Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2020, 07:02 AM

58 posts, read 55,855 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am an American living in Canada. I have an 800 credit score back in The US. Apparently this does not carry over. I need a credit card here in Canada.

Are there any credit card companies at all that can use my American credit score to get me a Canadian credit card?

When I search online, I can only find information on Canadians looking for U.S. credit cards, my case is the opposite. Every time, no matter how I word it, it always says something along the lines of "How to get US credit card in Canada" or "Getting US Credit Cards for Canadians."

Last edited by FNH5-7; 03-10-2020 at 07:11 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2020, 07:52 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,052,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FNH5-7 View Post
Are there any credit card companies at all that can use my American credit score to get me a Canadian credit card?

I don't think that there is. When I moved back to Canada from the U.S. -- also with a perfect credit score -- I had to start from scratch. Just apply for a credit card from your bank. They will likely give you a low-amount credit card (like $500). USE IT! Use it as much as you can and pay in full every month. That will build your credit.

Old 03-10-2020, 11:49 PM

577 posts, read 1,477,241 times
Amex and MBNA (now owned by TD) MasterCard are the Canadian newcomer's friend.
That's how I got started.

Good luck!

Old 03-11-2020, 12:18 AM

5,455 posts, read 3,392,746 times
Your credit history is available to the credit card companies no matter where you live. After all how could they make a decision whether you are good risk.

Old 03-11-2020, 03:05 AM

58 posts, read 55,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty61 View Post
Your credit history is available to the credit card companies no matter where you live. After all how could they make a decision whether you are good risk.
That’s what I thought. But the response that I get is that it’s a totally different system.

Old 03-11-2020, 06:43 AM

7,682 posts, read 5,535,357 times
I suggest following Dawn’s advice to build your credit score. Supplement that for the time being with a prepaid card which you can load online so you have to carry less cash with you.

Old 03-11-2020, 08:26 AM

577 posts, read 1,477,241 times
Quote:
Sorry, but that's not true. Even with international conglomerate Credit Report Agencies, with strong worldwide presence, such as Equifax, are bound to nation-wide privacy and data retention laws. So they can't just transfer info from a credit history held with a country A, to another country B.

Disclaimer: I've worked with Equifax Canada for 5 years.

Old 03-11-2020, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Have you moved from Canada to the U.S.? I have.
Have you moved from the U.S. to Canada? I have.

Your credit history from one country is NOT available -- or applicable -- in another country.

I should add, too, that how much $$$$$$ you have in the bank -- even in the country where you're trying to get a credit card -- has no bearing on them giving you a card. Ask me how I know.

Apply for a credit card. They'll give you a low-amount one. Pay it on time. Better yet, overpay it. Pay $$ against it so that you always have credit available and also so that it's on record that you're good for it.

Last edited by DawnMTL; 03-11-2020 at 11:14 AM..

Old 03-11-2020, 08:39 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,055,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smihaila View Post
Amex and MBNA (now owned by TD) MasterCard are the Canadian newcomer's friend.
That's how I got started.

Good luck!
I can use my American credit card in foreign countries, and pay my bill in the normal way. Why wouldn't that work?

My card company doesn't even charge currency exchange fees.

Old 03-12-2020, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
I can use my American credit card in foreign countries, and pay my bill in the normal way. Why wouldn't that work?

My card company doesn't even charge currency exchange fees.
The OP is living in Canada and wants to establish credit in Canada. When you charge purchases to your American CC, it converts to USD. The OP is living in Canada -- why would they want to then pay in USD for Canadian purchases?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada