada and USA threads about traveling in North America.

I think you are an active poster with negative views on Quebec. But why?

Quebec gives more to Canada than we receive yet you said we are parasites, like Nazi terminology regarding undesired populaces.

Quebec is part of Canada for me. I think we have made great contributions but there are typically several of our Countrymen grouping together to insult us. This is a legitimate question. If it is an emotional subject then let's have an open discussion!

(Apologies for my English grammar)

Old 01-01-2020, 03:54 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,336,651 times
Quote:

Quebec gives more to Canada than we receive

Your English is fine.. Why do people have negatives about Quebec? well a lot of people dont like the forced linguistics eg bill101,the OQLF, bill21 and bill 20 also the incessant whining from the francophone culture, also paying Quebec close to 14 billion in transfer payments. Nows your chance to tell me what Quebec gives to Canada..

Old 01-01-2020, 06:19 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,502,847 times
Quote:
I have not started another thread on any topic like this. I have started threads in the Canada and USA threads about traveling in North America.

Quebec gives more to Canada than we receive yet you said we are parasites, like Nazi terminology regarding undesired populaces.

Quebec is part of Canada for me. I think we have made great contributions but there are typically several of our Countrymen grouping together to insult us. This is a legitimate question. If it is an emotional subject then let's have an open discussion!

You've just given the most eloquent and descriptive reason yourself, not just with your deliberately controversial thread title, but with this response to a poster who did NOT state you started threads about this topic but rather, contributed to the many threads already encompassing this topic.

You've also accused them of originating the "parasite" accusation when, to the best of my recollection the poster did no such thing.

You've chosen to apply a "Nazi" comparator to a poster who has been the LEAST vociferous and probably the most restrained and reasoned among those of us prepared to disparage Quebecers in these threads who state quite openly they think of themselves and their Province as being a separate country, want nothing to do with confederation and their avowed hope is for Quebec to attain everything they can bully from the ROC before leaving the arrangement that they themselves are the ones making awkward and uncomfortable.

You aren't interested in ascertaining or seeking understanding, you're simply stirring an already simmering pot for the fun of generating yet another thread where whining about Quebec being unfairly criticized becomes the theme while virtually all of those other threads on here started by Quebecers are doing nothing but the exact opposite - vilifying Canada.

Go ahead have your fun but consider the cost of doing so with each of these stupid threads generated for no good purpose other than to continue a false meme of "victimhood".

Old 01-05-2020, 09:11 PM

193 posts, read 217,273 times
Being a foreigner, neither Canadian nor Quebecois, I must say that ROC hates Quebec for being different. Quebec is sort of the ugly duckling of Canada. Quebec wants to do its own thing. I must say that the linguistic difference is a huge factor. It's sort of like the kid that gets bullied in school for being different.

Old 01-05-2020, 09:48 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,501,841 times
Why did all these threads suddenly start to show up? When I first joined CD, there wasn't any of this stuff around.

Old 01-05-2020, 09:57 PM

909 posts, read 1,154,392 times
I don't hate Quebec and its people but I do hate the politics. Please read my post in the "Quebec Destroying Canada" thread to find out why.

Old 01-06-2020, 02:14 AM

3,602 posts, read 2,311,348 times
Oh well, we loved Quebec when we had a couple of weeks there and found the people were just so friendly to us, despite our basic French! Enjoyed every single day there.

Old 01-06-2020, 10:39 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,057,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post

Why did all these threads suddenly start to show up? When I first joined CD, there wasn't any of this stuff around.

In a nutshell, because 2019 was a federal election year. You joined in 2017 didn't you? If so you haven't been around long enough to see the patterns, and there is a long term pattern to it. These kinds of threads are common enough and can happen at any time within any year but there's not usually so many of them as there was in the past year. This past year the more numerous posts and topics about this sort of Quebec stuff was started by just a few posters in late spring/early summer last year and they continued encouraging each other and stirring the pot and swamping the board with it from there.

Someone else who has been an astute long time member of the board explained in another thread that this sort of "QC vs. ROC" pot stirring, complaining and finger pointing is a political tactic used online everywhere by certain Quebecois dissidents as well as foreign trolls and that it commonly occurs most frequently during either provincial or federal election years when they're trying hardest to get people all riled up. Well, October 2019 was Canada's federal election, and yes there's some pot stirring hot-headed hangers on are still stuck in 2019.

Last edited by Zoisite; 01-06-2020 at 10:52 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada