Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Canada really more racist than the United States?
The USA is more racist than Canada 3 14.29%
Canada is more racist than the USA 12 57.14%
There is no real difference 6 28.57%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2015, 09:57 AM

156 posts, read 200,298 times

Advertisements

This poll is mostly directed towards people of colour from the U.S. and Canada. If you have any experience in each country, which one did you find more racist against black people? Many African Americans claim that Canada is actually more racist, so I am interested to know. I agree there is some denial in Canada that racism could exist here, so I would like to know from people who have to live through it every day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2015, 10:08 AM

26,875 posts, read 38,014,760 times
Not sure there are many black Canadians on this forum. Hope you get some responses from them.

That said, while I will obviously defer to their views, my prediction is that most of them will say that Canada is less racist than the U.S. as they have mostly been socialized and acclimatized to Canadian society and its views (particularly its views on the U.S.).

Most of the black Canadians I know (most of them living in either Quebec or Ontario) would say that Canada is not perfect, but that it's at least not as bad as the U.S. for racism - since racism is entrenched in the history and is more systematic down there.

At least that is my sense...

Old 08-10-2015, 10:56 AM

3,863 posts, read 5,288,028 times
This is the type of poll you should have made public. There are not many of "us" who post regularly on this board and there are even fewer of "us" that have actual real life experience living in both countries.

Personally if I was to vote, it would be the 3rd option, as I feel there is no major difference on balance.

Obviously there will be more racial incidents in the US and a longer racial history as there are more black people in the US than there are people in Canada. Also the fact that Canada was able to escape the slave trade because of agricultural reasons, not moral reasons as is popular opinion.

Now if the question was where do I personally feel more comfortable living? I would say a major American city. I have been a victim of the bad (Racial/nationalistic slurs, police harassment, racism in the workplace) to the same degree in both the Canadian city I lived in and the US cities I lived in. At the same time in the US cities I feel like there are more resources in place for people of colour to latch onto if there is a racial incident. There are larger black professional, political and cultural organizations in place. You have to be black to understand how important these institutions are to your life because both countries are dominated by the typical old white man groups that are not as inclusive as you would like to believe.

Now to be fair, Canada falls short in this instance in big part due to population and just not having as many blacks people as the US. That of course is due to no fault of their own. So the effects of the slave trade have left a legacy in both countries, some good and some bad.

Finally I do find that you can have a more informed and open conversation about race in the US vs Canada. Americans are forced to own their racial history, while Canadians can easily wash over theirs as the treatment of blacks historically in Canada is not very well documented or taught to their citizens. I think alot of white Canadians would be shocked if they heard the conversations we had amongst ourselves. It would be uncomfortable but beneficial to have those conversations out in the open one day.

Old 08-10-2015, 03:59 PM

283 posts, read 327,565 times
I don't know about more but certainly as much racist as the US is

Canadian racists are generally more bold due to the demographics of the country from my experiences.

No big deal. Great country to visit. Would never live there.

Old 08-10-2015, 07:28 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,871,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
This is the type of poll you should have made public. There are not many of "us" who post regularly on this board and there are even fewer of "us" that have actual real life experience living in both countries.

Personally if I was to vote, it would be the 3rd option, as I feel there is no major difference on balance.

Obviously there will be more racial incidents in the US and a longer racial history as there are more black people in the US than there are people in Canada. Also the fact that Canada was able to escape the slave trade because of agricultural reasons, not moral reasons as is popular opinion.

Now if the question was where do I personally feel more comfortable living? I would say a major American city. I have been a victim of the bad (Racial/nationalistic slurs, police harassment, racism in the workplace) to the same degree in both the Canadian city I lived in and the US cities I lived in. At the same time in the US cities I feel like there are more resources in place for people of colour to latch onto if there is a racial incident. There are larger black professional, political and cultural organizations in place. You have to be black to understand how important these institutions are to your life because both countries are dominated by the typical old white man groups that are not as inclusive as you would like to believe.

Now to be fair, Canada falls short in this instance in big part due to population and just not having as many blacks people as the US. That of course is due to no fault of their own. So the effects of the slave trade have left a legacy in both countries, some good and some bad.

Finally I do find that you can have a more informed and open conversation about race in the US vs Canada. Americans are forced to own their racial history, while Canadians can easily wash over theirs as the treatment of blacks historically in Canada is not very well documented or taught to their citizens. I think alot of white Canadians would be shocked if they heard the conversations we had amongst ourselves. It would be uncomfortable but beneficial to have those conversations out in the open one day.
On the whole - I think this is an excellent post!

Old 08-11-2015, 07:20 AM

1,217 posts, read 2,598,872 times
I'm not black but I've lived in both countries and have black friends on both sides of the border and have had numerous conversations on this topic. On the whole, I think they would be similar in terms of racism based on what I've heard. Black friends I have in Canada have experienced racism in some form or another at some point in their life and I've actually witnessed a couple of incidents myself firsthand growing up. Racism is not just about sensationalized race riots in black enclaves against police brutality we see on TV (and run ins with the police are not uncommon in Toronto too) or some rural hillbilly saying something ignorant, the institutionalized form is actually much more common today. I believe if a black person works hard and pushes forward, however, they can make something of themselves in either country but there are barriers and challenges to overcome for sure, and not everyone can get past them. And there are plenty of idiots in the US, Canada, France, Hong Kong, etc. Neither country is morally superior in this regard IMO but there are probably more idiots in the US numerically due to its sheer size and history.

I do find "black culture" and institutions, however, much more developed in the United States which is obviously driven by a different historical events. The sheer population size, deep history, political and social influence, civil rights outlets and support networks much more dominant in American society compared to Canada. This creates not only a comfort zone but helps push blacks forward, but there is still a ways to go. I've had black friends when I lived in the US who networked through Black MBA associations and landed great positions. Although they exist, I don't see as many success stories in Canada on this front. I had a black friend do a rotation with a major international bank in Toronto and he noticed the same thing. He had a good rotation, but he did admit that he felt more comfortable in a metro with more black culture/middle class. It's the same thing a friend's black husband said after he moved to Canada and then subsequently back. And I actually had the opportunity to a talk to a Raptor (former now) at a charitable event once and he indirectly said the same thing to me. I've noticed how the allure of black culture and support is a huge pull that at least help mitigate racial challenges.

Old 08-11-2015, 07:50 AM

15,102 posts, read 15,871,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnathanc View Post
I'm not black but I've lived in both countries and have black friends on both sides of the border and have had numerous conversations on this topic. On the whole, I think they would be similar in terms of racism based on what I've heard. Black friends I have in Canada have experienced racism in some form or another at some point in their life and I've actually witnessed a couple of incidents myself firsthand growing up. Racism is not just about sensationalized race riots in black enclaves against police brutality we see on TV (and run ins with the police are not uncommon in Toronto too) or some rural hillbilly saying something ignorant, the institutionalized form is actually much more common today. I believe if a black person works hard and pushes forward, however, they can make something of themselves in either country but there are barriers and challenges to overcome for sure, and not everyone can get past them. And there are plenty of idiots in the US, Canada, France, Hong Kong, etc. Neither country is morally superior in this regard IMO but there are probably more idiots in the US numerically due to its sheer size and history.

I do find "black culture" and institutions, however, much more developed in the United States which is obviously driven by a different historical events. The sheer population size, deep history, political and social influence, civil rights outlets and support networks much more dominant in American society compared to Canada. This creates not only a comfort zone but helps push blacks forward, but there is still a ways to go. I've had black friends when I lived in the US who networked through Black MBA associations and landed great positions. Although they exist, I don't see as many success stories in Canada on this front. I had a black friend do a rotation with a major international bank in Toronto and he noticed the same thing. He had a good rotation, but he did admit that he felt more comfortable in a metro with more black culture/middle class. It's the same thing a friend's black husband said after he moved to Canada and then subsequently back. And I actually had the opportunity to a talk to a Raptor (former now) at a charitable event once and he indirectly said the same thing to me. I've noticed how the allure of black culture and support is a huge pull that at least help mitigate racial challenges.
I think this is also an excellent post.. I haven't lived in the U.S but I think many Canadians look at the poorer parts of the U.S and the black experience in ghetto's or the latest black youth shot in many U.S cities by a white cop as the gauge for the black experience in the U.S.. While this is a part of it, there is also a huge middle and upper class black society in the U.S as well with those support systems you've mentioned that really can only be found in the U.S given the size and history of that community in the U.S.. This is why on the whole I think Ed's post was not only excellent for his personal experience as a black man living in both, but also he did so objectively and in a balanced manner.

Anyway, racism doesn't have to be in your face and on TV - it can be silent and insidious and I personally welcome the discussion about the topic here as a white Canadian.

Old 08-11-2015, 08:10 AM

3,863 posts, read 5,288,028 times
Excellent posts from both Jonathan and Fusion. Shows you dont have to be black to keep an open mind and understand the black experience. Bravo!

Old 08-11-2015, 09:06 AM

26,875 posts, read 38,014,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnathanc View Post

Edward posted some thing like this a few years ago on here and it was the first time I had really thought about it. It actually opened my eyes.

Old 08-11-2015, 03:33 PM

692 posts, read 957,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post

Agree 110%

I'll also point out that because most Black Canadians are of very recent immigrant origin, not as many feel as connected to or invested in Canada both in terms of how they self-identify and how much resources and time are placed into the development of their own community here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada