Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Canada becoming an Asian country?
Yes 12 27.27%
No 21 47.73%
I don't know 11 25.00%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2020, 01:07 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,043,276 times

Advertisements

Canada's ethnic demographics

Source is Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) Field Listing of ethnic groups in Canada: https://www.cia.gov/library/publicat...ields/400.html

Canadian 32.3%,
English 18.3%,
Scottish 13.9%,
French 13.6%,
Irish 13.4%,
German 9.6%,
Chinese 5.1%,
Italian 4.6%,
North American Indian 4.4%,
East Indian 4%,
other 51.6% (2016 est.)

For additional information and percentages about "Other" ethnic groups not specified above because of lack of space see this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demogr...nada#Ethnicity

note: percentages add up to more than 100% because respondents are able to identify more than one ethnic origin

Mother Tongue languages spoken in Canada (hint - it's every language in the world): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demogr...nada#Languages

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2020, 01:22 PM

305 posts, read 294,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Canada's ethnic demographics
Thank you.
Would you show a video of Canadian traditional music with Asian-Canadian musicians?
I think there was a Portuguese immigration in Hawaii, and ukulele was derived from a small Portuguese guitar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgD-3JBGvt4

Old 07-02-2020, 01:37 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,043,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qazz12 View Post

Thank you.
Would you show a video of Canadian traditional music with Asian-Canadian musicians? ......
Sorry, no, as I don't have the time or interest to invest in that, and I don't do videos anyway. But you shouldn't have any trouble researching online for such things yourself if you care to invest your own time and interest in it.

Old 07-02-2020, 01:44 PM

305 posts, read 294,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Sorry, no, as I don't have the time or interest to invest in that, and I don't do videos anyway. But you shouldn't have any trouble researching online for such things yourself if you care to invest your own time and interest in it.
I asked you because I suppose you know more of Canada than I do, and I didn't find any videos with those characteristics. Thanks anyway.

Old 07-02-2020, 01:57 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,040,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qazz12 View Post
Thank you.
Would you show a video of Canadian traditional music with Asian-Canadian musicians?
l]
Not sure what are you are getting at here?

For starters, I think we'd need to define "Canadian traditional music". Not an easy thing to do.

Old 07-02-2020, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
I don't suddenly see 70 percent of the population of Canada being populated by those so against what Canada stands for. ( our immigration policies don't allow that many in ) Even the very small minority of those new immigrants opposed to certain rights, quickly find out that their views go against the law of the land. You must also must understand that gay rights have been entrenched in Canadian law years before the US. Not just equal marriage but adoption and accepting gays in the military. In others words, it's not so new to us.

I know from experience that some asian immigrants against LGBTQ2 rights came from societies that had our 1950's views. They learn. Especially parents of LGBTQ2 children soon find out that Canadian society, for the vast part, does not reject them. Which is a parents greatest fear.
I am kind of in the middle on this one. I don't think immigrants will change Canada's values overnight but I think it's overly assumptive to believe that immigrants and their children and grandchildren born and raised in Canada will inevitably adopt mellower Canadian values simply by virtue of living here.

Communities that have critical mass and low rates of marriage outside the group can certainly preserve a strong and parallel values system over multiple generations.

Old 07-02-2020, 02:06 PM

In terms of the racial aspect that is the crux of the OP, in order for that to happen we'd need to see very low rates of inter-marriage (with other groups) on the part of Asian-Canadians. I don't think we're really seeing that on a large scale, though there are exceptions with some groups - chiefly for religious or cultural reasons as opposed to racial ones, though.

Old 07-02-2020, 02:12 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,560,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I am kind of in the middle on this one. I don't think immigrants will change Canada's values overnight but I think it's overly assumptive to believe that immigrants and their children and grandchildren born and raised in Canada will inevitably adopt mellower Canadian values simply by virtue of living here.

Communities that have critical mass and low rates of marriage outside the group can certainly preserve a strong and parallel values system over multiple generations.
I see no evidence of that. I grew up surrounded by immigrant families and their children did not adopt their parents attitudes, far from it. They usually made efforts to distance themselves from " old country " ways.

You also have to agree that it's impossible for these children to exist in a bubble. Media, social media, school, interactions with other Canadians have a major role to play in creating who they are.

Old 07-02-2020, 02:13 PM

909 posts, read 1,153,846 times
Economically Canada cannot survive without its immigration. There is a low birth rate in the country so there would be little growth without immigration. The reason most of it is from Asia because that's the most populated part of the earth and also many people looking to escape war-torn countries from that area and looking for a new life.

Old 07-02-2020, 02:16 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,407,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
In terms of the racial aspect that is the crux of the OP, in order for that to happen we'd need to see very low rates of inter-marriage (with other groups) on the part of Asian-Canadians. I don't think we're really seeing that on a large scale, though there are exceptions with some groups - chiefly for religious or cultural reasons as opposed to racial ones, though.
According to what I have read online, Asians in Canada are some of the least likely to marry outside of their own ethnic group.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada